Day 3 - Much to celebrate, if you look closely

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Day 3 - Much to celebrate, if you look closely

I hear so many voices around me saying, “2020 sucks!” “This is the worst year ever!” “Screw this! I’m not going to live in fear!” All appropriate responses to a year that has thrown us curve ball, upon curve ball.

Friends have lost loved ones. Friends have lost jobs. And I am acutely aware of just how lucky I am.

We all thought this was going to be over in a few months, but here we are. Life will not be the same. But that doesn’t mean life has to suck, or, that we have to live in fear. Quite the opposite, 2020 has been a year of growth for me. Has it been easy? Absolutely not. But I choose to use this year as an opportunity, and not a lost cause. It’s an opportunity to evaluate what is really important to you. It’s an opportunity to expand your creativity. It’s an opportunity to learn what makes you happy. It’s an opportunity to find creative solutions to problems you never dreamed you would face. The result? You WILL come out stronger.

IMG_6601.JPGIMG_6604.JPG

I began the year believing something wonderful was about to happen. Then the pandemic hit. A month or so later I had an abysmal experience with Airbnb Customer Service which was the final straw, so I put the brakes on hosting. In a dramatic fashion I swore off Airbnb as a host and a guest! At least temporarily. I love hosting so I knew I’d be back at some point.

Early this summer I decided in spite of all the craziness, I was going to continue the year the same way I started it by choosing to believe that “something wonderful is about to happen.” So, I made wonderful things happen. One business that wasn’t affected by the pandemic in my area? Real estate. It was a seller’s market and my cookie-cutter, suburban neighborhood house had no sentimental value to me. So, on the market it went. My house went under contract in four days. I’d always wanted to live in a downtown cottage with some history and character. I looked and that’s exactly what I found. And someone else had already done the renovating!

It’s amazing what a change of scenery and a little perspective will do. I’m in a dream house. I have amazing neighbors and endless sidewalks to explore with my dog Griffin. I’ve strengthened friendships. I have enough projects to keep me busy as long as any restrictions from the pandemic stretch on. Am I living in fear? Most definitely not. Nothing says lack of creativity and unwillingness to change like the person who tells me I’m living in fear because I choose not to participate in certain activities I used participate in, prior to the pandemic. I am being safe and enjoying what life has to offer. And that’s my wish for everyone who has taken the time to read this. Be safe, and live your life to the fullest!

“That’s the way we’ve always done it” is often said to be the most dangerous phrase in business. Remember, “the way we’ve always done it” isn’t the only way to do life.

*I'm not very good with a camera, but Griffin wanted me to post pics of him showing off his new home.

38 Replies 38

@Melodie-And-John0  I have been trying to figure out what the fireplace is made of. At first I thought maybe some sort of hardy plaster, but it feels like some kind of stone. You can't really tell from the picture, but not only is the fireplace covered in it, the entire wall on either side of the fireplace is covered with it!

There were foundation issues prior to moving in so a couple steel beams now reside underneath the house that I was told will not budge.

It looks to me like it was originally exposed stone that got plastered over- you can see the outlines of the large stones under the plastering. As you say there were foundation issues, perhaps the stonework developed a lot of cracks and that was the fix. 

Congrats on your new abode. Moving house is almost always rejuvenating, especially since it usually involves getting rid of all the detritus we seem to collect over the years. 

@Suzanne302

@Sarah977  It was VERY satisfying to do a huge purge of "stuff" prior to the move. My old house was 3 bedrooms with a 2-car garage and much had accumulated that I didn't really need. This house is only 2 bedrooms, and no garage so a purge was definitely necessary and I've decided to only bring items into the house I truly love, and when I don't love them anymore, out they go!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very Marie Kondo @Suzanne302! It's so satisfying to have a clear-out 😊

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Wow and awesome to see another positive person here in CC @Suzanne302 
I've missed your contributions to.

What an amazing adventure to wander into.

Have you looked up the historic land Deeds/ Title for your home?
If you go back to the one from the 1920's one will find names of previous owners on it, with that information one can oft find further history on them and the property, architects etc - perhaps even historic photographs in your Newspaper and Library/ Museum archives online.

Maybe if and when Griff let's you have time have a browse.

It's fabulous you are having some quality @Suzanne302 and @Griffen-Suzanne time.

All the best for a relaxing and fun filled Christmas in your new abode - You may or may not be aware @Quincy also moved homes this year with his kitty cat..

@Helen427  Thanks Helen! The neighborhood is listed in the National Register of Historic Places so from those records I was able to find the name of the original owner and learned that his occupation was "Bookkeeper". That info was from the 1926 phone book and it's interesting that they must have listed occupations with names. I'm fascinated with history so hopefully I can find a researcher at the local library that can help me locate more info!

@Suzanne302 That's great they have the earlier Telephone Books, they have some of them in our Auckland City Archives Library Basement section.

They tended to include occupations in historic Electoral Rolls to, our earlier ones are tucked in NZ National Library collections, Papers Past NZ section so more than likely have those details in yours to Suzanne.

@Ria16 @Laura2484 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Helen427 @Suzanne302  The dog cushion is super cute 😍

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thank you for sharing @Suzanne302 , hope you and Griffin enjoy your new home, great neighbours and local walks. ‘ Living in fear, by no means. Congrats for being bold and seizing your opportunities!’

Festive joy and wishes.☀️

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

Congratulations on your move @Suzanne302 and for your bold move during a pandemic!! Your new house is lovely - do you plan to host from there?  Thanks for a great post!

@Debi1  Thanks!

I would like to host here eventually but not until the pandemic is under control.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Suzanne302 

Congrats on your new house! 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Katie @Nick @Lizzie  I forgot to mention if you look closely on the mantle, proudly on display you will see a cute little beeswax candle sent to me by the fabulous mods of the CC! Katie and Nick, I think that was before you signed on, but Lizzie should remember!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww I do remember @Suzanne302, it was shortly after we held the Festival of Hospitality last year and you wrote that amazing piece for it. Hoping we might be able to host that again in 2021. The candle fits perfectly on you mantle piece. 

Your new home looks super, I like that you can walk so freely between the rooms (perfect if you ever want to rock out to some tunes on the radio! haha - please tell me that's not just me!).

It's lovely to hear you are all settled in and love your new neighbourhood. Did you have to do much to the house when you moved in? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie  Yes, I love the way all three rooms flow into each other. Perfect for entertaining.....just not during a pandemic.  But I definitely hold solo dance parties, haha!

The house was bought by an investor and completely remodeled, then sold to me, so the major stuff was taken care of. But as with any old house there is always the "unexpected" so I have had to do a few things for maintenance.