Day 30 - Christmas by the beach

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Day 30 - Christmas by the beach

My introduction of Christmas by the Beach starts with December, as it is the last month of the year. For me December is; summer, longer twilight, children and family gatherings, sharing and caring for family, friends and neighbours, barbeques, picnics, parties and happy cheer. Abundance of tropical fruits, cherries, seafood, holidays and Airbnb guests.

Christmas in December is a time for reflection of our last year, having the spirit and belief in self-resilience, dreams, and hope for the future along with our prayers,

My 1st week of December begins by walking along the beach 600 metres from home and this is my view of Moona Moona creek opening out to Jervis Bay.

Laurelle3_0-1640865812169.jpeg

On the way home these Australian native Galahs were feeding on seeds from the wattle trees just around the corner from my house.

Laurelle3_1-1640865877988.jpeg

Our beachside town (Huskisson) is starting to get the feeling of Christmas with some houses and businesses starting to put up their Christmas decorations. 

The first weekend I decided to go looking for Santa on the beach but instead found a collection of colourful sailing boats and the skippers waiting for the weather to change.

I had a message to say because the weather has been so bad Santa has decided to pack up his sack and go home to his family and won't be back till next year.But I found this Santa surfing the waves with Australian native Echidna, Cockatoo, Kangaroo, Platypus and a Koala or two.

Laurelle3_2-1640865920269.jpeg

Laurelle3_3-1640865940964.png

The second week in December by the beach has begun with Christmas luncheons, get-togethers and finish of the year activities. Schools are getting ready to wind down for the year with school concerts, speech and academic awards. 

Tourism to our coastal town has been increasing each week but the weather hasn't been the best with rain and more rain. Our guests have been out and about touring the local area, walking along the beach in the rain. When at home our guests tell me they have been doing jigsaws, puzzles, playing games, catching up on videos and movies.

Sunshine is out for the weekend with people spending time on the beach, parents with children, teenagers full of energy, oldies strolling slowly as the beach is made for everyone to share.

Laurelle3_4-1640865976417.jpeg

Or taking time out relaxing, sunbaking, getting away from others. This beach is 600 metres from my home.

Sunday is the day of the beach markets with a collection of trash or treasures, fresh fruit and vegetables, cooked edible foods and coffee, arts and crafts with new ideas or recycled stuff as in the photo below.

Laurelle3_5-1640866010398.jpeg

Week three in December by the beach was starting to feel and look like there was a change in the air with Christmas decorations on houses and businesses being dressed up for the season. Picture below is of a decorated house around the corner from my house.

Laurelle3_6-1640866040875.jpeg

The challenge of putting up the Christmas tree this year started with my husband resurrecting the artificial tree from the garage and the box of decorations.The family tradition was always the first weekend of the summer school holidays (something for the kids to do). When putting the decorations on the tree that we had collected over the years it brought back memories over 52 years of our family gatherings with our children.

It even brought a tear thinking that we will be separated this year because of travel rules with that "Covid Bug". But on the bright side we have zoom so we can meet on Christmas morning.

Week four in December by the beach we have continued with dressing our house with a small collection of lights and saying we are here. Along with cooking treats to give away for relatives, friends, my neighbours and our guests.

Our small town is buzzing with tourists and accommodations are full and the caravan park is filling up for Christmas. 

Tonight is Christmas eve and I am finishing off mosaicing a Christmas present for my 88 year old neighbour. I have made gift bags for my guests 3 children and have just taken them down to the cottage doorstep for them to find in the morning.

Laurelle3_7-1640866074307.jpeg

Our simple Christmas lights from our house to yours. Merry Christmas one and all. 

I have a poem to share with you all. 

An Australian Christmas.  

1.   Australians have a special way,              2.   Christmas pud is a pav instead,

Of spreading Christmas cheer.           While lunch is on the beach. 

Ploughing snow is a big no no,                     Cold ham replaces the turkey      

We have sun over here.                                And we have 3 servings of each.

1.   Kangaroos help Santa out,                      4.   Forget the fur lined boots this year

Cause reindeers just won't do.                      Thongs is what you need this year,

For they don't know the bush that well,         Rudolf will have to sit it out,

Roos just bound on through.                         While Skippy takes the lead.

1. But don't you worry, have no fear,

Santa's used to us down here.

(Author Unknown).

The photo below is Christmas coloured flowers outside the Airbnb cottage bedroom.

Laurelle3_8-1640866116484.jpeg

On Boxing Day for over fourty years the carnival comes to our beachside town for fun, excitement, rides, hot food and fairy floss. At the end of night there is a fireworks display for everyone to share and say goodnight.

Laurelle3_9-1640866141710.png

Why I live by the beach?

My husband and I chose to live here because I had holidayed here in my childhood for many years. Since then, the village of Huskisson and the number of residential land is still the same. But, the houses and styles have changed over the years and Huskisson is still surrounded by bush, forests and the beach.

What I love is the closeness to Huskisson Beach and Moona Moona Creek which is tidal and child friendly. At night if the tide and wind in the bay is right you can hear the waves crashing on the beach.

The call of the birdlife can be heard in the evening and in the mornings such as; parrots, kookaburras, blue wrens, yellow breasted robins, magpies and many other birds at different times of the year.

Another feature we enjoy is walking along the beach from Huskisson to Vincentia or on the paved walkway. Huskisson also offers a variety of restaurants, cafes and a very well known Husky Bakery. All are very popular on weekends and during the holiday season.

Laurelle3_10-1640866176715.jpeg

Christmas has been and gone now so, I wish you all a Happy New Year for 2022 and may the year be better than the last for all of us. As I say to my guests “Take Care.”

10 Replies 10
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing @Laurelle3, I really needed that nice summer weather brake right about now 🙂 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Nick I have to say thank you for alllowing me to share my Christmas at the beach from down under. Happy New Year to to you, @Quincy , @Stephanie and all the hosts that have made this December calender of events and activities, stories and tales, photos, sharing and caring for others all in the aim of promoting their Airbnb experiences and it can't be fulfilled with out them. Happy New Year in 2022 to  you all and Take Care.

Annabelle1
Level 5
QC, Philippines

Hi @Laurelle3 Beach and family over Christmas is just perfect for me.

You have nice photos as well such a lovely place to live by the beach.
I wish you a Happy and peaceful New year 2022
Cheers! 

@Annabelle1 where you live in the Phillipines also experience the warm weather too over the Christmas period but it is a bit more humid than here on the coast. Enjoy the New Year 2022 as it brings us different challenges and we all deal with them differently as was shown with your Christmas in the Phillipines. Take Care.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 

So jealous! Oh, how I long for an uncrowded sandy beach and some sunshine. It's been a long time!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Huma0 yes one could say I am lucky living by the beach. Our town has only about 500 people living here most of the time but swells to about 6,000 at this time of year. Some beachside house are being bought, pulled down and being built as apartment 3 stories high. Fortunately our town planning has made it the maximum level at this stage.

But I do like to see the photos of the winter in the northern hemisphere and know that we are world apart. Take care and enjoy the New Year 2022.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Laurelle3 

December here is summertime as well !

Thanks for sharing this lovely post full of beautiful pictures!

Happy New Year to you, husband and family !!!! 

@J-Renato0 yes living in the southern hemisphere allows us to enjoy the sun, rain and bush fires but they are not near us this year. Thank you for your words and Happy New Year to all and your family. In 2022 we turn the page and move on. Take Care 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you @Laurelle3  for sharing your beautiful setting.

Is Huskisson named after the gentleman who helped create the Taxation system in the UK back in the early 1800's?

There used to be a Huskisson Act I believe in NSW under earlier Laws.

@Huma0you may know as he was involved with Robert Peel.

Hi @Helen427 to my understanding Huskisson was named after William Huskisson who was the Secretary of the Colonies of the House of Commons of UK.

The Huskisson act of NSW or called the Jervis Bay act was a parcel of land handed over to the Australian Capital Territory of Australia as it was a land locked capital of Australia and it needed a port.