Day 30 : The New Year Resolution .....

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Day 30 : The New Year Resolution .....

48963F1A-1553-4471-9CAF-D844BFE33AE7.jpeg

Day 30: The New Year Resolution .....  It’s the penultimate day of 2018.

A New Year Resolution - is a promise that you make to yourself to start doing something good or stop doing something bad on the first day of the year.

• is it that change of life’s chapter that just makes us feel reflective and wanting to resolve personal issues?
  • is it our innate need as a human, that makes us to want to do better, to pledge to ourselves or others?

This post has made me stop and think, so here are my open pledges/commitments to myself for the twelve months ahead. Making them public makes them tangible. So fellow CC members, here we go:

🙌🏼 As “me”, I continue to fill many roles: a partner, mother, nanna, sister, work colleague, friend, neighbour, acquaintance, someone you might see as you are walking by.......... 

Or you may not see me at all - and that is also okay! I’m a traveller. I’m a host. These roles and many others have contributed to my end of year reflections. Don’t worry, I’ve got the wine already chilled for tomorrow night! 🍜🥂🍾🎈🎉

Reminder to keep working on OLD ACTIONS:

• Make new friends. Maintain old friendships.
  • Grow something “green”.  (An easy one where I live, but some quick successes are important)
  • I still need a role model: improve and be my own role model.
  • Be organised, be frail and be strong 
  • Be kind, but not a pushover.......
  • See the fun in life, when the serious won’t do....
  • Delegate and ask for help when needed..... really! 2019 is the year!

ARMOURY

• Do not allow evil or wrongful acts of others to determine my state of mind.
  • Be a warrior for all that is important in this life > whether nearby or on the other side of this global village. (Every voice and action matters!)

CHALLENGES

• Work less hours as an employee. Go home on time....
  • Get fitter and more flexible..... (nothing radical, but an investment)
  • Be more adventurous.... little steps....
  • Learn something everyday: even if it’s a new word and meaning....
  • Work harder at decluttering my life... be it physical, metaphorical or emotional. (If it blew away, would it really matter?    ... Keep what matters)
  • Breathe slower + deeper.     .... starting... now. 

FLEXIBILITY

• Work on improving my patience.       [for it makes it easier to love others, or even like them... or tolerate them. Bahahahaha.... 🤪🤪... we’ve all had that moment 🤪🤪🤪🤪] 
  • Be open to have my viewpoints challenged or changed.
  • Continue to respect others - culture, food, et all. The differences, the similarities and praise it all for existing.     [Doesn’t mean I’ll eat absolutely everything I see in some street markets, but I’ll give more things a go.... ]

WHY?

• I LIKE IT HERE.... 🌏 I like being on this earth, and being part of it’s global village. The healthier I am mentally + physically, the more I can participate in what life offers. Any day above ground is a good day!
  • Balance > me.)

This may seem a long list, but I don’t have to climb Everest to achieve them. It’s the steps in the right direction that matters....

So as 2018 sinks slowly with the final two days’ setting sun; what are your thoughts with 2019’s hopes and dreams?   

🌻

14 Replies 14
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Cathie19

Here's a couple that pop up in my beloved Papers Past website, I'm sure those of us who have come from large families and tended to make our own may get a chuckle out of this...

This from 1911..

Waikato New Year’s Resolutions: I. Resolved that this year I will use no SAUCES AND PICKLES but the BEST—namely WHITTOME, STEVENSON’S. 2. Resolved, that during 1911 all mi CORDIALS shall be WHITTOME, STEVENSON & CO’S -EXTRA HEAVY.” I can add the Water. 3. Resolved, that having proved that WHITTOME, STEVENSON’S JELLIES “stand alone,” I will buy no other brand.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAIGUS19110201.2.21.1

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Topics of The Times

by Hydra. - 1946

We are once again on the verge of another New Year’s morning when many >of us will wake to feel as if we have' swallowed a paper bag full of pigeons. In such a state, nobody can be expected to be at their best at tackling problems of any depth or subtlety whatsoever, and that is why we should sit down the evening before and give our New Year’s resolutions our all. This human frailty of leaving our resolutions, until New Year’s difficult morning is a sad mistake. Remorse runs rampant at such times, and we are liable to consign ' ourselves to all sorts of extravagant penances. There is only one worthwhile technique with New Year’s resolutions. Get in early and think it over and you will be amazed at the number of things you can comfortably resolve to forswear for the coming year—pedicures, ’cello lessons, snuff, training zebras, and piano' tuning for-example. Be sure, though, that there is no chance of developing a subsequent yen for these things. Let a man swear himself off pomegranates and then decide he wants them, and it will be an even bet that he will be a nervous wreck until he can get some. A good example of this concerns a fellow we once heard Of whom we shall call A (his name really begins with M, but we’ll call him A, to keep things, on a detached, scientific basis). He had a habit of wandering round the local zoo; a habit which, he found exceedingly diverting and harmless until one fatal day. .That was when he saw a freshly-painted sign on the lion’s cage —HANDS OFF. He forthwith resolved to carry out the request, but he began to fret until one Thursday morning, shortly before St., Crispin’s day, his frustration got the better of him and he walked right, up to the cage and grabbed the bars firmly. That very minute his frustration disappeared completely, and two seconds later so did his hands. That was the price one man paid to get rid of his frustration. If you feel that you are liable to the same thwarted complex, we would suggest 1 that you make your New Year’s resolutions fairly flexible. Resolve that, if you feel like it, you will apply the foot test to newy-laid- concrete paths. Add a rider to the effect that the same holds good for the finger test on objects marked “Wet Paint.” The signs are. usually correct, but there is no call to build up one of those •horrible frustrations just because of a rash resolution. In fact, the best advice we can think of for all of us in the matter is to make one of our New Year’s resolutions a resolution to make our New Year’s resolutions before the New Year comes.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT19461228.2.28

Ahh, but @Helen427, that “wet paint” sign will almost always win......lol.....

I’m terrified @Helen427, to know what a paper bag full of pigeons might feel like! This one only... scares the hell out of me! 3D9E8E1A-37A1-41AB-8578-3E59214A3F77.jpeg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

New Year's ResolutionsNew Year's Resolutions

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS. - 1906

~' Visitor: " What resolution are you going to make on New Years Day?"

Hostess: " Never to touch a card again !" ,

Visitor: "Oh! That's a bore. I wanted you to make a fourth at-bridge on Wednesday.

Hostess: " Can't on Wednesday. How would Thursday do?"

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19061222.2.95.24.5.1

🥳🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Cathie19

Very good and inspiring post! 🙂

I want to lose about 10 kilos.

I want to earn more money.

Certainly I will continue many things that are in progress.

I want to have good ideas and put them into practice.

I wish the people I love and I like (and that are around me) be very successful and happy. I will do my best to stimulate them to prosper and be happy.

I wish you and your family a Happy New Year! 🙂

Gosh @J-Renato0, such joyful concepts and actions for 2019!

I also need to lose 10 kilos, so maybe we can all link to join up for host weight loss motivation.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful year!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Cathie19

I wil face a fierce battle to lost my 10 kilos 🙂

The "D day" will be on the second of January.

Yes, it can be a good idea the host weight loss motivon !

PS: Visiting your beautiful listing, I like the idea of having a king bed that can be used as 2 single bed. Nice layout, when it is kingbed and when it turns into 2 single's bed.

Hi @J-Renato0.

I’d like to say 2nd January would be my starting date for diet awareness, but I would be kidding myself with my birthday not far away. I’ll start after that date..... 😀🎂🥳👍🏼

I’m glad you like the bed split ensemble. It has made a huge difference to our overall bookings. We have found couples travelling together like the two large beds, families with children (adult or young) or single adults travelling together, also like the opportunity to split. Our king split ensemble mattresses are zip joined, but some are Velcro. I think the zips are stronger. We also just cable tie the legs together as extra support, as it’s easier and quicker than the original hooks. Cut them when we split the bed. I use to have a king bed valance surround, but decided to stay with the king single valances that can stay on the beds no matter what the format. The important thing is to have enough bedding and protectors for whatever format the bed is in.

The queen bed bedroom layout, allows us to place a cot in the space if required, so we have become much more versatile and get families predominantly booking. Our perimeter fencing and general safety around the pool also lowers stress for families.

🙂

Cathie

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

Gee whiz, if you can put all that into action in 2019 I will rush to the window and start looking for that new star in the east!!!

Great post Cathie, I have been looking forward to your turn and you didn't disappoint!

My thoughts and hopes, simple really.........

If I can have a year ahead like the one just past, I will be a very happy person!

Hope the remainder of the trip has gone ok for you.

Cheers.....Rob

Being an optimist here...... so a lot of those on my list, are ongoing works in progress!

Never give up I say....EC7EA96E-0D1F-4DF1-8199-405D149E0BE8.jpeg

December is obnoxious because it is the month of good resolutions for the new year and because you have to admit that you have not kept the old ones. This is why I’ve decided that this year I will only make bad resolutions. Evil ends require evil means.

I will not turn the other cheek because I only have two of them.

I will make more mistaikes in Inglish.

I will succumb to evil lust in all its forms.

I will learn to snore.

I will press the tube of toothpaste right in the middle.

I will always be late.

I will leave the milk out.

I will storm a Walmart on Black Friday when there are a awful lot of ​​people. I will buy something I don’t need.

I will not give back what I took.

I will plan for the failure.

I do solemnly promise and declare that I will constantly stick to these ten points throughout the year 2019 in order to do the exact opposite.

Gosh @Emily352, I’m already succeeding if I go by your wonderful list! 

I could turn the other cheek sometimes, as I have a spare....

I’m sure I could snore without too much effort.. as a tired body is often a prerequisite ...

I’m always a toothpaste rebel...

Living in the tropics, milk doesn’t need much encouragement...

English speakers can still get “it” wrong, even if “it’s” belonging to someone else or its yours!

I’m already known for buying stuff I might not need.......

😉😙

I’m on a roll ..... woohoo.......

Enjoy your lustful 2019 Emily!

🙂

Cathie