Day 31 - Have you looked on the bright side recently?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 31 - Have you looked on the bright side recently?

Liv_0-1640953400237.png

Hey everyone,

I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but apparently the past two years have been kind of rough. Newspapers have been flooded with negative headlines and pessimistic predictions, leaving people’s mental health with not much of a chance. 

Amidst all of that, a few blogs and social media pages have popped up around the world with the intention of sharing only good news. I’ve been personally following a couple of them and I can safely say they have managed to put a smile on my face even on the most terrible of days.

Things have undeniably been bad, but I think the end of the year always presents a good opportunity for us to also reflect on the good things that have happened.

Looking through the camera roll on my phone, I was reminded of several lovely memories from 2021, such as visiting Portugal for the first time and starting to learn how to skateboard (before you ask, I still have a long way to go before I'm nearly as good as @Robin4 ).

Have you guys got any fond memories of the past year to share? What good things happened to you in 2021? ❤️

Happy New Year,

Liv

13 Replies 13
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Liv 

Just received my last payout for 2021 to close an awesome year hosting on Airbnb! Not nearly as many cancelations as 2020. Guest all loved it and I find it very rewarding to provide a safe place for people and even though it has challenges I enjoy the added responsibility and trust. 

It may seem counter intuitive but some of the most positive moments is after solving some issue. It almost always involves some creative way to communicate. 

Besides its just nature taking its course. 

I find that everyday I need some positivity, usually just going out side for exercise is enough, and don't really need anyone's permission to be happy and positive. I'm finding that I can't make everyone else happy and me also be happy. Life moves on, and even though the reviews are a source of frustration for many host, I find it very positive to have legitimate people actually assessing me, host, and listing, as a host. And I always try to keep improving communication as its aways changing as life moves along. 

Have a great 2022!  And keep on trying new things! I happened to see someone on a push scooter that had bicycle wheels just when you posted this and thought that was really good idea for different exercise as opposed to just riding a bike. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Like John, I had a very successful year with Airbnb. The busiest and most profitable year since starting. Also, 2021 was the greatest year for my family’s small business in over a decade. I’m super tired but thankful. AND my parents are currently on their way to Canada to check on their home (2 hours away) which they haven’t been able to get to since February 2020. Here’s to a great 2022!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Most profitable year yet for us! And I did some improvements to our cottage I've been wanting to since we bought it. 

My online business also was up 26% for the year over last. We were able to purchase a place in New Orleans just for our own use with the proceeds. Overall a pretty good financially.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

Definitely not the most profitable year for me (with Airbnb or as a self employed person), but on the bright side:

1. I had a lovely housemate for the first half of 2022 and started taking Airbnb bookings again in the latter part of the year. It's been up and down but most guests have been lovely. In general, I have found that people are kinder, more sympathetic to others (we're all in this together) and I have developed a strong bond with quite a few of the guests.

2. Despite a hiccup, I look set to keep my Superhost status.

3. I've had a lot more time to myself and am not run ragged in the way I was pre-pandemic.

4. Having not been able to see family and friends as often as pre-pandemic, everyone seems to appreciate each other and the time we spend together much more.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

OH @Liv It's been an extraordinarily quiet time here in New Zealand and I somehow became a SuperHost 2 rounds in a row!

Alas I've only had random Guests .

On a very funny and unusual note, I had a gathering of 3 hedgehogs in my garden on the 21st of the 12th 2021 - not sure how they knew what date it was but it's not everyday we have those numbers together.

To top it off, whilst out in the garden doing some leisurely activities I felt something land on my back, assuming it may be a Monarch Butterfly, as it's Summer here in New Zealand, I put my hand around and gently picked it up.

When I opened my hand I did not just see 1 butterfly, but 2 Monarch Butterflies getting rather amorous.

Never ever in all my years have I ever known, or heard of anyone having 2 frisky Monarchs making Baby Butterflies on a person's hand! 

True story and I've the video and photos one day I may share.

Have a Blessed 2022 everyone!

@Huma0 @Laura2592 @Emilia42 @John5097 @Emiel1 @Rachel177 @Mary996 @M199 @Dale711 @Lizzie @Stephanie @Quincy @Liz4022 @Clare167 @Michelle53 @Max144 @Katrina79 @Joshua-and-Gretchen0 @Miloud0 @Fred13 @Monarch1 @Monarch0 @Monarch2 @Butterfly-Creek-Inn-Tryo0 @Butterfly0 @Solveig0 @Inna22 @Anne72 @Suzanne302 @Penny400 @Lorna170 @Sarah4009 @William810 @GentleHart0 @Patricia76 @Helen350 @Silvia1838 @Aidan65 @Kath7 @Kath9 @Sandra126 @Steve-and-Debi0 @Ken-And-Desrae0 @Sharon1014 @Brenda328 @Stephanie1933 @Charlotte40 @Diana103 @Rebecca181 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Laurelle3 @Clara116 @Anne-And-Phillip0 @Till-and-Jutta0 @Gloria342 @Heather1086 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

What a delight @Helen427 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Our youngest graduated from high school and we were able to attend an inperson, outdoor graduation ceremony at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Stadium (site of the US Open Tennis).

We renovated our airbnb basement and now have and additional bedroom and bathroom/media room/storage and laundry room.

Attended three Broadway shows and visited the Hudson Valley and Martha’s Vineyard.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Liv  well, 2021 was a year of so much happening and at the same time with less physical movement for many. financially was very productive even though the cottage was blocked/closed for many months....I live in Florida and people it seems go by another idea of most everything when it comes to Florida. I'm always the person looking to spin my glass half full and reframe things to bright and beautiful.....that proved a great challenge living here in 2021.

So a fun tale I can offer.....my cottage sits down a long driveway back behind our home was my business for massage therapy over 15 yrs. and we bought the house in front because of the funky garage outback so I could convert it. That was the best decision ever and super wise..... than 15 yrs later, retirement so we (alongside a contractor) did all the work we could to make it a cool Airbnb. My sister and I put in sticky tiles on the bathroom floor but I really wanted to do a concrete stain on them but passed due to time constraints and ppl discouraging me, bad move. Well, during 2021 , we decided to organize stuff in the back yard/garden and we have two kayaks and wanted to hang them on the back of the cottage. All was great until a leak appeared in the bathroom, I was sure where it was and suddenly my husband realized he had drilled exactly through the hot water line to the sink and the bathroom floor suddenly had water pouring in when he removed the screw holding the bracket for the kayak... before we could shut it all down.....I was thrilled....that warm/hot water helped me yank up those tiles that were happy to be free and suddenly I had  my concrete floors with some of the glue still clinging and I knew that would give character to the staining I was about to undertake. I was nervous because you have caustic chemicals and must use water and wash/lots of it, while not getting it on the wood trim and walls.....so I began learning and did a master job of masking, taping and protecting the area with great care. Its a painstaking job and has to be done exactly or you have a complete mess and ruin trim/walls and more. Plus you have to protect yourself, body parts, eyes, hands and all from the acid that you sorta splash which helps etch and clean up the floor. While everyone was wearing N95 masks I was wearing a true respirator to fully protect my lungs. I was so grateful to my husband when he suddenly threw this new device into my hands and said, "you better wear this - what you are wearing will not do the job".  With the leak I immediately blocked off the calendar to avoid problems so I could take my time and get it right. Time is what it takes for the job and drying time and  for airing out with multiple fans 24/7.....it took me many days but I'm so glad I did the staining. Its not perfect but its really cool....plus, you all know how some guests are, so wet floors will be just fine by me. That big mistake of the screw going exactly thru the water line turned out to be a blessing for me. Funny how embarrassed my husband was and how I was glad I could finally try out something I'd wanted to do for almost 5 yrs. 

May 2022 be one filled with surprises that bring joy, and happy times for us all. I know many have struggled greatly and had enormous losses....be safe, be well and search for the good even when things are looking less than wonderful.

Blessings all, 

Clara

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Gorgeous story @Clara116 

Will you share the funny episode with your Guests?/?

You did a brilliant job of the floor and I quite like the colouring - what brand and colour tone is it?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

bathrm2021.jpg

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Helen427 thanks - and oh yes, I have shared with a few guests already, they cracked up of course with the honest story. 

I used a product by Valspar....had to purchase many parts, etching/acid stain, color (not 100% but pretty sure it was called Caramel or Coffee) they stopped offering this product now it seems. I had to find an interior/exterior acid/stain/sealer in a small quantity as my bathroom is 80 sq ft/ 7.4m and so I didn't need or want a huge outdoor amount. Plus, I needed etch/acid wash to first remove any debris. After which massive amounts of water to clean up but not eat up trim/etc. after the actual colored stain, and several coats/ with almost always wetting floors in between when applying any product and then drying times - finally, a sealer in a couple layers also had to be sprayed on....in a particular motion, and rate/speed. It is the most labor intensive job I've done, as room for error is so very small. And certainly a one person job in this size space.  It is by no means perfect but I tend to go for the rustic/older look and that helps, I think it gives an edge where perfect is not the goal. I wanted it a bit more rust color but the fact that sunlight and indoor light changes colors in every section depending on the time of day or night, I'm pleased. Most importantly my guests like it and have even asked about it, I want nothing hidden.....I write to my guests and tell them, what you see in the pictures is truly what you will get. Honesty is the best policy as my granddad always said.  

Would I do it again? For sure but the next time I'd be much more informed and do the job when the concrete was fresh/new (my only regret) I got pressured when we were converting the funky garage/into my therapy building to put tiles down as that's a quicker option. 

I'm pleased though and find staining real cool....I get to try out all kinds of design, colors, fix old stuff, bring in different as part of changes in the cottage and that is extra fun for me. Guess when it stops being fun I'll hang it up. Thanks for asking Helen. Cheers!  Clara

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@LivI was part of "The Great Resignation" in 2021 and I LOVE my new job. I'm working for a nonprofit that helps low-income homeowners with health, safety, and accessibility-related repairs. It really helps to put things into perspective when you are reminded every day that not everyone is as fortunate as you are.

Ginger3
Level 3
Shepherdstown, WV

2021 ended up being our favorite year of hosting! People were so ready to travel again. Most of our guests come from the DC metro area. After a year of working from home in tiny apartments, they were so happy to stretch their legs.  We had many young families. We loved seeing the littles running around and playing in the stream.  

We had to make some booking

adjustments for covid safety, but we still ended up having a pretty good year financially.

Here's to an even better 2022!

20210618_202502.jpg