Day 4 - WV Mine War

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Day 4 - WV Mine War

I love to talk! I try hard not to crowd my guests. My favorites are the guests who also like to talk.

We hosted a young man in November 2017 who was traveling West Virginia's back roads learning about the rural history, and about the early coal mining industry in the state. As with most of our guests, he dropped off his things first and hurried out to get dinner.

When he returned Wayne and I were in the living room watching the television game show "Jeopardy." The young man joined us, chiming in his thoughts on categories and questions. After the episode concluded he asked about the house.

Holstein House, the name I gave my little B&B, was built in the 1920's. I walked him through the house when he arrived. Now I was sharing the history from the comfort of my favorite chair. "Look at that door frame. The finish carpentry is just amazing. You don't see much of that craftsmanship in homes today." 

"That is not paneling, it is Masonite. The exposed wall in the dining room is the original ship-lap. That ghastly silver funnel is part of the air conditioning system. It will take us time and money to fix that. The breakfast room gets the most wonderful sunlight around 9 o'clock. Of course there was no electricity or indoor plumbing when the home was built. The kitchen and bathroom were once the back porch."

He shared with us he excitement at seeing the small communities as he traveled. "You drive these twisting roads for miles with nothing but rolling mountainside and then BAM! there is a small community."

"You said you are a student. Why on earth are you traveling the back roads and driving up the hollows?"

"One of my professors worked on the movie Matewan. I am a film student and researching the history of the coal industry."

"Have you read much about the Coal Mine War?"

"The --- war?"

That was all it took. We shared with the young man as much history as he could handle. From the debate regarding how good or evil the mining companies were perceived to Mother Jones, Baldwin-Felts, Sid Hatfield, the miner's march on Blair Mountain, and the call for federal troops. Just a few miles from my home is Paint Creek, where mine company thugs slaughtered dozens of miners, their wives and children, with machine guns.

It was nearly one o'clock in the morning when we all decided we had to end the gab-fest. Wayne and I had to be up by five and our guest was past exhausted. He borrowed a book on the subject and read another hour or so in the guest room. 

He came down for breakfast groggy, but excited to ask more questions. I happily provided what information I could. I gave him the title of some other books he may want to read. 

"What route back to Morgantown would you suggest? I don't want to take the interstate."

I grabbed a map of the state and placed it on the table. I showed him some routes that would keep him near civilization but still be a beautiful drive. He gathered his things and headed out around nine. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
14 Replies 14
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

That's what makes a great Host lucky you had a great guest that love the history, and enjoy the stay many booking for you, and Yes number one your way or the highway you know what I mean

{chuckle}

"-- I have a room to rent, and I'll feed you a little breakfast. My way or the highway." is just the signature line for the message board. I don't tell my guests that. Well, not exactly. 🙂 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Maybe he will show up with a team one day, to get a statement for a documntary n his subject !

Bed, breakfast and home work provided 😉

Interesting guests are the best. Keeps Alzheimers at bay, if they make you work, research, find proof for what you tell...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this little glimpse into your world of hosting @Robin129 🙂 It sounds like your guest had a perfect stay, but you also got a lot from it as well as the memory has stayed with you. It is always nice when you have been to visit who are really interested in knowing more about the the place and the history.

I am intrigued to know whether you heard any his reseach, do you perhaps still keep in touch with your guest at all?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

We have not, unfortunately, heard back from him. 

Yet.

🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robin129 this is a great story! Yours, Helga's, & the cartoon Lizzie posted all highlight what can be great about ABB -- when a host is gracious and a guest is receptive and they don't allow the fact that money has changed hands to make them forget that they are a GUEST! These are truly my best experiences too, when a guest is appreciative that they have been granted a small entrance into our life, and we into theirs.

I am really enjoying the experience. Most of my guests have been just wonderful. There are so many interesting stories. I am not in a tourist area. I am at a good stopover spot near a major Interstate Highway. My guests have been travelers, not sightseers, or vacationers. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw this is interesting @Robin129. Do you find that many guests are interested to hear about your local history when they stay with you (even if it is just for a night)? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Each guest has been different than the one before. Some are more interested in the small community. They ask how the railroad ended up here? How did the community grow? Some ask about the house and odd little things about it.

There is not one theme in the questions coming from the guests. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great story @Robin129!

I always find it very interesting to hear the history of places that I visit—I've heard some grim ones! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Ummm - You know, there are a few "grim" tales from this area. There was a massive flood back in the 1940's that killed several hundred people (Think bodies in trees, on creek and river banks). My father has mentioned it a time or two.

In the 1970's we had a county wide protest by parents because they felt the textbooks approved by our board of education were too sexually explicit for elementary students. It really got ugly with school busses being shot at, picket-lines, and one school was bombed. I was in 4th grade and recall not being allowed to go to school for several weeks.

I don't think there are any really awful stories in my immediate community. Not sure I want to know either. 😉 

@Robin129 By mentioning the town's dramatic history, you put 'your room' on the map. Thanks, for sharing! 

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

Sounds like he learned more from you than from any book!

Great hosting @Robin129

Well, I don't know about that. 😉 I am probably a condensed audio version.