Day 5: The Freedom to Belong Anywhere

Day 5: The Freedom to Belong Anywhere

#HostWithPride.png

Today, I want to thank Airbnb for creating a platform which fosters inclusion and respect through strong non-discrimination policies which encourage hosts to welcome all guests regardless of their race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

Without these policies, I am sure we would have seen multiple listings which would have openly called out restrictions like, "for couples only", "not suitable for LGBTQ", etc. Let's admit, we don't live in a perfect world, and there are people who dislike certain sections of people based of who they love or where they come from or how they look or which God they worship. But the strong stand that Airbnb has taken against such people makes it very easy for this brown unmarried gay Indian man to freely experience the world and feel welcomed everywhere.

Airbnb does not require me to mention my sexual orientation, race, marital status, etc. when I try to book a place and that is a huge burden taken off my chest. I have been denied accomodation by conventional hotels in India due to my sexual orientation and I have been treated disrespectfully abroad due to my nationality perhaps - such treatment not only makes you angry but also leaves you with a very negative feeling of dejection which can ruin your trip.

But never have I had such an experience with any Airbnb Host that I have lived with around the world.

India recently decriminatized homosexuality, but long before that, I had ran a poll amongst some India Airbnb Hosts (we have a Facebook group) to check if they would be comfortable hosting LGBTQ guests, and despite the social stigma that exists in India, 100% of the Airbnb Hosts had voted YES. The feeling that I have, simply by knowing that a stranger is willing to open their home to me with a smile and a warm hug depsite of having so many differences is extremely special and comforting; and it would not be a streatch to say that it restores my faith in Humanity, mutual respect and co-existance.

35026768_10209487370541345_4954032265249161216_n.jpg

Airbnb has taken up various initiatives such as #HostWithPride and #BelongAnywhere to sensatize hosts from time to time and make their stand crystal clear on non-discrimination. Their touching videos always leave me with goosebumps and a smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL2P2u45SCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmhaWVeMr0

So THANK YOU Airbnb and all fellow hosts for your acceptance, respect and for hosting me with pride so that people like me can belong anywhere, too. 

Have a great holiday season and let me know below what you are grateful for today.

Don't forget to hit the thumbs-up if you like my post 🙂

Cheers!

*Part of the Community Center's Month of Celebration

22 Replies 22
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Double thumbs-up to that @Cathie19 !

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeet0

Thank you for your lovely post. I am sure there are some hosts out there who still discriminate, but it's great to know that so many are firmly behind the non-descrimination policies. You have very eloquently explained why this is SO important.

I once had an 18-year-old girl come to stay with me for a month. It was her first time away from the US. We hit it off straight away and had lots of long chats. After a couple of days, she opened up to me and told me she was transgender. I was flattered that she felt so comfortable and at ease with me and my home to do so.

However, it did make me wonder. By not disclosing this prior to a stay (and I am not saying she should be obliged to at all - it certainly didn't bother me), was she not potentially putting herself into danger or at least a possibly uncomfortable situation? What if she had landed a less tolerant host? 

It is comforting to know that Airbnb provides some kind of safe haven for those who are discriminated against elsewhere (like the hotels you mention) and that its policies do not stand for this kind of discrimination. Had this young lady encountered a hostile host, not only would she have every right to be re-accommodated, but that host would have had to face some consequences. At least that is what I hope would happen.

Hey @Huma0, thanks for sharing your throughts. I am glad she landed at your places, moving houses due to an unwelcomming, unprofessional host can be a major pain.

From what I have read, Airbnb blocks the hosts completely if they discriminate based on sexual orientation, race, nationality, faith, marital status, etc. unless the local laws are discriminatory, in such a case, Airbnb recommends hosts to follow their country law. Like for example, I think Jordan does not allow unmarried couples to live together and Singapore criminalizes homosexuality, so in such countries, hosts are exempted from abiding my Airbnb's non-discrimination policy. 

But I am happy they have such a policy in place which allows many of us to freely travel around the world 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeet0

Thank you. Yes I was glad too. Especially as she was only 18. It's hard to deal with discrimation at any age, but especially as a teenager when you are already more sensitive and vulnerable.

I had heard that about hosting in Jordan or some other Islamic country from posts I've read on the forums, but I didn't know about Singapore.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Jeet0 Great post! Sad to say that even with the large number of friends who identify as LBGTQ, that I had no idea how hard it would be to find accomodations outside Airbnb.

I have noticed that since posting a picture of my Welcoming yard sign on my listing, that there has been a strong uptick in reservations from those who identify as LBGTQ and those visiting from foreign countries, and many have told me that the sign is what gave me an edge over other hosts in the area, because they knew they could freely be themselves in my home.  Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 3.32.18 PM.png 

Hey Rebecca,

That's a great idea. I remember seeing this earlier when you had shared it on some other post. I'll see if I get something similar on amazon, or I'll make one myself 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a wonderful post @Jeet0. As I mentioned to you, it is quite emotional reading your post here. 

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all here in the CC. 

It really is amazing reading all the wonderful topics so far, as part of our Month of Celebration. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I’m glad you liked it @Lizzie and thank you so much for this initiative. A fresh change from all the complaints.