Day 7 - An Airbnb Apron

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Day 7 - An Airbnb Apron

AIrbnb Apron - patent pendingAIrbnb Apron - patent pending

It seems an old fashioned thing to wear an apron. I remember my grandmother always wore one and it seemed to be her uniform, unless removed to show off her Sunday best dress. (I’m sure it came off when relaxed in private, but that was something I as a child, never saw.)

My memory is that when wearing her “uniform” apron, she would produce all necessary wonders from the apron pockets as needed. Almost like a magician…….

🌷              🌷

I think as hosts trying to survive emotionally and financially, we all might be wearing something similar: an “invisible, many-faceted” apron: please indulge me here. 😁

We do so to protect. We protect our overall investment, our properties, ourselves and our reputations as hosts.  This metaphorically can be in our actions and words, including the very basic, such as cleaning.

We wear our “reliable and maybe old aprons” when cleaning, polishing and scrubbing our spaces.

We may change into another “cleaner apron” as we restock, finalise beds and room preparations.….

We might then shower and wear our “best aprons” when we are meeting and greeting.

Or:

We may also have a geographical spot, like the apron for a stage, where we stand and we meet and greet guests, whilst socially distancing. Giving them our friendly check-in performance.

But hopefully, we also wear our “congeniality apron” when face to face or corresponding with guests.  But even more, I hope we don’t need to wear that  “XRay protective apron” too often, or make use of the boxing ring apron with guests who are being difficult, very challenging and just giving off negative vibes…..

We can also wear creative aprons when choosing to do just that - create. It might be worn when making jewellery, woodworking, painting (either on an easel or wall), sculpting or cooking a special dish or a barbecue.

On an AIrbnb provisions list, do you leave a “real apron” in your Airbnb space? This could be so guests don’t have to worry about their clothes as well! Maybe something to consider… that old fashioned home feeling that it can evoke…. (I even leave a unisex bib with the highchair!  😱 she nods her head) It’s also there as emotional protection, if called upon, just like grandma’s house.

As something of fashion, aprons have been around for centuries but lost favour after the early 70s and they have changed in design and fabrics over the years. They are decorative, funny, nostalgic, industrial, waterproof etc.

Yet we now see with the return to retro, some of the feel good from history, they are also coming back into fashion. So maybe “grandma’s magical apron” is what we all need to have, to add the feeling of home and nostalgia to our Airbnb spaces in these uncertain times.

I’ve decided that as a thankful host, surviving Covid19 and this topsy turvey state of ever changing requirements: rules and laws from local/state, and federal governments and also AIrbnb, that I need the protection and comfort that “the apron” gives.  But I need more than one and they all need to have big huge pocket/s at the front to help me multitask and work my personal magic.

Just like grandma did many decades ago, I need waterproof, poop proof, animal hair proof, showerproof, complaint proof, virus proof, spill proof, insult proof and reflective.

It would also need to have impregnated in to the weave of the fabric: kindness, patience, empathy, good communication, an eye for detail, and more helping hands (more deep pockets).

Then without a doubt, interwoven and coloured with flexibility, agility, creativeness, problem solving and the ability to relax and of course a large splash of sense of humour. Once we have these factored in, maybe Airbnb might come up with a few designs and colours to match our needs and moods! But all must have those useful grandma pockets! Remember pockets hide the magic ……

What do you think @Catherine-Powell and @Airbnb?  lol……

Disclaimer: No hosts or guests were harmed whilst making this apron thread. For safety, it requires a no nonsense neck tie and stitched waist ties.  After all, with all these superpowers, we don’t want cumbersome; for we are all efficient adults in this STR and LTR partnership. What do you say?  Has my thinking made you want to cut your apron ties with me? I hope not….I want you to be proud wearers of your invisible aprons.

I put forward our new age Airbnb hosting PPE: The magical apron, patent pending……

Hoping Hanukkah has been joyous and that others enjoy Kwanzaa and feel love and kindness across the Christmas season
🎄and peace to all. 🕊

======.                          ========== 🌷==========.                       ======

For those wanting further information:

APRON - Definitions:

A protective garment worn over the front of one's clothes for many actions, domestic and commercial.

or

It can be part of official dress, as by a bishop or Freemason.

or

It can be sheet of lead worn to shield the body during an X-ray examination.

or

It can also be a small area adjacent to another larger area or structure."a tiny apron of garden"

or
or a hard-surfaced area on an airfield used for manoeuvring or parking aircraft “on the apron”

or

a projecting strip of stage for playing scenes in front of the curtain.

or

an area of asphalt where the driveway of a house meets the road.

or

the narrow strip of a boxing ring lying outside the ropes.

or

an extensive outspread deposit of sediment, typically at the foot of a glacier or mountain.
Last but not least, it can be an endless conveyor made of overlapping plates."apron feeders bring coarse ore to a grinding mill"
             =======                          ==========        
🌷        ==========.                       =======

29 Replies 29
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Ha!  @John5097 , I NEVER KNEW there was such an apron in existence.  Well done you and @Angela1056. I do like it and I like the pockets……. 

I want one! 😭😭…..

In the meantime, have a great Christmas season for you and yours! 🎄

@Cathie19 Oh right, @Angela1056 has one also! So early I didn't notice the logo! It was a really thoughtful touch, and nice when someone thinks of you. 

Have a great Christmas as well!  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Cathie19 You are just brilliant dearest! Your idea is terrific and for those offering a kitchen with cooking an apron is a super idea - could be a cool product for Airbnb to produce also.

I too love my aprons.....and I have a few..... A special apron from 2019 Airbnb event (it was gifted me)  in Shanghai, and a muslin light weight Airbnb apron and I wear both a lot...but one I will dye as you have inspired me to act. Also I have a garden apron from Africa and also African cooking apron. 

I always love your post and get inspired and motivated, thanks Cathie!

Merry Christmas to you and your precious family.

big hugs and love, Clara

Gosh @Clara116, thank you for the confidence boost, but you’re pretty inspirational, don’t forget. 🥰 But I would like to see the before and after colouring of the apron! Sometimes we just need that extra bit of rainbow to get us through our day…..

So my friend, here’s wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas. 🎄🎄🎄As the clock is about to strike midnight, I’ll “talk soon”, for some sleep is much needed.  I bet you have some yummy preserved vegetables in your kitchen’s glass  jars.     X X 🌻💛

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The only apron I have in living memory (this is a very old 19year old Steph, picture!) Yes, I did make that hat and yes, it is appalling. @Cathie19 

1936440_151963350109_453899_n.jpeg

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie , I LOVE IT! 😍😘

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cathie19  I absolutely love it when  you take us on a journey plotted by your fertile imagination.  This magical trip was no exception.  I wear aprons, as my grandmother did.  The one I wear at home in New York was given me by my late best friend, a magical cabaret singer.  She had a family-and-home-loving side that her glamorous image hid well.  In Maine I have aprons for children that I found at a local church fair, sewn and embroidered by one of the ladies of the parish.  Now that you've got me thinking about aprons, they have so much more meaning and emotional value than I ever imagined!

Oh @Ann72, thank you for the kind words and compliment. Coming from you, that’s high praise. 💐 I bet your work apron is so full of magic and pretty exhausted at this time of year.……. 💛 I’ve got kids aprons here, for my own grandies if cooking or doing some other craft or art. 

Since I started  pastelling this year,  I pulled out a fairly aged apron that was given to me for Xmas, probably thirty years ago. It’s been used whenever I needed one. You see I get messy fingers and tend to want to wipe them off, and the paper towel isn’t as satisfying. 😁 

At the time, I had AIrbnb guests in and got caught running back and forth with them. Phone etc in the pocket, till it started to tear. Oh no! 😱 So I embroidered on the pocket edge, but that only lasted, till the next large tear began. 😱😭 So I looked at “old faithful” and said thank you. Then I took my hands and ripped the fabric into two pieces. It deserved peace…. A sad day…… lol…..

So  then with a new focus, I began looking on eBay and found a lady in Sydney, in the heart of the Covid19 outbreak and lockdown, and thought she might need some extra business! She had a variety of cottage florals, retro prints and bold stripes. I was looking for “ less dirt” showing for the pastel fingers. So I bought a couple. In fact, I bought one for each of my daughters and a new one for me for Xmas. Two for pastelling: one on, whilst one in the wash……

My middle sister saw the retro one whilst we were video chatting one day and she loved it. I knew she was not an online shopper, so bought her one and had it shipped to Queensland. She sent a photo of herself wearing it - so excited. I put mine on and sent a photo back. “Twins” she cried out in her message! Yes indeed… though not biologically. (Though I had been an identical twin, but that’s another story)

I then got thinking about my eldest, much older sister who lives alone and was in lockdown. So I contacted the eBay seller and bought a third apron of the same fabric, having it shipped to her. I got a selfie photo arrive, with her proudly wearing it. Proud she was also able to take a selfie! 🥰

I told her that we now all had the same apron, so we could think of one another when we put it on.  I then sent her the other two photos of her sisters wearing it proudly! I then sent her aproned  photo to my middle sister.        Now we are triplets!           …….
 ………                 Those apron ties, those invisible sibling ties. 

So yes my friend, aprons are so much more than a yard/metre of fabric. 💛

The ties that bind @Cathie19 🥰🥰🥰

Now @Ann72, there’s a title for a book of short stories/poems about people’s reminiscent ties to aprons! We collectively hold the title!  X

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is hands-down one of the best topics on the CC EVER! LOVE IT @Cathie19 ! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

Why thank you sir @Nick! Lol…. 😚 It took a few days to think what on earth to use as a theme to make the topic……. But when it got to Sunday 5th, I thought I better do my homework…….  X

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Cathie19 

Great article, with words and visual illustration. I love the metaphor involving the apron!

I have one of the Airbnb aprons. Good point - I might sew pockets into it to make it more useful.

Loved your post @Cathie19 - I could almost hear your voice as I was reading it. 

While I am usually not the one working in the kitchen at home, the handful of times I am doing something in the kitchen (like when making toast or heating up frozen pizza) I always like to wear an apron to get in character 😋 Mine was a housewarming gift from my best friend, and since it doesn't get worn much it's still almost brand new~ 😆