Day 8: Wonderful Bird Descending. by Ann & Vassilis.

Day 8: Wonderful Bird Descending. by Ann & Vassilis.

img001.jpg

Wonderful Bird Descending by me.

We received a phone call from Mykonos Airport about 4p.m. to say that a group of travellers had just taken off from there in a helicopter en route to our island and our holiday villa. We knew that their flight from London had been delayed about 3 hours as the guests had already informed us that morning, so they had missed their ferry connection to our island, Syros.

Syros has a small airport for local flights, but not privately hired helicopters, it seemed. We found this out when we arrived at the airport, someone indicated that 'helicopters land somewhere over there' by waving his arm towards the nearby coastline.

So, Keystone Cops style, we shot backwards & forwards trying to find out exactly where the 'helipad' was, Vassilis driving, me on the phone to the customs police/ port police/ travel offices/ friends/ anyone... including a man & his dog walking by. All answers were vague.

It turned out to be a tiny cliff edge next to an extremely stinky sewage plant, surrounded on all sides by electric cables. Oh, and I forgot to mention, in a Force 9 Gale. Eeeek!

As the helicopter appeared & hovered shakily over the cliff, we glimpsed 4 deathly pale faces peering nervously out at said cables, the pilot as cool as a cucumber as he expertly guided his mighty swaying bird in to land, over a wild tempestuous sea.

" Welcome!"

"Welcome to Syros!"

we chirruped as they staggered towards us after opening the helicopter door & after being smacked in the face by wind & the not so welcoming aroma.

Back at the villa, after a much needed sit down & a drink, they all saw the funny side to this surreal adventure & went on to have a wonderful 2 week vacation.  What a relief for all involved!

Seasonal Greetings & Kronia Polla to everyone from us in Syros!

Ann & Vassilis.

21 Replies 21

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0

I had this idea that in Greece you don't actually start paying property rates until the dwelling is complete, so nobody actually ever finishes their house. Was that true, and if it was, is it still so?

In 2011 we did a six week tour which took in (amongst many other places around the Mediterranean) Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Volos, Santorini! We were even lucky enough to visit Tunis just after the 'Revolution of the Flowers' when they kicked out their dictator Ben Ali and briefly open their doors and their hearts to the west.

Although having made over a dozen trips to the other side of the world that trip was one of the best I have done and there will always be a special place inside me for Greece!

Some of the interesting snippets of information I learned....

Every man on Corfu is called 'Spiros' .....

IMAG0165 b.jpg

The harbour of Santorini is so deep cruise ships cannot anchor and need to be held in postion for possibly days by their propulsion system.

IMAG0267 b.jpg

This was just some random woman, but I thought it was worth a photo! I bet these guards at the end of their day just want to kick someone or something!

IMAG0355 b.jpg

And every souvenir shop will tell you they have the best 'genuine fake watches'!

I had to buy myself a genuine fake 'Longines'!

IMAG0293 b.jpg

Thank you so much Vassilis & Ann for bringing these lovely memories back to me.

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4 !

Love the pics & glad you've got great memories of Greece.

Well, things have changed drastically probably, since your visit.

Now, we're all paying through the nose for those cheeky slipshod ways although not everyone would agree with that analysis. This year,alone, we've paid out shedloads of tax  ( x7) ( even for our artisan well! ) & dear old Airbnb allows us to keep paying said taxes & a wee bit left over to feed,neuter etc,, all our rescue animals.

No complaints from us...  I would like to believe that the god of animal heaven is watching over us!

Cheers, Rob,

Vassilis & Ann.

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

What a fantastic story. 

I like the KeyStone Cop reference and can picture you both looking for this vague Helliport!

Hi @Joanne-Flynn0!

Thanks for your post ,Joanne. We were just so glad things turned out well in the end. I think you could call that serendipity - one of my favourite words.

Love moments like that, and I seem to attract them. Not complaining !

Best,

Vassilis & Ann.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Βασίλης-and-Ann0

Great story! The guests in question that arrived by helicopter must be VIP guest, aren't they? 🙂

I have never been to the Islands in the Aegean Sea. Everybody say it is a paradise!

I and my wife were in Athens in 2015! We love Geece, the food, the peoople, everthing.

Except for Athens, we were in Piraeus and from there we took a ferry to Aegina Island, very close to Athens. We also love that beautiful island.

Hi @J-Renato0 !

Thanks for your message, the guests came for a celebration/reunion so the 'copter was dear ( about 300 euro, we found out later ) but they blew the cost & just wanted to be at the villa toute suite, they told us. Think they'll remember that holiday, eh?

Aegina, the island you went to, is gorgeous & a great place for a quick retreat from Athens/Pireaus but not quite as special as the Cyclades, well, we would say that ,wouldn't we?   ;o)

Syros, our island, benefits from being historic as well as a working island not touristy at all. It even has an Opera House which in July hosts an international festival, cartoon festival, rock, classical guitar & jazz, too! 

Hermoupolis, the main town, happens to be a neo-classical gem for lovers of romantic architecture. Take a look...

I know it's far from Brazil....but, why not come & see us sometime?

Best wishes,

Vassilis & Ann.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 What an exciting story! Thanks for sharing.  

I love your bird painting, especially the puffin. Hope that you will post more pictures of the endangered birds.