Day in the life of a host: Huma

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day in the life of a host: Huma

Please note this is a general Airbnb image, not Huma :)Please note this is a general Airbnb image, not Huma 🙂

Hello everyone,

After hearing the lovely feedback around how much you enjoy the Community Spotlights, I thought it also might be nice to look at having another community topic here in the CC (don't worry the Community Spotlight will still continue and the next will be later this month).

Here in the Community Center, many of you spend a lot of time speaking with each other, sharing your experiences as hosts and regularly give great tips and support to others. In reality though, each of your lives as a host are slightly different, with you own routines and so the thought behind this series is to take a bit more of a sneak peak into the lives of hosts here in the CC and learn more about what a typical day looks like for different hosts. Perhaps yours is similar? 🙂

A day in the life of – 

Huma.png  

Huma

London, United Kingdom

Community Center Profile

How does you day usually start? (ie. what time do you usually wake up...)

I’ve always been a bit of a night owl, so I don’t get up very early unless I really must. The first thing I do is feed the cats whilst making coffee and checking both my work emails and Airbnb messages. Multi-tasking is key!

Can you give us a brief overview of what your day looks like?

My job as a magazine editor is so varied. On any given day I could be working on a photo shoot, interviewing a celebrity, attending a fashion show or film screening or even travelling to international events. That all sounds very glamorous, but a lot of my time is spent in front of the laptop responding to emails, editing and proof reading and organising other people. Luckily, I can do most of this from home, so I can juggle it with hosting, otherwise I don’t think I would be able to manage. As I have three very popular Airbnb rooms in my house, I have guests checking in and out several days a week. Ideally, I like to say goodbye to them if I can. Once they’ve checked out, I’ll get cracking with cleaning and preparing for the next guest. I don’t have a written pre-check-in list. I’ve done it so many times now, I just go on auto-pilot.

Preparing and cleaning your listing. Where do you start and what key areas do you focus on?

I have a big house and can’t clean it top to bottom every day, so it’s important to prioritise. As the bedroom absolutely MUST be ready on time, that’s where I start, followed by the bathrooms and the kitchen. These must be sparkling, and I’m obsessed with streak free shower screens. I have a cleaner come once a week to do the communal areas, but I always do the guest bedrooms myself as I want them ‘just so’. The bed is the most important feature in the room, so I try to make it look as inviting as possible with nice (ironed) linens, throws and cushions. Every surface will get dusted/polished and the floors vacuumed and mopped, including under the bed and any other furniture. When I have a bit of extra time, I’ll add in jobs like cleaning the windows, skirting or insides of cupboards. The finishing touches are important like customising the ‘welcome’ chalkboard with the guest’s name, updating the magazines and tourist leaflets and leaving a carafe of fresh water with some glasses.

Do you have a top cleaning/hosting tip?

Always clean under the bed (and other furniture) every time, otherwise you don’t know what you might miss. One used ear bud or pair of dirty knickers is enough to make a very bad impression!

When do you have lunch? What's on the menu? 🙂

I’m afraid I often skip lunch, but if I have time, I’ll have something quick and nutritious, like avocado toast. I like Nigella Lawson’s ‘recipe’ where you mash up the avocado with chilli, ginger, lime juice, seasoning and fresh dill.

What time do your guests usually check-in? How do you welcome your guests and make them feel at home?

My check in time is between 3 and 9pm, but the most popular time is between 3 and 4pm. I get guests to set down their bags and start with the kitchen/diner so that I can offer them a drink. They often meet at least one of my three cats at this point, which is always an ice breaker as my kitties are very guest friendly. I try to give guests a detailed tour, so they know where to find everything they need. It’s important to play it by ear though. Some guests are in a rush and others will arrive exhausted and jet-lagged, so then I’ll do a quicker version.

What is the favourite and hardest part of your day?

Knowing the new arrival is really delighted is always a high but, just finishing the guest room is also very satisfying. I love it when I look around, know everything looks perfect, and can close the door until the guest arrives. The hard part is when guests go AWOL, not showing up at the agreed time and not answering messages. It happens more often than it should. I’m a busy person, so waiting around for someone for hours is painful. I feel my life ebbing away!

How do you relax at the end of a busy day?

My cats are called Pinot, Grigio and Merlot, so that might give you an idea of how much I like a glass of wine! I often pour one to mark the end of the working day. If I can do this catching up with some friends, even better. I’m always working on my house and making improvements and the evenings are often the only time I can fit this in. Although it doesn’t sound that relaxing, painting furniture or pottering around the garden can be very therapeutic. I could never spend my whole evening in front of the television.

A huge thank you to Huma, for being the first person to be part of a Day in the life. It is wonderful to hear about all the different things you have to juggle with being a host and your day job – I don't know how you fit everything in. 

I'm sure Huma would be love to hear your comments and questions, so please do share you thoughts below. Plus, if you are keen on having more Day in the life of host topics, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

42 Replies 42
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Nice to read ! And yes, allways  clean under the bed, that's the place items can be found as mentioned (and more...)

@Lizzie  Really nice post and enjoyable read Huma! thanks, Luv your cats's names Pino, Grigio & Merlot.

What a gorgeous picture Lizzie posted as well, really beautiful....... gals that are annoyed about profile pictures of flowers or furry babes...... Emiel and I do not have our profile picture.....so what....we complimented nicely. LOL never judge a book by its cover

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What a fun thread indeed, just discovered it.  It is so interesting to compare one's impression of a host on this forum with their true reality. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Very nice, @Huma! I love avocado toast, too. Totally willing to give up housing for it. 😉

"Day in the life" is another fun series, @Lizzie!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0

A friend recently told me that someone had attempted to mug him, actually threatening him with a drill. This happened in a very trendy part of London (thankfully nowhere near me). Guess what the mugger was demanding? A wallet, a phone? No. He wanted my friend's avocado toast. My friend refused and the disgruntled mugger and his drill trundled away. Just goes to show how in demand avocado toast is!

Now that IS trendy, @Huma0. Diamond drill bit, I hope.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, what a story @Huma0! I think I need to get more avocados in the house, just in case! Or is that remove the avocados...hmmm

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzieavocadoes are apparently an endangered species. That and chickpeas, because it seems we eat too much houmous. Stock up now!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh Huma and Lizzie and others that love your avocados come to stay at my place and you will usually be supplied with them over this time of year.

They are currently 4 for $3.99 at the local Green Grocer and I was very fortunate one of my recent guests has access to a tree full of them and gave me some.

A dear elderly friend who lived in Opotiki, Whakatane region, NZ, used to bring me supermarket bags full when he was alive, bless the dear gentleman.

Those who are visiting New Zealand are welcome to bring some to share if they can source them on their travels!

Ditto Licorice/liquorice

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lizzie for inviting me to take part in this new topic and thanks to everyone for the nice comments!

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Very descriptive @Huma0 I could just imagine myself there in the kitchen and greeting the cats 🙂 

I do the same. I have a huge space to clean, sometimes within 4 hours of the next guest checking in. We work hard to get things scrubbed between guests. I've learned we can't please everyone but for the most part I've enjoyed our guests and they've enjoyed our home. Interesting to hear how other guests manage their spaces!

Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

I am curious about ironing sheets. Do you actually iron them yourself on an ironing board or send them out to be ironed. I can not imagine do this myself. Do people really care if their sheets are ironed?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Candee0, there are many, many conversations on the forum about this. I iron. Many hosts do not and can't see the point. My sheets are heavy cotton and look dreadful otherwise, and what better feelling than to sleep in ironed sheets! If you ask this question, maybe you have never experienced it. But different hosts have different standards, pricing and quality of sheets. Also different amount of time dedicated to their accommodation. I do get sick of all the cleaning and washing and ironing and then I just get on with it again. It is a job and like many jobs, has aspects you get tired of from time to time. You do build up great efficiency over time.