Dear AirBnB, Please help us hosts treat staff with dignity - block check-in/check-out on holidays

Dale622
Level 2
St. George, UT

Dear AirBnB, Please help us hosts treat staff with dignity - block check-in/check-out on holidays

Dear AirBnB,

I always try to treat my staff with kindness and dignity. It would be great if you would give us a blocked check-in / check-out dates tool to help us do so.

I'm totally fine with having guests in my home on Christmas and Thanksgiving. But I would be incredibly insensitive to expect my housekeeper, property manager, hot tub cleaner, etc. to handle check-ins or check-outs on these holidays. My housekeeper is a hard-working Mom who I pay $30+ per hour. I always want to treat her with dignity. I want to be able to ensure she won't be asked to work on holidays so she can be with family without me having to lose out on bookings and income. And if she ever needed a planned sick day for a medical procedure, I would use the same feature to accommodate her. 

AirBnB does not currently provide the tools needed to treat my staff with kindness on holidays. 

SUGGESTION

Please add a tool for "BLOCK CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT ON SPECIFIC DATE".

To be clear, I don't want to block BOOKINGS. I only want to block check-in / check-out. 

Such a feature might look like this:

BLOCK CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT DATES

January 1

July 4

November 26

December 25

It would be particularly helpful if there was a repeat option to mark certain blocked check-in / check-out dates ANNUALLY

BLOCK CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT DATES

January 1                  repeat annually

July 4                         repeat annually

November 26

December 25        repeat annually

Again, I'm not trying to block guests on these dates. I simply want to prevent any stay from STARTING on a blocked date or ENDING on a blocked date. 

It would be great if the feature was implemented immediately so that it would be available for the 2020 holiday season.

Thank you.

12 Replies 12
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

So what is the problem? In "availability settings" you can set any rule for each specific day. 

Dale622
Level 2
St. George, UT

The problem which was described in great detail is this:

Hosts can block dates. 

Hosts cannot block check-Ins and check-outs on dates. 

That is the problem.

If you still don’t understand the problem, please reread my original message. I put quite a lot of effort into making it as clear and detailed as possible.

thank you

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dale622 You can do this. It will look like this on the calendar:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.40.55 PM.png

You have to create a ruleset. If you don't have access to rule sets now, turn on Airbnb's professional hosting tools.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2499/how-can-i-use-professional-hosting-tools

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dale622 there is no need to be rude. @Anna9170 actually tried to help but for some reason you just want to be rude.

Not sure why I am helping you but here goes:

Add a rule set for the week that encompasses the days you don't want check in/out on a particular day then set that day of the week to not allow check in or check out.

Its may not be simple but its doable.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Dale622 this is not airbnb, this is a community of hosts trying to help you out of good will. Not that the tone would be acceptable if you were talking to paid customer service either.

Dale622
Level 2
St. George, UT

@Mike-And-Jane0 I get frustrated when I put significant effort into clearly documenting a problem and the response makes it seem as though my message has not been read. "What's the problem?" seems dismissive and unhelpful.

"What's the problem?" ... Um, what? ... I just explained the problem.

Nonetheless, I apologize if my response seemed rude. @Emilia42 @Anna9170 

Thank you for your assistance.

I have pro tools turned on. I am able to create a "NO CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT" on thursdays rule and the apply it to the week of Thanksgiving. But it doesn't appear as the "host unavailable" as shown on your screenshot, @Emilia42 . How do you do that?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Go to your multi-calendar. Create a custom ruleset that restricts guests from check-in and out on Thursday. Label it so you can easily identify it (ie. Thanksgiving.) Selected the Thanksgiving date and apply the ruleset. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 4.36.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-01 at 4.36.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 4.25.45 PM.png

You may also want to create another ruleset on Tuesday and/or Wednesday that requires at least a 3-night minimum to give your housekeeper a longer holiday break 😀

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dale622 I just looked at your listing. You did it.

Now you can set up the same thing for Christmas and New Years since they fall on the same day. You can set the Thanksgiving rule set year after year (since Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday) but Xmas, New Years, and July 4th will need to be updated every year depending on the day of the week. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 4.47.20 PM.png

Dale622
Level 2
St. George, UT

Oh, the "Host Unavailable" is on the guest's booking calendar, not my host calendar? @Emilia42 

@Dale622 

I can see "Host Unavailable" when I click onto nov 26.

@Emilia42 

Very interesting, thank You.  I didn't know all that.

@Dale622 Correct, the guest cannot select the date unless their reservation encompasses that date.

I strongly recommend that when any host tweaks their calendar(with rule sets or updating availability, etc) that they go to their listing page and view how it looks to guests. That way you will know if it was done correctly and hopefully won't get any surprises. 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Dale622   
I understand that my answer may have sounded disrespectful because of the specificity of the printed text and the fact that English is not my native language, so once again I will say that there was no disrespect.🙂 You are a superhost and it was obvious to me that all the tools to set up an ad are understandable to you. For example, I don't use the "professional" version of Airbnb, the usual version is more convenient for me, but it is done there as well. Calendar - availability settings - choose specific dates.  For example, choose November 12-13, 2020 and set "arrival only on Thursday" (if your staff can't work on Friday 13))). 😎

@Mike-And-Jane0  @Inna22  thank you so much!)  @Emilia42  special big review for the education.