[Debate] Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Debate] Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?

Curtains.jpeg

Hello everyone,

We all have our preferences for decorations, furnishings and appliances at home; carpet or floorboards? Wallpaper or paint? Gas stove or electric hob? The list is endless...we all have our reasons for our choice, whether practical or decorative, and I thought it might be interesting to exchange our opinions in the form of a debate! 🙂

We recently discussed whether to carpet or not to carpet and I think at the moment, not to carpet is definitely the winner...you never know though, there maybe some carpet fans out there, take a look here.

The theme for this debate is windows and what we use to cover them: “Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?”

It would be great to hear your preference below and why, feel free to share photos as examples too!

I’m looking forward to seeing which one will be the most popular!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

18 Replies 18
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Lizzie, great topic!

Your photo is absolutely yummy!  CURTAINS!!!

No.  For me, they're like snow:  they belong on a postcard; not on my driveway or hanging on my windows.

Impossible to clean--like, worse than carpet because you can't really vacuum or even dust them!  And they are a haven for little creatures like spiders.  (I would LOVE a canopy bed, but for the spider-factor?  No way).

I know, it's like destroying a fairytail fantasy, but you can't possibly clean them unless you pull them off and drag the things to the dry-cleaners. This is just an aweful mess.

My shutters are lovely.  Honestly, love the shutters.  No romance-factor, but very elegant. 

Nice try!  (Can't wait to see other responses!)

Best,

Kim
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie I disagree with the use of the word clinical. I think that blinds (depending on style) can made a room look cleaner and more modern, but I wouldn't say clinical. It does depend on the blinds, though, just as it depends on the curtain style. I think wooden blinds could be cosy, while a small metal horizontal blind wouldn't be. I think that it depends on the style of blinds or curtains.

I like wooden blinds or shutters, personally.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Blinds I don't much like; they can look clinical and a bit cheap.

Plantation shutters are my default.

Not inexpensive, but stylish (IMO), insulating, easier to keep clean than curtains (they get cleaned once a year at most, right?) and keep the room dark when it needs to be. 

IMG_4953.JPGfullsizeoutput_3ae2.jpegfullsizeoutput_3ae6.jpeg

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Curtains. I have even been asked by my potential (then) guests about the density of my curtains. And in old buildings like mine they do make a room look much cozier.

A drawback - my place is 3.4m high (the ceiling), so the curtains are some 2.4m long. Just imagine ironing them...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Terminology: Curtains are usually not much longer than the window frame itself. Drapes are long heavy things that reach to or almost to the floor that can't really be just thrown in the washing machine.

Drapes and curtains help to muffle sound and keep a chilly room warmer. Curtains can be easily taken down and thrown in the washing machine if you use those metal clip rings. I wash the curtains from my guest bedroom about 4 times a year. In between washings , I'll often unclip them and shake them out well.

Drapes and curtains, as well as throw pillows, upholstered furniture, in other words, any soft furnishings, counteract the "echo" effect of hard surfaces.

Curtains and drapes can also be a design feature where you can play with patterns, colors, etc. 

As you can tell, I'm a curtain-type. But I can certainly understand why some folks prefer blinds.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I'm a shades and drapes girl myself... I like options.  My bamboo shades are beautiful and allow filtered light whilst maintaining privacy.  The drapes add a layer of softness, light blocking, and warmth.  I'm really not a fan of blinds, however.  Plantation shutters in the right space, can work.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Bedroom 1.jpgShutters all the way, not a curtain in sight! But I do have a canopy... These shutters are bifold, recycled tin.

I quite like blinds.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Sandra126, I remember when you first shared this here in the CC and believe you had just finished the renovation work on this room. Your shutters and sash windows look wonderful. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sandra126 - What beautiful windows you have.  

Tom-and-Lois0
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

I love the curtains ..IMHO blinds are cold ..I love the warn cozy feel that curtains give ..

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie It depends on what type of curtains and blinds you are talking about.Different products with different price tag in different environment makes it very complicated to say which option is the better one.What is good for me may not be good for you.That's just a human perception on material things.

I think both collect a lot of dust lol but curtains are easier to clean just wash them in the machine. Blinds are a pain in the ass to operate are easier to break and bend although they are nice for some window where vertical lighting is preferred. 

Blinds are a big PITA .. Dust collectors and hard to clean..throw the curtains in the washer 

Amber129
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Curtains for a more homey, cosy, feel and shades for a modern, cooler, feel. Everyone has a different taste. I find shutters more old school and definitely more time consuming to clean. I have both roller shades and curtains in my modern contemporary home!

To each there own,