Debating cancelling Airbnb Hosting

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Debating cancelling Airbnb Hosting

Getting answers to host has become nearly impossible from the City of Los Angeles. I was told the permit would renew on Feb 5, 2021 and I could only apply one month before. This means I would not be able to rent for the 35 days and have not been able to rent for the last 7 weeks of 2020. I have lost a lot of money from due to the City of Los Angeles and Airbnb's agreement for short-term hosting. In order to be able to rent for 84 days, I was required to get an extended permit for the cost of $850 from the City of Los Angeles. I asked if the City was providing a variance "due to Covid rules" and was told they were not. Here is the message from the City of Los Angeles Short Term Hosting: 

Good Morning:

We do not offer an option to extend the regular registration outside of the extended home-sharing permit.  Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you

Home-Sharing Unit

Due to this and the permit not being available for me to host till Feb 5, 2021. I am strongly considering cancelling Airbnb Hosting. I built this unit as a separate portion on the property as a way to help others to get a place to stay on the property and make a small amount of income monthly while also supporting others who work to maintain the property by paying them their asked price and fair wage.

It's frustrating not being able to get help from Airbnb while they "celebrate" their new IPO and how wonderful they are as a company. 

NOTE: I have been with them 2008-09 since they began through at least three properties 
4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

This sounds like it’s not just going to affect your ability to host using Airbnb, but your ability to rent your property out short-term at all. I know that Airbnb is in constant battle with cities and states, fighting to be able to do business there.  So, for once, I don’t think Airbnb’s is at fault. This has to be fought out with the local and regional governments.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rajan2 Chicago is also heaving regulated and highly bureaucratic. Is there a local facebook group where other share how they deal with this or you can post your question? I had to hire an attorney at least three times to deal with several permit related issues. Depending how much money you make, that might be a route you want to explore. I have also made a physician trip to the City Hall more than once when I could not get anywhere by email or phone (this might be hard now as they are probably closed to public). I have actually broke down crying once on the voice mail of the person in charge of this with the city and I promise you, I am not a crier whatsoever, at all. I was just so frustrated, it was some sort of physical reaction I had in the moment. Airbnb was never any help, even during the time when they made a mistake registering me.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Rajan2 , All Airbnb can do is try to make deals with municipalities and governments, they can't force gov agencies to get it right.  I think your issue is with the city of LA not Airbnb, good luck trying to  get them to  serve the needs of the citizen/ taxpayer.   

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Appreciate all the responses. I would agree the issue is with the City of LA. However, I do not have the resources or time to fight with the City of LA. I would have been in a better position had I received some support from Airbnb. It is a no-win situation for me. I do feel disenchanted with Airbnb's response to this. I hope there is some action taken by them to continue to fix this. Also, the city just added a per day tax that is new for 2021. We are currently paying a permit for the use of short term rentals with total day limit and the guest also pays tax to the city. Now they are charging an additional fee to the hosts for the guests stay. Lots of interest in our income but zero interest in us as hosts.