Decline of AirBnB host support

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Decline of AirBnB host support

Hello everyone,

This is my first contribution, but unfortunately, my introductory message isn't exactly illuminating.

We recently had our villa well and truly trashed by an Airbnb guest, as the evidence we provided in our claim clearly shows. The guest flagrantly broke house rules and caused verifiable damage, costing us hundreds.

He even admitted it in his rebuttal, though unsurprisingly, doesn't agree with the cost of damages, but he admitted the violations and the mess they left.

We contacted Airbnb support literally on the same day of this guest's checkout, and were promptly given advice on how to proceed. We even asked about any time limits. 60 days is what we were told.

We had no security deposit. It is not security deposit related. According to Airbnb's own claim policy, which the support bot keeps repeating to us, the technicality used to justify declining our reimbursement request (we failed to file the claim before the next guest arrived) doesn't even apply in this case, as it is not a claim against a security deposit.

Nobody in Airbnb's support department has ever indicated there was any such limitation. 60 days is what they told us. We finalized the claim in 4 days. We filed the claim as soon as we had the final bill, as instructed by Airbnb support. We did exactly as we were told.

But Airbnb host guarantee dept closed the claim, with the justification that it was not filed before the next guest arrived. Despite that being contrary to the directives given by Airbnb support, and contrary to Airbnb's published policy.

Airbnb are always encouraging hosts such as us to be better at what they do. As a superhost and ambassador, with a highly desirable offerings, well booked year-round, with consistent 5* ratings for nearly a decade, I believe we have been exemplary in that regard.

Would Airbnb have us leave the house filthy, smelling like a night club for the next guest? In fact, had the next guest's booking been only one day later, it would have not only been equally impossible to file the claim beforehand, but we would certainly have had to cancel the next guest's booking. Surely Airbnb must understand the implications to our business, and ostensibly, Airbnb's as well? We spent 3 full days cleaning up this mess, and it was a major rush-rush, to avoid subjecting the next guest to it. And we spent far more than what we asked in compensation.

Now, as a result of Airbnb's inexplicable refusal to pursue this well evidenced claim at all, we're stuck with all of the consequences and costs, while the offending guest gets away with impunity, on a nonapplicable technicality.

Now, we are being completely ignored by both the host guarantee department, and every support request is closed without any reply.

As a long time Airbnb host (amongst the first in Mallorca), and a long time superhost with year round bookings, consistent 5* ratings, and niw being elevated to "ambassador"  we had become one of Airbnb's most dedicated evangelists in Mallorca. Long ago, we dropped all other booking platforms, and have been listed solely on Airbnb, and for years, and it's all been very successful for both of us. We are perhaps the very icon of the character of host which Airbnb has always encouraged and promoted.

However, this is no longer the Airbnb that we started with, and as much as it pains us, we feel compelled to begin migrating away from it. I have to suspect this change may be related to the recent IPO, as the character of the company becomes more and more enslaved to the needs of the shareholders rather than hosts and guests.

I'm under no illusions that I can expect any better treatment from any other platform, but it's really a shame to see Airbnb begin a descent into mediocrity. It was such a great company and we were really proud to be part of it.

Anyway, I felt compelled to write this. Sorry that it had to be my first contribution.

Saludos - stay safe. Watch your back.

Elaine Harrington
Proprietor
Villa Son Gat Mallorca

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you not have CCTV at your remote property to endure only those who have booked are using it @Elaine701 

I can only imagine you don't or you would have noticed the party guests arriving and gone and shut it down and evicted. The guests. 

I am sorry for your experience. I agree on vetting guests. I vet every guest on booking. 

i can't agree that the process for claiming under the guarantee is confusing . It clearly says as I advised earlier that you have to initiate the claim before the next guest checks in. 

388E4988-346B-4BC2-84AF-2C05B051A7CB.png

@Elaine701   In your description of the incident, you stated:

We contacted Airbnb support literally on the same day of this guest's checkout, and were promptly given advice on how to proceed. We even asked about any time limits. 60 days is what we were told.

If you contacted AirBnb on the same day as the guest checkout, and three days before your next guest was to check in, it would seem to me that you had communicated with and put Air on notice about damages.   Did anyone at Air CS  on that first day of contact tell you to enter text information in the resolution center and to submit an amount relevant to the claim before the next guest check in?  From what you wrote, and what others have posted in this forum, CS reps DO NOT make the steps to take clear to the complaining hosts.  It is very ambiguous, leading me to believe that Air is NOT interested in making hosts whole or charging guests for damages. 

I wish you luck with receiving compensation through your personal insurance.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Lorna170 

Thanks, Lorna. Yes, that is correct. We contacted CS and the guest immediately and followed all guidance by CS. In the entire dialogue, nobody ever mentioned anything about filing the claim before next guest arrives. The only time this was ever presented was the BOT offering the policy statement I presented earlier, which days that claims on security deposits must be made within 14 days or before next guest arrives, whichever is earlier.  We had no security deposit, unfortunately. 

I was previously accused in this thread, if failing to interpret the term "security deposit" as "any damage claim". That may clear be to some, but it certainly isn't clear to me. And never, at any time, did any CS indicate that any claim had to be made before next guest arrives. We were told 60 days. Period. How long do we have? 60 days. 

@Helen3 

Thank you for the republishing of terms. That is precisely the procedure we followed. Thank you for confirming that. 

One of the attractive aspects of our villa is that it is private. There aren't 20000 other people around you. Guests can be naked, or well, whatever... 

Therefore, we don't surveil our guests. No webcams, no CCTV.. I have to say, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable if I knew the host was watching me all the time, and apparently, it's illegal to do that in Spain anyway.

Having said that, we do have video communications at the gate. And we have logs of gate openings, and by what method; keypad code, keyring remote, etc. 

We also have power logs. We can see power consumption at any time, any date in the past. 

We know the gate opened a lot, and we can see that substantial amounts of power were being consumed all night long, tapering off at 6:00-7:00am. 

We can see that all beds were used. It appears the couches may have been slept on. 

But all of this is circumstantial. None if this proves how many people stayed in the house, or even how many are there at any moment. I can reasonably conclude there was some type of 3 day party. The vast array of beer and liquor bottles scattered about further attests to that theory. But it doesn't prove it. 

So, although I'm 99% sure they had a party, breaking both that house rule, and also the law, I can't prove it. 

But here's the thing. 

This guest broke house rules and caused damage. It's not in dispute. He admits it. The evidence of damage is irrefutable. That's not in dispute. 

What's in dispute is that I filed the claim as instructed, but unfortunately several hours after my next guest arrived. An unacceptable technicality. 

I have a technicality of my own; that policy you posted above? It says Airbnb and the guest must be contacted before the next guedt arrives. It states that the resolution center is the preferred way, but doesn't say it's required.

**bleep** technicalities, huh? 

This is airbnb giving one of its better and most dedicated hosts the finger and telling us to go **** ourselves. And thats why I'm furious.