Declined reservation = lousy search rank

Ryan63
Level 9
Packwood, WA

Declined reservation = lousy search rank

I had a guest request a reservation for a night that he didn't actually want. Instead, he wanted a night that was already blocked on my calendar, and hoped that I might be able to free that up for him. I couldn't, so I declined his reservation request.

Even if the night were open, he had zero reviews and only an email verification. That's too flimsy for me.

After getting a "keep your calendar up to date" message, I was concerned that my rank in search results might suffer. Sure enough, I went from the top search result to somewhere in the twenties.

This seems unfair. My calendar was in fact up to date. I shouldn't be penalized for declining a guest who tries to work around Airbnb's booking system, who I can't ultimately accommodate.

12 Replies 12
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ryan63

Ryan did you grant the guest a pre-approval for the night he 'did not want' or did you simply decline on the basis of his question?

It is unfornunate when this happens and it really needs to be explained to guests by Airbnb that if they simply want to talk to a host then they should click the 'contact host' tab and ask a question to gain a pre-approval. This way a host and a prospective guest can chat as much as they like and 24 hours later if no booking takes place the enquiry drops off the system and does not penalise the host. You can take other bookings for the time the pre-approval is in place or you can withdraw a pre-approval and there will be no penalty to you.

Ryan I feel sorry for you here, you were in all probability doing the right thing within the limitations of the way this person came to you and now you are being penalised in search results.

I suggest that you refresh your listing by adding a photo, or changing a house rule, or even get a friend to contact you via 'Contact Host' and ask some sort of question about your listing that will require you to grant a pre-approval, and these things will raise your ranking. Granting a pre-approval does not commit either you or the guest to anything! It just says that as of that moment your listing is available.

It maybe worthwhile if you take this further Ryan and contact ABB and explain what has happened if only to make sure this is on record so it does not influence your future reservation decisions. ABB can at their discretion remove a listing altogether if they feel a host is declining too often, so every decline is important. As far as this instance is concerned I doubt staff have the capacity to over-ride the program, and I feel all these events are tied up with the program itself and it is probable that the only way you will get your listing up again is 'activity'....that is what the algorithm responds to where rankings are concerned! So the more activity there is on your listing, the higher you will show in search results.

Bad luck Ryan....I hope this can help you a bit.

Cheers.....Rob

Susan79
Level 2
Holwell, United Kingdom

I agree that we are unfairly penalised for declining reservation requests.  I have had one recently asking to bring two more people than the maximum I accept, and but made his request for the correct number of people giving the impression that I was declining for no reason.  I have consistently good reviews, but have noticed enquiries falling.  How should we contact Airbnb in these circumstances?  Is there an email address for these sort grievances?  I had another guest who could not drive, and even though I quite clearly state in the description that our village has no pub or shop and is not accessible by public transport,  she put in the booking request, asking  me at the same time about local facilities.  For her sake, I felt obliged to decline. So I am being penalised because she cannot be bothered to read  the full description of my property.

Susan, Oxfordshire 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Play these guests at their own game; accept their decoy reservations. I've done it on a few occasions and remain unscathed. 

Susan79
Level 2
Holwell, United Kingdom

This isn't always possible, for instance if the booking is made for six people (the maximum the property can take) but comes with a message from the guest asking if you would be prepared to 'make an exception' and allow two extra people.

In such a case you use the send a special offer button and adjust your price. You can put the price high enough that you will either be happy with the request or that the guests will not book because it's too expensive. Either way it saves you from declining the request and will be better for your ranking.

Imogen11
Level 4
Netherlands

I'm having a similar problem. 

Instant Book is switched on and I'm fine with it. The problem is that guests who don't fit the Instant Book criteria can still submit a Reservation Request. 

It's my family's home, I'm uncomfortable with guests who have no reviews or thin profiles.

But I can see that declining these reservations has killed my listing in the search results. 

Are we basically being asked to accept every booking or drop off the face of the Airbnb map? It feels counter to the spirit of the platform (which I have loved & used for years)

Am I just being paranoid?

I don't think instant reservation is a good thing. We have to discuss before finalizing the reservation.

No your not!! I host in my home also. I have put a lot of money into this venture. I also feel in need to keep myself safe. My home is my safe place and if i have any doubt i will decline

Guilherme25
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Are you guys really seeing a drop in the search ranking after declining reservation requests? Note that I'm not talking about cancellations of already booked reservations.

On their help page they only mention cancellation as a factor that can hurt your search rank.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/what-factors-determine-how-my-listing-appears-in-search-resul...

Carol364
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

As a new host, within the last hour, I have had to decline two inquiries because the guests did not read my listing which states that this property is not suitable to children.  I feel bad declining them; but also hope my listing is not being penalized for the guests not completely understanding my listing.  In reading the previous posts I am hoping that since these were just inquiries that my listing search results will not suffer.  The property is just starting to get bookings and I now have 2 very positive reviews.  I don't want to be paranoid...just want to be informed and hope that Airbnb is listening to our concerns.

When I receive a reservation inquiry that does not fit the right dates or qualifications, I send a message back to the person but I don't push either the Pre-Approve or Decline button. I just send a message.

I asked an AirBnB person if that fulfilled my obligation to respond, and they said "yes"

My response rate is still 100%.

So no reservation gets made, no decline happens, and there is no effect on the ranking of your listing.

This has been working for me so far...

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Matthew285 that's the difference between a reservation request and an enquiry.