Declining guest with service dog claim

Brian658
Level 2
Pāhoa, HI

Declining guest with service dog claim

I had a request from a guest with no profile picture and no recommendations. She asked if I would allow her 7lb Yorkie service dog. Luckily, she cancelled before I responded. I would have liked to decline based on no picture and no recommendations, but then wouldn't I get accused of discrimination since we are supposed to accept all guests with service dogs with or without certification?

This seems like a sneaky way around booking without any recommendations - claim you have a service dog.

5 Replies 5
Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Never heard of a Yorkie service Dog, she was pulling your chain for sure. I cant allow dogs and won’t 

Have you ever turned away guests with a service or assistance dog? I'm wondering if Airbnb actually enforces that no discrimination policy?

Elizabeth2327
Level 1
West Lafayette, IN

I also recieved a request for a guest claiming to have a service dog.  My listing states no pets.  The guest also has no picture and very limited information on their AirBnB profile. Can I decline or is there a penalty for that?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Elizabeth2327  and @Andreas-and-Anna0  this may help:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/assistance-animals

This is the only thing that ABB will accept to deny assistance animals, so if it applies to you please be sure to update your listing.

Health or safety concerns

If your listing includes a shared space and an assistance animal would create a health or safety hazard to you or others (EX: allergies or potential issues with other animals), you don’t have to host the guests with the assistance animal. Please share this information on your listing to avoid any potential disappointment and be clear and polite when communicating with guests about this.

I just got an additional request to share my phone number.  I think this is a scam or something.  I reported the profile.  Does that block them from booking?