Declining guests

Albert1844
Level 2
Redlands, CA

Declining guests

I approved guests without reviews because looks like a new account and they trashed the place and linens. 
min afraid to leave a bad review due the retaliation will secure me not making it to superhost in January. 
How do you handle this situations?

Now I cannot set a filter to avoid people without reviews, if I decline them, I get declining gauge to go down, but I really don’t want people in my house that will not check out at checkout time. The cleaner had to wait until they check out 2 hours late. 
Is there a database of bad guests I can lookup? Otherwise, I’m thinking in creating one 🙂

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You leaving a review has nothing to do with the guest retaliating. Reviews are blind- the guest can't see your review of them until they either leave a review themselves or if only one party leaves a review, it will be published 14 days after check-out. You failing to leave a review doesn't prevent the guest from leaving a review.

The way you warn other hosts of bad guests is to leave an honest review, not start a data base of bad guests.

@Albert1844

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry you have had problem guests. @Albert1844 

Just set instant book so only those with previous reviews can instant book. Others will need to send you a request.

Airbnb Help is a good website for basics around managing your listing. Do have a look on there about how the review system works.

When guests book you can ask them vetting  questions to make sure they are a good fit.

You should remind your guest of check out arrangements the day before and confirm that prompt check out time is particularly important to allow for Covid cleaning so your cleaners will be arriving at 15 minutes past their check out time.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Albert1844 

As Sarah says the guest cannot see your review before they write one. Write something without emotion like "More cleaning over the allotted cleaning fee was required. Guest checked out 2 hours late."

If you have instant book enabled, you can set a requirement to filter out those without reviews. The key is to vet your guests before they arrive/you accept them. "Hello guest, please confirm to acknowledge you are aware of the 11 am check out time. Have you read the house rules?"