Deducting Rent on Taxes

Deducting Rent on Taxes

Hi,

I currently rent an apartment in Anaheim, CA that I use solely to host Airbnb guest (I do not own the apartment). As far as deducting rent goes, am I able to deduct rent as a business expense?

If so, would the deduction be for 100% of rent or a prorated percentage based on the days the apartment was reserved by guests?

Some additional info to help understand my scenario:
- Apartment was listed for the entire 2016 calendar year
- Apartment was had 25 reservations for a total of 152 nights

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Brian

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hey @Brian212, there is a great article in the Help Center developed by the accounting firm of Ernst and Young that answers all your questions.  Look it up.  I think it will help.  Hopefully your lease agreement allows for short term rental.

too lazy to add a link?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow how incredibly rude @Matt711 We are hosts and guests who help each other for free. We don’t always have all the information at our finger tips. 

Are you too lazy to visit Airbnb Help and use the search function ? 

I did add a link to the article.  Not sure why it was deleted by the system since it is a link to the Help Center, not the Community Center, article.  In spite of your rudeness, which might just be frustration, here is how you can access the Help Center yourself.

Go to Help on you listing profile, select go to Help Center, enter taxes as search, and you should see an option for an article about deductions.

In the future, please do not insult those hosts who are only trying to help.

Linda

Trying again to add the link.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/182/what-expenses-are-deductible-from-my-airbnb-income

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

I did use it with the limited information that you provided and a huge list of postings showed up and who knows where in them the answer lies? You may as well put in "Look it up" as your answer.