Delisting and Divorce

Richard2176
Level 1
United Arab Emirates

Delisting and Divorce

My wife and I are approaching the end of a very bitter divorce. The court has specified that the former marital home is to be sold right away. We are joint owners of our home, which I moved out of three years ago. My wife has moved out of the home,  and has it listed on Airbnb as available for the next 12 months. I have not consented to this, as I want it sold, per the Court Order. The wife keeps all the Airbnb income, and it's a lot of positive cashflow for her.

I want the house de-listed but Airbnb seem reluctant to act.

Any advice?

7 Replies 7

@Richard2176  Having an active Airbnb listing with open calendar dates shouldn't do anything to prevent the house from being sold. When the house is transferred to its eventual buyer, your wife would be obliged to cancel all the outstanding bookings anyway.

If your wife is violating the terms of the court order, that's a matter you'd have to deal with through the legal system rather than through Airbnb. Airbnb is just one of many platforms a person could use to extract income from the property, so de-listing here wouldn't accomplish anything other than to make it a little less convenient for your wife to earn the income that you resent.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Richard2176  Homeowners have had long term lease tenants who they found out weren't actually living there, but had it listed on Airbnb in contravention of the "no-subletting" clause, and Airbnb has refused to remove the listing, even when the owner submits his title papers and the lease which is being violated. So you aren't going to have luck getting  Airbnb's cooperation.

It's a legal matter between you and your wife.

Where is the home?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Richard2176   This is a matter for you to contact your lawyer about and have a cease and desist order applied by the court and served on your ex-wife.  AirBnB will not do anything about the active listing.

Lonna2
Level 2
Montclair, NJ

HELP PLEASE !!

My husband and I are divorcing.  I've solely run an Airbnb since 2014 in the marital home.  Since he filed paperwork asking for a divorce, he quit his job to live off me and the Airbnb run in the home.  A tricky move since I need to pay bills to keep the house and a running business.

He now wants 1/2 the equity in the house with no debts- saying my Airbnb paid the bills and he shouldn't be responsible therefore for his share of debt.

I need advice on Airbnb's in marital homes and the impact of divorce.

All help welcome, I need to get rid of this freeloader and not let him walk away with my Airbnb earnings .

@Lonna2  The terms of your divorce are a legal matter- Airbnb has nothing to do with your personal circumstances. It's just a listing service, they aren't concerned with who owns the property.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lonna2 

The terms of the property settlement should be spelled out in the court order.

Generally there will be an equal division of assets and debt accumulated during the marriage.

Unless otherwise ordered, income earned during the separation period by either party is to be reported and divided equally.

You should consult with your attorney regarding this matter.

(I am NOT licensed to practice law in New Jersey. I am merely expressing my opinion, not offering legal advice.)