Demanding guests for 1 night

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Demanding guests for 1 night

Red Flags, instant book for 1 night ...

"We are both vegan, and my husband is also gluten free, and I have a lactose intolerance, Please ensure our dietry needs are met.

As we are on a bike ride, I just want to make sure there is a space for our bikes as well.

Generally hotels and airbnbs let us take our bikes with us in the room, as we don't carry locks.

Would you have a safe space where they could be stored for the night?"

Thank goodness I have a Lidle at the bottom of the road, so I can get all supplies. BUT it would have been so much easier if they requested with politness.

Who the heck allows bikes up 2 flights of stairs to their bedroom, with light coloured carpets !!!!!!!!!

Yes there are is a safe place to store bikes (but do I really want to tell you ?) Do I supply locks and then forget the combination?

OK this one is going to be a challenge and I am trying to suppress my wicked sense of humour  👺 to accommodate their needs whilst educating them  to be polite caring guests.    😈

Any bets on how this will turn out ?

18 Replies 18

@Chris232   I noticed that your very nice-looking listing says about breakfast: "if you have any special requirements...we are happy to oblige."  The guest sounds like a pretty rude and entitled person to say "please ensure our needs are met," but I guess they can get a pass on that since the listing invited them to make such requests.

The bike thing is just crazy. I've never had anyone ask to bring bikes indoors, and I wouldn't want to give the slightest suggestion of entertaining it. I would take the same approach to storing bikes that I take to smoking:  strictly forbid it inside, but give precise directions to the nearest place guests can do it. In this case, I'd recommend the nearest shop where guests can buy their own locks and kick that ball back into their court.

I strongly doubt that any efforts to "educate" these guests will be well-received, but fortunately you only have them for one night. So hold firm on the bike issue when they arrive, and let an impressive breakfast be their final impression at checkout. Hopefully they'll recognize your efforts in their review, but even if they don't - your averages are so high that they can't make an impact there.

@Chris232 @Anonymous who goes on a bike trip without carrying locks? That’s nuts.

Chris232
Level 10

@Lisa723 

That's exactly what I thought.

Thought about giving them a combination lock and then forgetting the combination ..... I really should not have such thoughts

Chris232
Level 10

Hi @Anonymous 

Your thinking is the same as mine .... its only 1 night ... so no problem.

A smile,  a warm welcome,  quick chat,   to the room, recommendations of where to eat, ... see you in the morning .... Job done.

In this game we meet all sorts, good or bad , its an experience and just love to welcome new guests.

Oh my .... I really missed having guests here during Lock down. So am so happy to see fresh faces.

Oh, a tip for all hosts ... newbies and experienced.

When they leave always mention that there is a pot of tea/Coffee here and welcomed to drop in if they are ever in the area.

Guaranteed to put a smile on their faces and makes them feel welcomed if they should return.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Chris232  If someone ever said 'please ensure our needs are met' I might break my wrist in my haste to hit the decline button.  

I am wondering if these are the cheapest bikes in the world, because why else would  you travel without locks?  Or, this is a lie, and they have locks but just prefer to store the bikes inside....

So, that's two strikes, super entitled and probably telling a fib, no need for a third strike, they're out.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris232 with IB you get 3 cancellations penalty free per year. I would definitely use one here!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris232 And another thing. The guest cannot have a lactose intolerance and be vegan unless they became vegan recently. Or put another way the lactose intolerance is irrelevant if you are a vegan.

This booking is like being offered drugs - JUST SAY NO.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Drugs are expensive. If someone is generous enough to offer them to you, it's polite to say "no thank you."

Or, if you prefer, "yes please" - the morning after might be rough, but much more fun than cleaning tire marks off your carpet.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I'm not surprised the husband is gluten free.  Isn't all meat?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I wouldn't be surprised if they will demand extra blankets , early or late check in/out as well. And in return give you 4* rating. Make sure you provide some rugs to prevent wiping their bikes with your bath towel

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I love how "entitled guests" produce snarky hosts.  We might feel entitled as Air BNB hosts to have that snarky attitude, but I am pretty sure hotels deal with this entitlement ALL DAY LONG.  I find it fun to channel my snarky reaction into the world's most passive agressive seemingly accommodating host with a response like, "Oh my goodness, how difficult it must be for you to find your very important and necessary requirements.  You deserve to have the best fitting accommodation.  I am so very sorry I cannot be the host for you." Decline!

@Linda108  heh you are good 🙂 unfortunately, this is an instant booking

@Linda108 Many days I find myself wishing I was a southern gal, and not from small town Alberta, as I would love to channel my best @Kelly149  and pull off a good 'ol  "Well, bless your heart...". Not happening, unfortunately. But I can daydream about doing it.

@Colleen253  Sometimes just thinking it helps