Demanding guests

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

Demanding guests

Have any of you noticed that the guests that are demanding and begin with requests even months before their arrival are ussualy the ones that leave bad reviews in the end even though you try and fulfill their every request?

30 Replies 30
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ana1136  Absolutely they want to check in early, check out late, want some thing you do not have listed made available for them, want you to accomadate more people than your home can, call or message constantly over nothing, etc. ALL red flags and guests to avoid. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Letti0 I get more and more of that kind of guests. But they only start making the demands after the reservation is complete so canceling doese't seem like an option for me and all I can do is try to accomodate them and hope for no review at best, I wouldn't even hope for a good one.

@Ana1136  The same here they book then they start the "requests". Oh I need to.... Oh I have to... Oh I want... I looked where is the... Why can't I...  I call them the "I people" Everything is about them lol...

You're absolutely right!! How could you avoid these guests?...

Sophia67
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Oh yes. My only 2 star review ever came from the most demanding guest Id ever had, who I bent over backwards for. Her reasons for the low review were that my bathroom mirror wasn't over the sink and I had a private notice on one of the cupboards. I screen for finicky reviews now. There's an app for chrome where you can read them. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sophia67 If I read her review as a guest trying to book your place I would know that the problem is her. And I think many of the travelers would also, but the number of those who only see the number of stars is bigger and that is the problem. I even reconsider somethimes which is more worht - to cancel and pay the fee or put up with them just to get a bad review.

Sigh - I once got a complaint from a guest that I needed to provide boxes of tissues. So I promptly sent her a photo of every bedroom and the boxes of tissues next to each bed (including the one she slept in.  She said "oh!"

Sigh.

She also noted there were extra boxes on top of the refrigerator but didn't bother to take one of them.

Sigh.

Hosting. No one would believe these stories if we wrote them in a book.

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

and are usually the cheap skates with zero budget, always asking for a discount as well.

Whenever a person asks for a discount upfront, I decline immediately even if they agree to pay full price.

It’s a 100% chance that they are going to demand everything from you because and in turn leave you a false and bad review regardless.

They feel that because they are now giving you a few bucks (which to them is a lot, when its not really, as they usally book in down time seasons), they are now entitled to enslave you in their endless requests and if you don’t meet them they will abuse their self appointed "power".

They are usually not the smartest ones either. Generally the ones as Kristine says can’t even see a box of tissues when its right in front of them.

I had one compain that the ENTIRE CITY was cold, when she came to stay in WINTER.....

Yes cities generally are cold in winter. That is literally the definition of winter.

This was apparently my fault though....

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ryan66 I just had a guest complain that we didn't clean her room and toilet EVERY DAY. I mean, if you want that there are a lot of hotels in my area and you can pay hotel prices and have your room cleaned every day. We do clean and change bedsheets and towels for longer stays but for a 4 day stay in just isnt worth to change bedsheets and clean every day. And to be honest I might have done it if she asked but they dont say a ord during their stay but suddenly have a lot to say when leaving a review. Thats really upsets me especcialy since the first thing I let them know is that I am always available for anything.

If someone wanted their room cleaned every day, and towels and sheets changed every day, I would politely tell them that airbnb is probably not the right choice for them, and they should feel free to cancel and book a hotel.  We change out towels and sheets for people who stay more than a week, but that's it.  

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

We also change bedsheets every week and towels every 4 days. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I rather have them give me warning via demands than none at all.  I have had a few (3) and used every trick in the book to have them cancel, and they did, and we remained the best of 'friends'.

Hi @Fred13 ,

Yes, it is the "art" of getting  someone to not book after reading my message instead of declining on my end. There certainly are ways to persuade people not to book.

@Ute42 and @Fred13  I use my rental agreement and the fact we are on property to get unwanted guests to cancel. It almost always work lol...