Denied Claims

Natalia974
Level 2
New York, NY

Denied Claims

Hi everyone, I just had a really negative experience with Airbnb and I’m wondering if anyone has had similar or can tell me where I went wrong. I had a guest lock themselves out of my house at 2am. She ended up breaking an antique wooden door, to regain entry. I found out the morning she checked out and I had someone checking in that afternoon. During the 3 hour cleaning window I got photos. I started looking for someone who was available to do the work. We coordinated our schedules, I could only have him come on a day when someone was checking out/in. He came days later. And then told me he would be back to sand and paint. Once again, we figured out when he had an availability on a day when I could get him in. And it was a week later. Later that day, once I knew the cost of the work (including materials) I submitted a claim. The renter refused to pay, which I knew would be the case. But didn’t deny that she damaged the door. So I asked Airbnb to pay it. They denied it based on the fact that I didn’t submit the claim BEFORE the next renter checked in. Given that someone checked in 3 hours after her, that would be an impossibility. I don’t think I had even found anyone yet, to do the work, I was waiting for calls back. I appreciate that they have created this rule to protect the renters. To make it clear who in fact was responsible. But A. I had no knowledge of this rule and B. It puts us in a position where we have zero time, and it would appear gives them an out. Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

30 Replies 30
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Tigran8 

It sounds like you haven't familiarised yourself with how the Airbnb guarantee works

Have a read through the information they provide for hosts on  how to submit a claim 

1.  familiarise yourself with how the host guarantee works https://www.airbnb.co.uk/d/guarantee

2.submit claim and initial evidence to Airbnb as specified in the terms for their guarantee 

3. Submit further evidence and costs 

obviously make sure you have your omen STR insurance to cover the many areas Airbnb doesn't cover under its guarantee