Different rating system

Kristin132
Level 2
Lafayette, IN

Different rating system

I was just frustrated to find out that a guest can give you 5 star rating in all categories and still give you a 2 star star rating overall. That two star rating goes on the review no matter what. I just talked to Airbnb about this. How is that fair? Hosts have to rate guest on categories and that determines their rating. I get great reviews and 5 stars in every category maybe save one. It makes it very hard to keep up super host status, which is important in my limited market. Why can't we give guests an overall rating independent of how many stars we give them?

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It's not fair, @Kristin132, guests do not know much about how the rating system works, Airbnb doesn't care much about enlightening them, and this issue has been discussed here in the forum by hosts numerous times. Still, not that much has changed. The only change in the last half of the year was introducing ratings for guests - after some heated debates here.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4 @Kristin132 .... and that guests have to to tell a reason why they gave 4* or lower.

I agree with you Kristin 100%

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kristin132@Marzena4@Branka-and-Silvia0  I don't think it is a good system either 😞 I had a guest literally just randomly choosing stars (she told me she wasn't paying ANY attention where she clicked) and my only saving grace was that she left an amazing review.

Now I send out a message explanining that anything less than 5 star means they had problems so most of them are more careful. Not everyone, I still get 4 star ratings with very very good reveiws which is irritating. I honestly wish someone would have a solution for this.

I also don't think giving words like "great" for a 4 star is helpful. The guests would NEVER think that rating a stay "great" is a bad thing 😞

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Yes, @Kristin132 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Monika64, the systems of ratings for hosts and guests are not consistent with each other. So how can guests realise what's going on?

Personally, I'm pretty much fed up with the system of rating and reviews, and, which didn't use to be like that for me, am avoiding writing reviews nowadays. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4 to be honest I am also fed up with the system of rating and reviews . Complains and low rating doesn't stimulate me to be better and more generous , just the opposite.

Count me in also in your camp about being a bit turned off about the whole review and star system. The whole system sometimes comes across too 'high school', like those 'Likes' on social media. Perhaps....

#1 - simple Up/Down Thumb will do for guests and hosts

#2 - short 50-word limit will suffice for either guests and hosts

#3 - a combination of #1 & #2: short opinion and (up or down) thumb

#4 - a 0-100 system (dump the Superhost program)

#5 - ?

@Kristin132 why in the world would the guest give you 5-stars in everything but 2-stars overall?

Is there an interesting story attached to this?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

And yes, you can rate them independent of the stars you give them. It’s the thumbs up/thumbs down. Rating system definitely isn’t perfect. There are certain ways to get a review removed or hidden. Not easy though. Often one bad review reflects more on the reviewer than the reviewed.