Direct Messaging on the Community Center: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Direct Messaging on the Community Center: A Community Help Guide

It looks like the Community Center has finally launched the feature of being able to Direct Message other hosts.  Here is another Community Help Guide.  Please be mindful and respectful when sending Direct Messages.  Also, ensure you follow the Community Center Guidelines.  

I have searched the settings but have not seen any area where you can turn Direct Messaging "on" or "off".

Step 1: Find the person you would like to send a direct message to and click on their profile image.  Select "Send Message"

DM1.png

Step 2: Type your subject and message in the appropriate sectionsand click "Send".

DM2.png

Your message will then be sent to the person you selected.

DM3.png

The person you send the message to will receive an email that looks like the image below.  You can then reply to the message in your email.  The other great thing is that the person who DM's you does not get your email address and you do not get theirs.  It creates a unique email address for you (see red box in image below).

DM4.png

Here is the message that Clare received from me:

dm.jpg

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

16 Replies 16
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Another excellent post by Educator Dave!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Excellent guide! Thanks a lot for taking the time to compile this.

I've just included a link to it too, from the announcement post here. 🙂

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

Thanks @Marjo0!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Is this active everywhere or is it being rolled out piecemeal. I'm not able to do it (Texas, US). If I hover the pointer above the person, it shows their name after a brief lull. Nothing more. And clicking the pic also does nothing.

Hi @Dede0,

It appears that I am able to send a message to you by clicking on your profile image within the CC and then selecting "Send Message".  I am sending one to you now.  Let me know if you get it.

Dave

David

Yes, I got it. As it turns out the new capability (to send DMs here) is yet another thing for which AirBnB's "Google Chrome is preferred" is spot on. I was using Safari, where it doesn't work. When I switched to Chrome, it works.

Okay, tiume to break my Safari habit...

Can you send me a test message when you're able? Thanks.

Sandra924
Level 3
Maryland, United States

I am having the same issue, @Dede0.

Linda106
Level 2
Newbury, VT

This message may be a duplicate, but the page stalled and then came back blank and I don't see the post - so sorry if I'm repeating the message.

I want to message my area hosts but how do you find them in the Creative Community. I've tried doing searches but I can't even get my town to come up in a search. I have local event information to share and it's my understanding that I cannot send a message using the other message window on the main ABnB page. 

How do I find hosts in my small, local area so I can send a message? 

Thanks for your help,

Linda

Sandra924
Level 3
Maryland, United States

Hi, @Linda106. Try joining a home sharing club, even if it's just the closest metropolitan area to you or to the state you domicile in. You can find and view all available clubs by hovering over "Discuss" in the top right and then clicking "Home Sharing Clubs" -- or you can submit your own for approval to start it up for your area.

Faith13
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

It would be really great if there was a function to delete old messages rather than only being able to archive.

Is this going to happen AirBnb? 🙂

Thank you!

Melina54
Level 2
Moschato, Greece

Hello, I have trouble with direct messaging. The button does no appear next to "view airbnb profile" 

Melina54
Level 2
Moschato, Greece

Please anyone who know what I have to do please answer!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melina54,

Maybe option is turned off in the community profile settings of the community member.

It's also not available on your profile.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile