Dirty houseguests driving me potty!

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Dirty houseguests driving me potty!

Hi all.... so I have found myself in a situation that after all of my guests I have not yet come across; dirty, messy house guests. I take immense pride in my home and keep it spotless even when I do not have guests in. I have these guests in for a week, and am already getting sick and tired of the mess less than halfway through their stay. 

Thus far today, on my break from my actual job, I have hoovered enough crumbs off the kitchen floor and sides to rebuild a loaf of bread, cleaned the toothpaste spat all over the sink and mirror and cleared  shards of broken glass (?) off of the rug in their room. I have never, ever encountered this before! It is an older man and his very young son but honestly I cannot work out which one is making the mess. I left the house to work with some of my patients for approximately four hours and left the place gleaming, and have come home to find mess everywhere I look. The other day there was a squashed tomato on my kitchen floor, and some odd sticky pink mess on the work surface that I cannot seem to get off no matter what I put on it. The bath mats are constantly left skew wiff - I go in, and put them back the way they are meant to be and literally moments later they have been slid all over the bathroom floor again. I feel like someone is messing with me. 

They are not otherwise unpleasant - a little demanding with certain things (constant messages asking where they can buy things such as sugar free juice or gluten free bread - but asking repeatedly when I don't respond. In a city such as London, and particularly the area I live in, these things are not at all hard to ind just by taking a stroll down the high street) 

I have printed house rules in their room that do say 'the cleaning fee is for cleaning at the end of your stay - please keep the house clean and tidy during your stay and respect it as you would your home' - I wonder if it might be worth bringing it up to them, or just grin and bear it and be glad they are leaving on Saturday.... another four nights/ days of cleaning up behind people. I don't know if I can cope . . . ! 

2 Replies 2
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ben253 telling someone to "keep like you would at home" is NOT a good instruction.

What you mean to say (it sounds like) is: wipe up counters, wash dishes used, vacuum/sweep any crumbs/spill... leave no messes, keep food contained to the kitchen, keep your personal items tidy in your room, etc

Probably you need to just grit your teeth until they leave, then review them as less than clean and then firm up your rules

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Pay them to leave. 

4 days can be a lifetime if you all are that imcompatible.