Disappearing Listing Booking and enquiries disappearing

Sleep-Sweets0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Disappearing Listing Booking and enquiries disappearing

Hi Everyone!

I noticed a week ago that I wasn't getting ANY bookings or inquiries.  I spoke to AirBnB Support today and they indicated there is a system problem that is affecting the ability of guests to make reservations & transact payments? 

Is anyone else having this problem?

16 Replies 16
Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

airbnb and many other major companies had been hacked today. Maybe that has something to do with all the crazy quirks people have been experiencing.

http://pitchfork.com/news/69188-twitter-reddit-spotify-soundcloud-netflix-attacked-by-massive-hack/

thanx @Ephraim0, you're really on the ball, much appreciated. In another post of yours, I tried to click on your link to the law Cuomo just signed. I was on the Airbnb app = no can do. will try again via the web site now, just so you know in case you get no responses... Every day, there is a new Airbnb glitch, I must say I am gettig tired of the magnitude ( ineptitude..) of it all....

I know I've been experiencing them also. I do not think it's a coincidence that Our President has declared a cyber war on Moscow "for interfering in american elections" (clinton- wikileaks) and today we are suffering the ramifications of that declaration.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/10/17/obama-administration-prepares-cyber-war-retali...

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

But aren't these 'just' DNS attacks?  That would block access to a site, or make it load at snail's pace, but it's not an actual 'hack' as in going INTO the site and interferring and/or harvesting data, and the type of issue being reported here - i.e. loss of messages - would indicate an actual hack of the site.

@Louise0 Attacks of this sort are often a test for something larger.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ephraim0

Yeah, that was my thought too. Why shout out to beware of a danger and then bamm, have something conveniently happen shortly after, giving even more reason to tighten and enforce 'security control'. 

Who knows - now that ICANN and what's done with critical functions of the Internet have been passed away from U.S. administration on Oct 1st this 'attack' could just be the first sign of things to come ...

Hi @Andrea9 , Right about now considering the state of my nation I envy you for being a citizen of the Neatherlands. I think we are on the same page due to negligent foolish governmental decisions we are headed towards an even less secure future.

Daniela189
Level 2
Houston, TX

I had an inquiry this morning which I answered.  I got an email that he wanted to book.  I signed in online and he is nowhere to be seen,,, it's as if he never made an inquiry.  My message box shows there are two messages, but when I hover over it, it changes to 1 message.  Very strange.

Daniela,

I had the same experience today!  I had a $4500, already confirmed,  reservation and all related email conversation disappear in front of my eyes. 

How will Airbnb deal with the lost business to hosts?  Does anyone know if this kind of thing has happened before and how it was handled?

Zjai @ sleepsweets

@Sleep-Sweets0, this is very disconcerting....."confirmed" means that Airbnb successfully requested the $$$ from the client and is in possession of it. have you contacted Airbnb about it? please let us know what transpires...

Hi There Annette and Curtis,

I did inquire of AirBnB, but am not satisfied with the response.  I am told that someone within AirBnB cancelled the reservation.  I checked with the guest (as we had communicated initially thru my personal email account I was able to contact him).  He says that he received notices today (I notified him of the situation yesterday) of refunds being processed but not yet back in his account. 

At this point, I have lost his business and do not know if he will rebook the reservation.  He may not want to deal with AirBnB given the situation.

What to do?

Zjai @Sleep-Sweets0

hard to know what really happened, just not enough info on this. why did you communicate with this guest outside of the Airbnb platform, just curious? could they have possibly punished you for doing that, so how would they know?  what kind of listing do you have, as $4500 is a considerable amount? Or was it for a long stay? Could you post a link to your listing, thanks.

Hi Annette and Curtis,

Great question!  We are fairly new hosts via AirBnB.  We were handling all of our transactions ourselves and after much study decided to transition to AirBnB.  This guest was someone who we were in conversation with just at the transition point and we directed him to handle the transaction thru airbnb for a long term booking with us. 

So, the cost of the reservation ($4500) is for a long term booking and we "imported"  him to our airbnb business.  However, we believe that he may have already been an airbnb member.  So, we hope that answers your question.

The concept of "punishment" vs inquiry and resolution( if Airbnb has a concern) is distressing.  They never asked us about anything related to this and we would be happy to share documentation with them. 

The listing is for a large(2500sq.ft.) English Basement Apartment that easily sleeps 6, in a primier DC neighborhood a few blocks from the National Zoo on direct transit lines to the National Mall (15 min.) and walking distance to some of the most active areas of the city. 

Here is the link for that listing:  https://airbnb.com/rooms/12588712?

@Sleep-Sweets0

If you communicated on the booking message page about contacting outside of the site, into which Airbnb has insight, they will have seen your planning to go outside of their system. If that's the case, it might have  been an additional 'punishment'  for it as @Annette33 say.