Disappearing Reviews

Douglas109
Level 8
New York, NY

Disappearing Reviews

Early last week, a reservation came in from a guest, his profile said 4 reviews, but I could only see 2 reviews, both positive canned one liners. Hosted him, he was here two nights, which only left me more curious about the missing reviews, he was an eccentric individual to say the least, not a bad guest, just.... wtf was on those missing reviews?!?!?!?!?

Then another guest reserved today, profile says one review but I couldn't see any.... 

So my curiosity peaked and I started to wonder why this was happening? I have left two negative reviews in my time as a host, the first one was for a guest who never left a review back, I just checked and that review is still there on his account.

The second negative review I left though is gone from that users' account, it was in response to a last minute booking, cancellation, AND negative review that all took place literally overnight. I fought with airbnb to get that review wiped from my record on the grounds that the guest never checked in. I went back and forth for weeks, and after I had given up Airbnb randomly contacted me saying they would remove the review from my account. 

Have any of you seen or experienced anything similar as far as disappearing reviews? 

For anyone who has tried to get an unfair review reviewed by airbnb support, this might be like throwing salt on a fresh wound. So in order to avoid getting outraged about the topic. let's imagine having this conversation with a ukelele playing in the background 🙂

1 Reply 1
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Douglas109This commonly happens when a guest has a review that is pending: a host has written a review for them, but they haven't reviewed their host, so the review is in limbo, waiting for them to write one or until the 14-day holding period has passed. As soon as that's happened, the "disappearing" reviews should appear.