Disappointed in Airbnb

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Disappointed in Airbnb

I have been hosting for 4 years and always maintain a positive/good relationship with Airbnb.

Unfortunately, Airbnb made me feel disappointed with the way they handle a recent issue that occurred.

For the FIRST time in 4 YEARS of hosting, I needed to ask my guests to leave and vacate the property.

I have an entire unit listing that is located on the lower level of my private house. I knocked on the door to say hi and found out there were 2 unauthorized guests. As I mentioned in my other post, I gave a 10pm curfew ONLY for that night and sent a reminder that it is against the house rules to bring unauthorized guests. Since then, they became SUPER rude to me... I mean it, not only rude but EXTREMELY rude. They tried to make me feel guilty for not allowing them to do that which is inappropriate because it is not a surprise, it is their responsibility to read and understand the house rules (this was an IB by the way - I resend the house rules right away once the reservation was confirmed and she said she agreed) and it is REQUIRED by Airbnb for guests to agree and follow house rules.

On the 2nd day, I sent a message to check on them. She said that her BIGGEST ISSUE is because I am not allowing her having unauthorized guests (max. occupancy is 4 and she already has 4 and she wants to bring 2 extra = 6 = exceeding max. occupancy).

She said that she is in town to visit her family, so I *should* have told her that the extra 2 will not be an unauthorized guest.... Hmmm interesting! I only have 2 comments for that 1. Did they or did they not in the reservation? Not. So, that means they are unauthorized. 2. She NEVER communicated this to me prior to her arrival (that she wants to have the additional 2 people come hang out at the unit).

So, basically, she is saying that the ONLY way I CAN make her have a good stay is if I BREAK MY OWN RULES by letting her have extra unauthorized guests.

I called Airbnb and was being *harassed* by one of the case manager. She *threatened* me saying either I give this guest a refund (for breaking my rules!) or she will let this guest leaves me a review (which of course she will leave me a bad review for not getting what she wants).

I was shocked and VERY DISAPPOINTED. I feel that I was treated inappropriately. I have been hosting MORE THAN 1,500 TRIPS in the 4 years! I am contributing to this forum to help others and the community. This case manager is favoring the guest. Rewarding the guest with $ because she wants to break house rules. I could not comprehend that... why? Because it does not make any sense nor ethical at all!

At the end, I spoke with a different case manager. At that point, I have been on the phone for HOURS and have been telling the same story to at least 10 people in Airbnb. I was hurt, I was sad, I was disappointed, I was exhausted.

I have a strict cancellation policy and house rules for a reason. A policy is a policy. I have my dignity and integrity in living my life and hosting. I will never take anything that is not my rights nor take advantage of others. Though Airbnb and the guest decided to make me be the one to be punished (loss payout) for no mistakes.

They vacate the premises around 8pm the 2nd night of their stay. I only get paid for the 1st night even though they use the unit until 8pm the 2nd night and I got compensated NOTHING for it.

What Airbnb case manager said:

- They rent an entire unit, so MAYBE they ASSUME they can do this > NO! It is in the house rules

- It is maybe just during the day > NO! The first night it happened in the evening and it does not matter what time, no means no and a policy is a policy

It is very *INTERESTING* to see Airbnb promoting and allowing people to break their own policy and bend house rules.

It is FAR AWAY from "fair". I have always been having a good faith and want to keep the positive attitude and relationship with Airbnb, but they disappoint me so greatly. I am being punished for following the policy and being compliance and a responsible host. The guest is being rewarded for breaking house rules and pressuring me to agree that she can break house rules.

127 Replies 127
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Farah1 

I can only repeat how appalling I find both your guest's entitled behaviour as well as Airbnb's misplaced loyalty and terrible decision.

Do they even realize they are supporting the spawning of this kind of horrible guest?

I have more guests who are non-English-speakers, so I always try to word things in an unmisunderstandable way. I gathered that she understood that 'unauthorized' means non-booked, but for some it might make it clearer. 

What I've also started doing, well the 2 times I got somebody visiting friends or family, is mention that whether they realize I don't allow unbooked visitors. But then I don't have IB on, though you could always follow up with a message accordingly.

Did you know that if somebody books thru the app, which most of the younger generation seems to do, that they will only see the ticked off House rules (kids, pets, parties....) and NOT the personalized ones.I've checked on my iPhone app again and again and cldn't see my own house rules. 

Important to know as host, since it means they don't seem to be important enough for Airbnb to show. 

@Andrea9 "Did you know that if somebody books thru the app, which most of the younger generation seems to do, that they will only see the ticked off House rules (kids, pets, parties....) and NOT the personalized ones.I've checked on my iPhone app again and again and cldn't see my own house rules."

Had a guest recently, a teacher who should be able to read, but was completely oblivious to the House Rules - turns out, she was only using the app. this is a MAJOR problem & needs to addressed ASAP. - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0 the thing is, I find it really weird when people just book without reading the listing in its entirety. I personally will never book a place without reading the listing top to bottom (maybe it's just me). Anyway, that is why there is really no excuse or surprises because everything is available in the listing if they are not lazy to read it.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Yes, that's a big problem.  Guests view the booking details in the app and think that what they see are all the house rules.  Yes, the full set are included in the itinerary, however, as we all know, guests NEVER download and read the full itinerary.  Never.

Airbnb's recent 'enhancement' has actually exacerbated this problem.  On booking, the guest receives an email that purports to include the House Rules.  The guest (not unreasonably) assumes that this meagre list really shows the comprehensive set of house rules.  Unless they actually read the full itinerary, they won't know that the list is truncated.

The only way around this is to send the full set of rules as a seperate message after the booking is made.  Unfortunately, this has the consequence of placing the guest and host in an adversarial mindset from the first message; not a great way to begin the guest/host relationship.

@Louise0I don't think sending the house rules once the booking is confirmed going to ruin any relationship. If it does anything, I think (and hope) that it helps me to be safe than sorry.
I did that and it seems like it doesn't matter to horrible ignorant people who wants to take advantage of others.

@Andrea9 @Farah1

Not see rules?? Isn't this the hallmark of IB "guests must agree to your rules"

when im in preview, I can see my rules (although I do have to click the link). 

Im going to try to go book either Farah's place or yours Andrea and report back what I see. 

@Andrea9

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

i just tried booking Farah's place and a guest can click " Agree" about the House Rules without even opening them!!!

yes, they are there and it shows the first few words but if the guest doesn't click the +more link then they won't see the text Rules at all!!!

This is crazy & a very simple programming issue. The guests have to see the rules in order to agree to them!

all hosts with rules must imbed a phrase or question in their rules immediately to know if guests have read rules or not. 

@Kelly149 yes, it is very simple, yet it is not available that way. There are sites/apps that require us to scroll top to bottom (yes, this is not foolproof as you still do not need to read them if you do not care to read it) before allowing us to hit "accept/agree" and I think this is what should be implemented in the system. How can we give suggestion/petition about this?

@Farah1 Yes, that would be the Host Voice suggestion. Entirety of rules should be entirely visible before guest can move on. 

@Andrea9 thank you for joining the discussion. They were an English speaker and she was an older lady, so I don't know whether she used the app on her phone to book or not. All I know that she is a horrible person.

I did follow up right away, I always send house rules as soon as I receive an Instant Book. She never mentioned that she wants to have extra people to hang out that is exceeding the max.occupancy. If I knew that, I would cancel the reservation before she came. She said that I *should* know that her unauthorized guests will be here because she is visiting a family and that I am in the way for her family to function with not allowing the unauthorized guests to be in the unit. Come on... who's the crazy one here?!

Regarding the house rules not showing in full, that is why I have the extra question specifically for IB guests in my house rules. If they do not reply with the required information, I take it that they did not read the house rules in full and will give a couple of chances. If they keep being difficult and not getting what they should do, that makes me uncomfortable and I can cancel.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Farah1

No doubt abt who the crazy one is! ... and it's not you  🙂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You all raise an interesting point, I have often wonder why guest that inquire ask the very points I list on 'General Information' and now that I think of it, they are inquiring via phones. By coincidence only, everyone that inquires I do send them the that information  right off the bat, as do all 'request' before accepting. Learn something every day.

I didnt know about that but i do think that a lot off people just use the app. We have been guests for a lot of times....using the app. And now host ass well using mostly the app to run our listing. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good morning @Karen-and-Brian0 @Kelly149 @Fred13 @Ellen33

exactly... shocking, isn't it! Undermining themselves and us by not showing this vital information!

Why don't we all post in Host Voice, then post the link here, so we don't miss them and we all give thumbs up.

@Farah1

@Andrea9 This particular guest also said she didn't see her itinerary - which includes the directions to our place. Thinking this isn't accessible on the app. either? She was texting me as she drove out - hopefully she pulled over to do it. 😞      - Karen