[DISCOVER] Pelion, Greece

Yannis37
Level 9
Athens, Greece

[DISCOVER] Pelion, Greece

Pelion could be considered one of the best-hidden corners of Greece as it offers a unique experience to its guests. The peninsula of Pelion stands proudly on the Aegean sea and it is located centrally on the mainland about halfway between Athens and Thessaloniki, Greece's second-largest city. 

The city of Volos and its port sit at the top of this huge bay, Mount Pelion towering above them. It is not just a coincidence that according to ancient mythology, Pelion was the Olympian gods’ chosen place to relax and have their holidays.

Pelion consists of stone-built, picturesque villages, welcoming guests all year round. It is one of the few places in the country that in the winter, when it snows, people use the lifts and ski down Mount Pelion and during summer, the same sort of people come to swim, eat, relax and sleep.

My favourite area of Pelion is the eastern side, where you can enjoy and get mesmerized by the breathtaking views of the Aegean Pelagos. The most beautiful beaches in the area include Milopotamos, divided in two by a huge stone arch, Damouchari where they filmed scenes for Mamma Mia!, Agioi Saranta and Parisaina in Horefto. Fakistra beach is another lovely turquoise bay with soft sand and some rocky spots, amid huge cliffs boasting an exotic, quite wild scenery.

It is worth visiting the villages of Makrinista, Milies, Tsagkarada, Mouresi and Kissos for strolls in the tree-formed tunnels where you will find a vast variety of restaurants, cafes and patisseries serving local delicacies. These villages are made up of traditional little houses with grey stone roofs and paved alleys that ooze charm in abundance! Try local dishes with fresh ingredients such as Spentzofai which is the representative recipe of the area. Sausages with a variety of colourful peppers in a sticky tomato sauce.Visit Horefto to enjoy local seafood delicacies served as mezedes - finger food - accompanied with local tsipouro or wine. 

Once in Pelion, visiting historical panigiria is a must. Panigiria is a local celebration during the summer months mainly in the villages where the patron saint is celebrated. You should expect lots of traditional live Greek music and lots of free food and drinks. You will sit, eat and dance with the locals who you will welcome you with lots of enthusiasm. Famous panigiria in Pelion include:

On July 17th, the village of Kissos celebrates the feast of Agia Marina. On August 15th there are panigiria organised in most villages of Pelion. Particularly popular are the ones in Vizitsa, Agios Lavrentios, and Kala Nera.

For those of a non-beachy disposition, as well as the hiking lovers, Pelion has a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and walking paths. If you want to avoid tourist-packed places and if you enjoy the variety of natural landscapes, Pelion is considered a top holiday destination all year round! 

Part of Pelion MountainPart of Pelion Mountain

Volos as seen from Pelion mountainVolos as seen from Pelion mountain

Mountzouris aka Pelion railwayMountzouris aka Pelion railway

Limnionas beachLimnionas beach

Parisaina beachParisaina beach

Milopotamos beachMilopotamos beach

A well kept secretA well kept secret

Trikeri villageTrikeri village

Papanero beachPapanero beach

Milopotamos beachMilopotamos beach

Damouchari beachDamouchari beach

20160922152547_1.jpg

gefyri.jpg

Chania villageChania village

Μούρεσι Πήλιο.jpg

10 Replies 10

Hi @Yannis37  Wow, great photos & details from a fantastic location.

We have fond memories of that little train & chugging slowly up a verdant green valley. I painted a number of oils and watercolours from the train station and Pelion, one of which I gave to my mum who immediately chucked  the Monet (!) out from it's frame to put my effort on her wall. There's love for you ! ;-D ;-D

Is this where you come from, Yannis ?

Is your Greek listing there ?

Nearby ?

@Yannis37 Wow, what a spectacularly beautiful place. I've never been to Greece, but these pics definitely make me want to visit. That ocean looks extremely inviting.

@Alexandra316 It is very beautiful indeed especially if you love being close to nature. You should visit Greece as i should definitely visit Toronto too. It is worth it. The sea is even better up close..so inviting. It offers you complete peace of mind.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0  Thank you very much. What a great story...That is proper mum love... My listing is in Athens but this is the place where i have spent almost all my summers (and winters some times) since i was a kid.  I wish i had a listing in Pelion though...you never know as my parents have a very beautiful house in the area. Hope you are doing well Vasilis and you enjoy these lovely summer days in Greece

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

@Yannis37’ If I close my eyes I can hear the music and laughter of the locals and smell the aromatic perfume of the traditional dishes . My toes feel the warmth of the sand on these beautiful beaches, or the sweat cooling on my brow from the trekking trails. What a magical place to share with us Yannis, thank you. Should there be a rise in the tourist population, it may just be because of your post👍🏾‘ Stay well !!!!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is just an amazing reply @Laura2484 

It's also giving you a great example of how to write the upcoming one 🙂 

Being a particularly gloomy Monday in London right now I would love to teleport to Pelion right about now and experience everything @Yannis37 writes about (although I was there last summer) 

@Nick Thanks Nick, i wish that you will be able to visit Pelion again soon. Take care 

@Laura2484 Thank you so much. I can feel the warmth of the sand under the magnificent sun as well :-). It is indeed a beautiful place...Happy that i have shared this with the community. Stay well too! All the best 

Patricia2156
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

@Yannis37 What a gorgeous place! I love this this little railway, does it works yet!? 

Thanks for share it!

Patricia de Castro
Yannis37
Level 9
Athens, Greece

@Patricia2156  Thank you, it is a beautiful place indeed. The little train operates during summer. Merry Christmas😊