Discrimination and Belonging

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Discrimination and Belonging

Dear Airbnb community,

At the heart of our mission is the idea that people are fundamentally good and every community is a place where you can belong. We don’t say this because it sounds nice. It’s the goal that everyone at Airbnb works towards every day – because we’ve all seen how when we live together, we better understand each other.

Discrimination is the opposite of belonging, and its existence on our platform jeopardizes this core mission. Bias and discrimination have no place on Airbnb, and we have zero tolerance for them. Unfortunately, we have been slow to address these problems, and for this I am sorry. I take responsibility for any pain or frustration this has caused members of our community. We will not only make this right; we will work to set an example that other companies can follow.

In June, we asked Laura Murphy, the former head of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Washington D.C. Legislative Office, to review every aspect of the Airbnb platform, and to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to fight bias and discrimination. Thanks to Laura’s leadership, today we’re releasing a report that outlines the results of that process. You can read the full report here, but I’d like to highlight four changes that will impact the way our platform works:

Airbnb Community Commitment

Beginning November 1, everyone who uses Airbnb must agree to a stronger, more detailed nondiscrimination policy. We aren’t just asking you to check a box associated with a long legal document. We’re asking everyone to agree to something we’re calling the Airbnb Community Commitment, which says:

We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias.

Open Doors

We’ll be implementing a new policy called Open Doors. StartingOctober 1st, if a Guest anywhere in the world feels like they have been discriminated against in violation of our policy – in trying to book a listing, having a booking canceled, or in any other interaction with a host – we will find that Guest a similar place to stay if one is available on Airbnb, or if not, we will find them an alternative accommodation elsewhere. This program will also apply retroactively to any Guest who reported discrimination prior to today. All of these Guests will be offered booking assistance for their next trip.

Instant Book

We’ll increase the availability of Instant Book, which allows our hosts to offer their homes to be booked immediately without their prior approval of a specific guest. Instant Book makes booking easier for everyone, and our goal is to have 1 million listings bookable via Instant Book byJanuary 1st, 2017.

Anti-bias training

We are working with experts on bias, including Dr. Robert Livingston of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Dr. Peter Glick of Lawrence University, to make anti-bias training available to our community, and will be publicly acknowledging those who complete it.

These steps are just the beginning, not the end, of our efforts to combat bias and discrimination.

While we as a company have been slow on this issue, I am now asking you the community to help us lead the way forward. Every time you make someone else feel like they belong, that person feels accepted and safe to be themselves. While this may sound like a small act of kindness, we are a community of millions of people strong. Imagine what we can do together.

Brian Chesky

CEO, Co-founder

David
49 Replies 49

@Sandra126   Great idea,   I added it to the Q&A for the founders with reference to this post in a link. I also added a third. Am curious how they respond if at all. 

@Sandra126

The same though had occurred to me, a one size fits all type of system when there are som many fundamentally different types of business being transacted makes less and less sense as the complications arise.

Obviously the needs of those hosting in their homes, those enting out totally seperate properties and the hotel type listings are very different.

David

And the guests already know the differences when they look for a place on Airbnb so why spend the time and money to spoon feed them what is already obvious?! (I know where the money will come from if you restructure!) If they are not smart enough to figure out what they want and book an accomodation that is mutually satisifying - then they are not smart enough to be trust worthy in someone's home. If they don't have the capacity to get along in the adult world and interact accordingly - what person in their right mind would trust them with their stove, shower, furniture, thermostat, keys, etc? Why do I get the sense that we feel the need to treat guests like they are mentally challanged? Just because a few disgruntelled individules (or the ACLU) complained doesn't mean that anything is fundamentally wrong with the system! Change is good ONLY if it is necessary!

EVERY guest already knows they can book a hotel or book someone's home! Why should Airbnb restructure to give people what they already have: A CHOICE!!! We need to stop feeling the need to coddle these 'high maintenance' guests who want to cry 'discrimination' accusations. They are big boys and girls with every capability of communicating their needs, expectations and position. If they are not happy with Airbnb - they can go elsewhere! 

If someone wants to instant book - great go to a hotel!

I'm starting to wonder if the competition of Airbnb sent their minions over to cause us problems and now us HOSTS (who happen to be the foundation of the whole business!!!) are getting the shaft! Just a guess! - -  - but seriously we need to stop jumping at every wind that blows! Airbnb will totally fall apart if they think they can please everyone!! They need to have a disclaimer to all guests which reads:

We are not responsible for your happiness! YOUR happiness is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

June9
Level 2
Millersburg, IN

To Airbnb -

We believe that this concept and implementation of "Airbnb" (which is making you millions because we, as hosts, are willing to open our home to complete strangers) is beneficial to a host ONLY when guests are "HONEST", have INTREGITY,  PURE MOTIVES and are seeking a WIN/WIN arrangement in their guest/host relationship. HOWEVER, as I just stated, those of us who are opening our homes to complete strangers have an obligation to ourselves and our properties to be wise in deciding who fits the above description for a 'good' client. In our experience, we base NOTHING on 'race, religion, orientation, etc!!!!! We base all our decisions by the relationship we develope with a potential client (via communication) on whether we feel they can be trusted! It is all about TRUST! If they refuse to respectfully give us information about themselves, if they are deceitful in the number of persons staying, or they refuse to read the property info and/or try to manipulate their way around property criteria, ETC. - we choose not to host them! It has NOTHING to do with discrimination! It has everything to do with being an intelligent and responsible business owner. It appears that those guests who have experiences the natural consequences of their irresponsibliity are playing the descrimination card to get even for being held accountable!

It's the perfect narcissistic tactic - and it is the downfall of many great companies!

I would like to reiterate that the only way Airbnb can be successful is for us hosts to continue to put our properties in potential harms way by trusting the public to take care of them. If you take away our only means of 'interviewing' by forcing us to "INSTANT BOOK" we will withdraw our relationship with your company! We are SUPER HOSTS  because we treat all of our guests with the same respect and kindness we ourselves expect from them.

I would be very curious to know who out there in the 'guest' arena is screeming 'DESCRIMINATION'! I would like to remind them that before Airbnb came along there were hotels and motels for them to stay at and we Airbnb hosts do not OWE them an alternative! AND the only persons who would wine and complain are the persons who are not hosts themselves and who lack perspective because they lack experience OR they are simply trying to cause problems.

It would serve everyone well for you (as Airbnb management) to recognize that when you start taking the rights away from those of us who make your business even possible - you will end up screwing everyone at your own demise because those of us who are Superhosts will walk away.

From two of the very best NON-discriminatory superhosts on your payroll