Dishonest Reviews

Ashley168
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Dishonest Reviews

Hi all!

Recently I've had several guests leave reviews complaining about certain house rules that are made clear on the listing and booking confirmation and several other places for easy access. These unreasonable complaints are things like they wanted to use the hot tub but couldn't remember the times so they didn't or that they can't access my living area of the house... They've also been leaving negative reviews stating how things should be changed or suited to their preferences. It's bizarre to me because everything is SO clear before and during booking. 

I've been a superhost for 4 years and am extremely frustrated with Airbnb's response to these negative reviews. My efforts to seek support from the "Support" Team - as well as have the reviews that are blatantly ridiculous - removed have not been heard by the Airbnb team. They simply state their policy and that reviews would basically need to be violent or discriminatory to be taken down.

How is everyone else dealing with dishonesty? I believe that greater efforts need to be taken by Airbnb to address this and would like to form some sort of effort to have it addressed.

18 Replies 18

The disclaimers! I love disclaimers and have several.

What I'm seeing recently (since COVID) is a lot of "complaints" about the disclaimers. Things guests were informed clearly and openly about. (i.e I live on the property and the yard is shared and then get a complaint that the yard isn't private from the owners...) These types of reviews used to be removed because it was in the listing/disclaimers/etc, now they aren't.

JohnAndTeresa0
Level 5
Greenbackville, VA

Been a Super Host for 7+ years. And really feel one low review carries WAY too much weight. Feel so bad for the host that has lots of 5 *’s  works hard to do a great job, then is punished for some (one) or two lower stars.    Why is that?   Average math does not compute.     You know this needs to change.   Witnessed this complaint for many years by Hosts.     What can be done about this?
Rewiews are for guests seeking information.   New Airbnb guests have told us they would have never completed the review if we had not spent time educating them.   What can Airbnb do to counter/balance this disparity? 

Ashley168
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I agree. Something needs to change. Isn't there a task force that's supposed to be helping us?

I agree. This past weekend my 1st guest lied said my neighborhood isnt safe check the statistics 2% crime. I practically live across the street from a museum  And that the apartment and bedding smelled moldy. Mind you its a newly renevated apartment and bedding fresh out the box and furniture is brand new. I haven't even sat on it. Such a dishonest guest.