Dishonest review from very first guest

Earth6
Level 2
กทม, TH

Dishonest review from very first guest

Im very new hosting. I started to hosting last month (December 2019) I assumed that the guest that made a reservation, it was her first time for Airbnb. I think that she misunderstand SO MANY THINGS about our place for hotel or homestay shared. Language-barrier might be the main problem. First of all, she requested for pick-up at airport. Since we arent be able to offer that kind of service so We suggest that she might have to rent a car or take a taxi. Then she said that she already paid for trip via Airbnb.(First misunderstanding) This started to make me worry. Then after she arrived at airport. It seem like it take so long to get on taxi. Because of language-barrier, and even after I told a taxi about the address in detail it still take a lot of time. And I told her to open a house’s manual to it might get easier for taxi to know and she replied that she will let me know when she can speak English (I used translator for all the conversation since she only replying back in Korean) Then tourism police called me that she want to get a refund because she couldnt get on taxi. But with tourism police’s helping, she got on a taxi and arrived safely. THEN check-in, our housekeeper gave her a quick house’s tour(since it look like the guest might not understand anything in the manual or not even read it), including teaching how to open a stove. From what I heard from our housekeeper, she did request for meal service(I didn’t write anything that we have those of service)At night I received DM from her that our place is too far from the centre, and our kitchen was  bad and not what she thought it would be and she want me to call her at the morning for a talk. I did say sorry and say that I would sent our housekeeper in the morning, And will make a call then. After that a few hour later, she made a cancellation. So I told our housekeeper to go to the cabin in the morning as soon as possible coz after cancellation they need pack out. This is my first hosting so I dont know that did I make some mistake. Then she gave me a review about blaming refund policy and only say that my house is bad. Any advice for this kind of situation? 

23 Replies 23

@Susan17 @Rowena29 @Stephanie @Kath9 this is what I got from CS 

The review did not mention anything about specific details of an Airbnb investigation, but only mentioned that she stayed for 1 night and didn't get any refund for the remaining nights.

She told you that the property was not as good as she expected. As a host, you could have offered a partial refund to her. This could be the reason she was complaining about a refund, but it's also not certian since it's her experience.

Moreover, the guest did not mention how much refund she got. So, the review stays.”

For the past several years, up until the new review policies, any mention of a refund in a review was enough to get it removed, @Earth6, so unfortunately, they've obviously decided to crack down on that now too. I guess that's why the clause suddenly disappeared from the Content Policy. I'm very surprised that the CX agents are aware of it though - I'd still imagine that a lot of them aren't, particularly as so many of them seem completely oblivious to the terms and implications of the new policies. Still, it was worth a try (and if I were you, I wouldn't be giving up just yet!)

Quick question - have you been dealing with CX by email on this, and have you been dealing with the same support agent throughout? 

@Susan17 Only inbox via app. Should I try by e-mail. Im not sure that I have been dealing with the same support agent or not. Every time I got replying back it seems like change and some replying not mention their name.

@Earth6 ,

@Susan17 has a lot more experience about handling Cs than I do and I'd be tempted to wait to see what else she suggests.

However I'm reasonably sure that you get a better outcome from Cs when you RING rather than email. Also when you have them on the phone, it's easier to challenge some of the things that they are saying and to keep referring back to clauses or sentences in the policy.

On of the good (?) things about CS is that you can often get a completely different answer from a CS rep, depending on their level of experience and knowledge.  If you get one that seems to be not very helpful, just say thankyou, let them close the case, and then ring up and try again with a different rep.  Your conversation with one, does not influence the outcome with the next one, as I understand it. That's why it's often useful to keep trying.   I would have thought the fact that she referred to you as a HOSTEL in the opening line, could have qualified for an irrelevant review, but as Susan says, the policy is so vague, it's a bit hard to know. 

@Rowena29 Like you said, I also think that the fact she referred me as HOSTEL in opening line. It looks like to be an irrelevant review. I will try to call them even it might not work....

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Earth6 

re: 'HOSTEL'.

I see your Guest was Korean. I've noted elsewhere on CC that Korean is one of the languages that doesn't translate well via the Google translation used by Airbnb. 

Last year I had a Korean guest who hardly spoke English but made considerable effort to communicate with me in English via Google translate. This included her Review and Private Feedback. I've copied it below, where you can see the various interchangeable references to 'home' / 'house' as both 'hostel' and 'hotel'.

I've further underlined three sentences that didn't make sense given the evidently positive tone of Review & Feedback. 

Review:

I wondered what it would be like in a British home. Many of the stairs made me embarrassed at first, but I was relieved that the warm smile of host Alon was met. Even though it was a somewhat old-fashioned house, I stayed well without any inconvenience, and Alon always did his best in spite of his work. Above all, I liked the location of the hostel very much. It is near from station, and there was not to be inconvenient to stay in mall, restaurant, coffee shop in the outskirts. I hope to be able to go again next time.

Private Feedback: 

Dear Alon.. I am now in Edinburgh. Thanks for being able to stay uncomfortable in London. There was a little addiction in the hotel, but it was not bad for staying. I want more people to get a good impression of your home. I'll always cheer for your work to finish nicely. Stay healthy.

Consequently, I am not convinced that you will be able to claim the review 'irrelevant' based on that single word 'Hostel'. 

@Earth6 

@Rowena29's excellent advice above is spot on. Try using the "hostel" angle, try irrelevant review, try quoting the content that relates to specific details or outcome of an Airbnb investigation. Whatever it takes. And speak with as many CX agents as you need to, until you get a sympathetic and knowledge rep, who understands your situation and will help you out 🙂

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Earth6 Your place looks beautiful! If I was still travelling, I'd love to stay there & give 5 stars!

I've stayed in 5 different areas of Malaysia, also Fiji & Tonga, & some of our accommodation (before Airbnb) was so simple & basic, it makes yours look like luxury! For Kampong style accommodation yours IS luxury!

You could include a line near the top of your listing to say ' This is not a hotel & does not include hotel services.'?

When I get a guest whose pre-trip messaging seems to expect too much I ask them "Do you understand I don't provide XYZ?" Then if they realise I'm not what they want, they can cancel... (Make THEM cancel, else you get penalised.)

You were SO unlucky to get a first guest like this.... Maybe Koreans are used to cities, & city facilities? I'm sure Europeans, & Australians will love your place! And I've met happy Chinese in Kampong style too!

Airbnb hosts have a phrase for reviewing guests like yours: - "BETTER SUITED TO A HOTEL!!!"

@Helen350 thank you! I will include a line as your suggestion.