Dishonest threats about reviews

Sofía4
Level 2
Austin, TX

Dishonest threats about reviews

Guys,

I recently hosted a lady who was clearly determined to get a big discount out of the cabin from the moment she made the reservation. She complained that she thought it was another price for hours, even though I kept explaining her that sometimes Airbnb uses a 'starting at' type of advertising and that she should've been able to see the final price at the time she finalized the reservation. Having hosted for more than 2 years now, I could tell what type of guest she was going to be right away. So I kept insisting that she would not get charged a cancellation fee if she wasn't comfortable with the price, but she refused to cancel.

Her second day after check-in she sent a few pictures of a dirty toilet, an empty toilet paper tray and a dirty plate. I was personally at the cabin right before her check-in and I can tell you that this stuff was made up after she used that stuff. She called me and kept yelling at me that she would post the pictures in the review if I didn't refund her the entirety of the cleaning fee because she had to clean up the place herself. I had to give in because I'm really afraid to lose my superhost status but the whole situation left my blood boiling. I am obviously going to leave an honest review describing my experience hosting, but I am afraid since people travel in groups, a bad review wouldn't affect her as much as it would affect me.

My question to Airbnb is, Is there a system to protect hosts against dishonest guests like this and their reviews? Especially when we have a history of excellent reviews. I moved away from HomeAway because I kept getting guests like this and I'm really afraid that they're coming over to Airbnb as well.

10 Replies 10
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Sofía4   Have your cleaning people or yourself take pictures with a date and time stamp using your cell phone before the guests arrive. It will take 5 to 10 minutes. This way you can immediately call AirBnB, this guest in reality blackmailed you and you let her. I would have contacted AirBnB and requested she be removed for the blackmail. You need to raise your rates, you are attacting a discount, demanding and high maintence crowd. Probably why you had issues at HA also. Go up in rate also add $20 per extra guest. Raise your base to $169 for 6 and your weekends to $189-$199 then $20 each for the next 4 guests.  Every red flag was present with this guest. I would have called AirBnB to cancel as you were uncomfortable with her when she refused to cancel in the very begining. They could see the messages in the system. Do not let guests treat you like this all because your are afraid of losing your SuperHost status. She's going to give you a bad review anyway which will effect your status anyway. Also she can not post pictures in her review. 

The rate was $239/night for the weekend during her stay. The cabin does not rent out at rates much higher than that unless it's a holiday.

Though the idea of taking pictures sounds great, it is a big cabin so it'd take much longer than 5-10 minutes every time. I'd probably get charged extra in a town in which it's hard enough to find labor in the first place.

I appreciate your reply.

Donna119
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

Hi, its very hard when you're feeling bullied. The best thing to do is ring Airbnb. Ive realised myself in the 2 years hosting that more and more people are asking for 'my best rate' when enquiring, I often say that is my BEST rate as its so reasonable as to be ridiculasly cheap- which I too do to keep in line with other hosts nearby.  Recently I was being hassled to give a 'private rate' after I sent her an offer, I was not going to deal outside of airbnb because theres no protection, but she kept hassling me and not listening, so I withdrew my offer and wished her all the best in finding a place more suitable for her needs. She apologised and asked for me to reconsider at the origional price ! I ignored her. Im sick of being hassled by so many people from all around the world asking for private rates and deals, so Im closing my airbnb in January and will pursue other more pleasant income opportunities. Good luck to you, but dont let anyone bully you, stand your ground. ( If you need to, get the police involved, do it. )

Heather32
Level 6
Hawaii, United States

The above advice is perfect. I've had to deal with one such situation, and although Airbnb really wanted to save the reservation, I pretty much insisted they had to go. You have a right to protect your property, and the guest has to make an agreement with Airbnb to not threaten hosts with a bad review for a discount. Next time something like this happens, call Airbnb.

Kristine12
Level 2
Prague, Czechia

I had same experience with my guest today. The guest is complaining about everything and also is asking for a refund of cleaning fee. 

All my review for that apartment are five starts and the guy gave me only one star today. 

Hd is complaining about things that it is simply not true- like that I have cockroaches, that apartment was very dirty etc. he doesn’t have any documentation.

I called to Airbnb asking to contact the guest if he can provide some picture of cockroaches, sorry bedsheets etc but Airbnb refused to do that. They can not delete any reviews or ask the guest to prove it.

after hosting a few years and being a superhost with 400 reviews I really feel very disappointed. Airbnb does not offer any protection or even support. The guest can write whatever wants, it’s their right.

It’s very sad when your guest is simply a conman 😞 

Since you have over 400 reviews, you are protected from the effects of this type of con artist.  New hosts are not.  I agree that unless the review violates the content policy, it should remain as I do not want Air BNB interfering with reviews on a more subjective basis.  However, more than likely your review of the guest will have more impact.  😛

An honest review of this guest will pay it forward to the next host who will either not accept the guest or be aware of this type of con activity.  Fortunately you are in a power position in the host community.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

You'll always get people looking to get something for nothing.  It's not airbnb, it's just the world we live in.  This will happen in every business.  customers will threaten to go blast a business on social media or online reviews if they don't get whatever it is they are asking for.  There isn't much anybody can do and these disgruntled people know it and take full advantage.  Airbnb can't remove these reviews or else they risk being outed for doctoring the review system, they have to let them stand as is unless they break certain terms of service like posting racial or threatening remarks.  Its the by product of the internet age I'm afraid.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristine12  The CS person you talked to is incorrect. They can and do remove reviews under some circumstances. I suggest you contact Airbnb again to see if you maybe get a CS rep who knows what they are talking about and is more helpful. 

Hello all,
We have been a super host for5 months now and our last guest caused neighbor complaints, damages to items in the home and complained during their staff. During their stay, they mentioned several times wanting to get a hotel room but we elected to only allow them to cancel, never to entice them to leave or cause issues. the first complaint was at their late arrival and texting us at 1:00 A.M. of hot water. I made a point to be there at the home at 7:30 to check it out, but they would not let me in. After-the-fact, there was nothing wrong with the hot water. They expected to take 10 minute showers back-to-back with a small water heater. Complaints came from neighbors cursing in the yard. Working on their truck in the front yard, damages from their dogs, dog food all over the floor. We had not option to give them a bad review. We do not want them to affect other Airbnb host.

Midnight last night, we got a call and cursed out, threatened by them to fly back and take care of it. Thank goodness, they did the same on the message board(already reported).

We have no idea what to expect from this quest. Other than just dis-allowing them access to Airbnb, what else can be done? Sorry, but if you are a quest in my home, and I get complaints from neighbors and you damage my home, you will get a bad review.

This is a new one to us. thank you all. PS. We never/NEVER lifted one single curse word, or entice them in a conversation. We use the messages and reviews to say our peace.

@Chris-and-Hinky0   Sounds to me that you handled the situation as best you could and by posting a bad review you demonstrated your commitment to the host community.  That the guest chose to contact you by phone and threaten you is one of the best reasons to NEVER allow a local booking.  Meanwhile, you can block their number and spare yourself the harrassment.  Should the guest leave a threatening message,  it may be seen as a "terrorist" threat in some states.  Best of luck for the future in this business.