Disrespectful guests - I left bad review - they are threatening social devistation of my home

Shannon207
Level 2
Medford, OR

Disrespectful guests - I left bad review - they are threatening social devistation of my home

I rented my upscale home in Cabo San Lucas for a 3 night stay.  

The 7 adults staying there treated my home like a fraternity.  Furniture was moved, there were cigarette butts all over in the flower beds, on my patio, hundreds in the trash (NON SMOKING HOME).  They left a huge pile of dishes in the sink (check out instructions specify put in dishwasher).  There were piles of wet towels on the furniture, spilled drinks on my dining room table that weren't cleaned up, bags of garbage around the house and my couch and one of my towels smelled like human feces.  Pieces of funiture were moved around - all and all just a huge mess.  It took my 2 cleaning people 3 full days to bring the house back around (they can usually flip it in 6 hours).

I left a review stating that they were disrespectful to my home, did not clean, smoked, and left everything a complete disaster (I left out some details in the review).  They had also reserved for 5 adults and there were 7.

They posted a good review of the home which prompted mine to post for them.  Since the posting of the review they have done nothing but text me and my property manager threatening to destroy the repuation of my home through social media if I do not change the review because they don't think they will ever be able to rent again (good).

Although I know that I did the right thing, this retaliation is stressful.  Any advice?

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Sorry this happened to you, @Shannon207. Contact airbnb right away and tell them what is happening and make sure to tell them about the damage, the extra unpaid-for guests, etc. Include copies of the text messages they are sending you (which I hope you're not responding to) Block their numbers on your phone and your property manager's phone. Flag their profiles.

They are ignorant in addition to being terrible people. You can't alter an already submitted review.

Thanks.  I will do that.  No - I haven't responded.  I figure there is no reasoning with them.  They were so disrespectful......Sometimes I wish you could add photos to the reviews - that would tell the story.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shannon207   Also, how did you know there were 7 instead of the 5 booked? Your property manager? If that ever happens again, your property manager needs to notify you and the extra guests are either told to leave, or you to an alteration to the booking for extra guest fees. 

I hope you did take photos. While you can't attach them to a review, you should submit them to airbnb when you contact them.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Shannon207 also, click the Report button under his profile and then also the Block user after that.

I've clicked the Report button too.

Contact CS, the review can't be changed and harrassment is not allowed

And, for the future, guests who break one rule (pay for 5 but come with 7) are very likely on a path to breaking another. Very good idea to lay down the law (or remove them) immediately.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Shannon207 May I suggest set a limit of 4 and find the measures to make sure only 4 stay. Perhaps raise price, which I have no clue what it is. Anything to prevent the 'group' party type - they are a disaster every time, most of the time they have no conscience.