Disrespectful guests in regards to housekeeping measures?

Answered!
William-and-Carlos0
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

Disrespectful guests in regards to housekeeping measures?

We are at wits-end with an increasing number of guests seemingly assuming, since they paid a cleaning fee, they have no responsibility in taking care of the condo. We are diligent in providing our guests with an attractive, meticulously clean, and fully stocked residence, at a cost much greater than our cleaning fee.

Yet, all my measures to encourage guests to follow through and respectfully return the condo have not worked.

This seems to have become much more troublesome this year (2021), and there seems to be a difference between guests from AirBNB versus VRBO... We are seriously considering withdrawing from hosting short-term rentals, more because of the disrespect... Does AirBNB make an effort to demand guests to be more attentive to the care of the residence?... What measures have other hosts found to be effective?

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@William-and-Carlos0  Another host here, @Emilia42, recently posted a link to Airbnb's published "Guest Reliability Standards," which includes:

• Cleanliness: Guests should not leave the listing in a state that requires excessive or deep cleaning (ex: with soiled carpet, moldy dishes, excessive trash, etc.). Cleaning fees are only meant to cover the cost of standard cleaning between reservations (ex: laundry, vacuuming, etc.).

I'm considering printing out the whole thing, which can be found here:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2894/guest-reliability-standards

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@William-and-Carlos0  Another host here, @Emilia42, recently posted a link to Airbnb's published "Guest Reliability Standards," which includes:

• Cleanliness: Guests should not leave the listing in a state that requires excessive or deep cleaning (ex: with soiled carpet, moldy dishes, excessive trash, etc.). Cleaning fees are only meant to cover the cost of standard cleaning between reservations (ex: laundry, vacuuming, etc.).

I'm considering printing out the whole thing, which can be found here:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2894/guest-reliability-standards

@Ann72 I did not see the original post this is super helpful. I wonder where there  is the good place to plug it in. Should it be in my welcome message? Putting in my house book might be a little harsh. 

I think putting it in the welcome message would be harsh, but we all have different approaches - and more to the point, different guests.  One kind of guest might need to see this right up front.  Another might be better served by finding it at the back of the house manual.  I'm wondering if I should hire an artist to transcribe it onto a blank wall...

@Ann72 @Inna22 

I think you could print it, put it in a picture frame and hang it on the wall, near the entrance. 

@Inna22 @Ann72 @Emilia42 How about this novel idea? Maybe Airbnb could take responsibility and make sure guests are aware of the guest reliability standards. (Though I’m really liking @Ann72‘s idea of making it a wall mural 🤣)

Why does it always fall to us to do the heavy lifting? 

@Emilia42 you mean next to the other picture frames with other rules they do not read? 🙂

Jenny838
Level 5
Arizona, United States

Those are some pretty low standards Airbnb has set. I wish they would have stated something to the effect of leaving the space as it was found was the only acceptable standard.