Do Amazon Echo & Google Home devices need to be disclosed on the surveillance section of listings?

Dave53
Level 3
Killington, VT

Do Amazon Echo & Google Home devices need to be disclosed on the surveillance section of listings?

Does anyone know if Amazon Echo and Google Home devices need to be disclosed on the surveillance section of your listing?

I searched online, and the only thing I found regarding this was on a third party site that said no:

"Airbnb’s new rules don’t require you to disclose the presence of devices like Google Home or Amazon Alexa, despite them being much more intrusive than a device like NoiseAware."

The AirBNB page is not clear on this.

Personally, I'd argue that they are not actively recording and do not fall under the the surveillance device terms - https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-device...

Looking for any official word on this issue. Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Dave53
Level 3
Killington, VT

Ok, I received a response from Twitter support in case anyone in the future has this question: "You will not have to disclose these devices as surveillance on your listing description since they do not record. We hope this clarifies things..."

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Good to know, @Dave53.  Thanks for the posting.

Ryan1972
Level 1
Broken Arrow, OK

I recently had Airbnb Support tell me that Amazon Echoes are surveillance devices even though I told them that they do not record and are normal products that guests enjoy.  All of the policies they sent me did not mention anything about Amazon Echoes.  They need to update their policies.