Do Guests See the amount of Security Deposit?

Catherine577
Level 3
Memphis, TN

Do Guests See the amount of Security Deposit?

I've read many horror stories about trying to make damage claims through Airbnb. I want to increase my security deposit. Do potential guests or confirmed guests see the amount of the security deposit? It's a misnomer, by the way, as an actual deposit is never collected. That's my second question: why doesn't Airbnb collect an actual deposit? It's collected up-front on long-term rental contracts. 

19 Replies 19
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Everybody can see it, because it is mentioned in the listing. Yours is USD 125,-

Best regards,Emiel

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Possibly Airbnb doesn't collect it, @Catherine577, because it would greatly reduce the revenue: many who now book would be deterred by such sums, either because they do not have that money, or because they might be afraid to lose should the host claim damages.

In the current form, it is only in theory that hosts may feel safe. I would not rent my entire place without checking on Airbnb guests. Other sites do allow a real deposit, which makes you feel more secure.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Catherine577 Yes, the security deposit is clear outlined in every listings fees. In my struggle to figure out a ‘good’ amount where if a guest goes ‘buck wild’ in my place and tears everything up, what dollar amount would get me back in the game. In April 2017 I bought a brand new dining room set. 

It has four chairs and a bench making seating for six. In June I had some ‘urban youth’ rent our place and these fools broke the brand new bench seat for the dining table. I filed the claim for a new bench on the host guarantee in the resolution center. I sent in the receipt (twice) and a screen shot of a new bench from Amazon. In the end I got $130 from the deposit and a new bench. On Tripadv, they do collect the actual deposit and it makes the total for the guest very expensive. I think Airbnb appears more attractive because you don’t have the up front holding of your funds. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Thank you, Rene & Zac, for your reply. I wonder what verbiage is given with the security deposit so the guests understand what the amount signifies? I've read some bad stories from hosts, so I raised my deposit amount. I don't see what guests receive after booking, so was wondering how the deposit is explained by Airbnb. Anyone know?

@Catherine577 The short answer is that most guests understand very little about how any of this works. Even less about security deposit. Some hosts explain that the deposit isn’t really taken, others act as if they’re in control of the funds. 

What all hosts should know is that regardless of the amount they’ve set, abb is the decider of whether or not any damage is worthwhile of being paid for. 

Hi Rene & Zac,

I am new to Airbnb. I just wonder where I can see the security deposit as a guest. I checked the homepage of @Catherine577's listing "5 STARS! HOUSE SLEEPS 6- IN SMYRNA- LUXURY LIVING!" but I can not find any information about the security deposit. 

Best,

Derek

@Huo0 Hi, I think you have to select dates as if you're booking to see the security deposit.

No security deposit listedNo security deposit listed

@Huo0 I agree with you. There is nowhere to view @Catherine577 security deposit. I’m not sure when the guest is shown the security deposit at this point. That’s a screen shot of @Catherine577 request to book. It shows NO security deposit listed. 

@Rene-and-Zac0 Yes, you're right. I went in to my listing just to make sure there was a sec. dep...lol!

Well, it's a deep,dark secret to the guests then. Has ABB removed it from everything including the confirmation that the guests receive?? If the guests NEVER see it then we can set the amount to match our insurance deductible, right?!?

I was wondering what happened to it, do not know, but the site is always been messed around and if somebody deleted that field then it would not totally surprise me.

If a Guest books and is not shown a Security Deposit then it does not apply to that booking.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is information on the AirBnb web site about what a Security Deposit is and is not, doubt very many read it.

David
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

For years, the deposit was actually taken, sometimes over long periods,  and an ongoing claim would hold it in airbnb’s coffers. It’s not in Airbnb’s interest not to actually take it, but in a way it is:

guests with no big allowance on their card, could not make new bookings , before the miney was back. 

A cancellation shortly before checkin (even a host cancellation) woul block their card by the withdrawal of the deposit and they would be stranded woth no way to book elsewhere with the same card. 

The service rvolved from long holidays to successions of short stays. Even a rich traveller on a crosscountry or cross continent tril would find all his cards maxed out with short time. Banks take their own good time to credit funds back. That the money was sent back, does not mean, that the money is available- there may be a long weekend and two days of validity between return and availability. 

It’s in our interest, that the money is not taken, but airbnb only gets a claim to withdraw at need. What could be imporoved is clarity over the procedure and less arbitrary decisions. But these would happen with the miney on airbnb’s bank account as well. 

So to clarify, if the host has a security deposit and the guest books it (and doesn't see it), does the security deposit apply? I'm having the same issue where we have set a security deposit on our property but guests are not seeing it (like the screenshot above). 

Can someone please assist? Anyone from Airbnb on this forum? Lack of support (or visability to support) is kind of frustrating. Anyone have best practices for that too?

Thanks!