Do I need additional insurance (outside of Airbnb's Host Protection Insurance)?

John-and-Debbie0
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Do I need additional insurance (outside of Airbnb's Host Protection Insurance)?

As I understand the Airbnb Host Protection Insurance you are automatically covered if someone injures themself in your home accidentally. Is that correct? I also understand you are not paying anything extra for this insurance or is that incorrect? Does anyone have any experience with the Host Protection Insurance in the United Kingdom? I tried asking Airbnb directly but got no reply.

25 Replies 25
Gabi1
Level 2
Exeter, United Kingdom

Hi John and Debbie,

I am in the UK too (Devon) and I just had my house insurance cancelled today when I told my insurer that I am a host on Airbnb. I asked Airbnb for advice and this was the response:

Greetings Gabi,
My name is Tina and I work here at Airbnb. I am sorry to hear about this current situation. We absolutely want you and your home to be safe. Thank you for reaching out about insurance
As we operate in so many cities around the world, we cannot give you specific advice regarding insurance options in your area.
We do have a FAQ regarding insurance, however, we are unable to give referrals or recommendations at this time: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/296
Your best bet is to consult with an insurance broker to assess the risks and liabilities that are covered by your existing insurance coverage, or that can be purchased.
The following links may also be of help:
- www.airbnb.com/responsible-hosting
- www.airbnb.com/help/question/231
Finally, we have a new called our 'Community Center' and you can you learn about this new area here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1153
The Community Center allows our users to collaborate, brainstorm, and socialize with one another. Many hosts have been able to find answers to issues or matters that arise from short-term hosting.
Please let me know if you have any other account-related questions. We are here to help the best we can. If not, I hope you have a wonderful week.
Kind regards,
Tina
www.airbnb.com/help

I think we need to be very careful to get insurance sorted out before taking in guests. The danger as I see it, is if there is a claim (nothing to do with Airbnb hosting) and it comes out that you are hosting, the insurer can legitimately refuse to pay out at all. I am researching insuranc eproviders for myself and I will post on here when I get myself sorted....

Good luck! BTW it is definitely worth all the effort!!!

Gabi Humphries

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/251785

Hi Gabi - did you get insurance sorted out - I have house and contents and see what Air B & B provide but I wonder what conclusion you have come to - at the moment my insurers want dates and times and how many people are staying on any one let!  I have the potential to be quite successful so I don't want to skip over this issue - eg if there is a fire (I let my whole place and am not in residence...do let me know what you decided to do.

Regards

Denise

I had to get separate liabliity insurance for $2 million, required by my insurance company and by the tourism office, for a "tourist home business".

thanks - I havo found a company in the UK wh will cover air b & b guests - contents and insurance so am going to gnange to them.  adrian flux

Mike25
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Could you let me know who your UK insurer is please? I'm in need of isurance in the UK as an Airbnb host.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mike25 Hi Mike.....I am, not familiar with the UK insurance scene but there are obviously companies in England who serve the same function as that in Australia where we have excellent hosting protection.

I suggest you read this link....it will inform you as to what you will need and what companies offer it in the UK

Good luck and cheers......Rob

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/home-and-property-insurance/a-guide-to-airbnb-insurance

what's the company that you are using for insurance?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shelley5.....Hi Shelley, If you were refering to my post I use a company called Sharecover in Australia! This company has been set up to cater for home hosting and offers protection for both the Airbnb platform and that of Stayz. There is also another company who provide similar cover for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM. I also believe AAMI have just brought out a policy for hosting as well which sits well with their general household cover!

Neither of these companies replace my existing household insurance but it does cover damage or liability issues whilst a guest is on your property. Coverage typically costs around $4.00au per day with Sharecover and you only insure for the time that guests are on your property. So, at least in Australia we have a number of good alternatives to insure with.

I am aware of similar companies in the US and in the UK but a quick google search failed to bring up a similar company in Canada but Shelley if you call the Insurance Council of Canada I am sure they would be able to suggest an alternative for you in Ottawa. I would suggest your insurance council rather than your local rep. I have found over the years Insurance reps tend to promote what is best for them, rather than what is best for the client!

Cheers......Rob

Khuong0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Robin That link to the TowerGate is very good. Thank you. Haven't managed to find anything as agile as Sharecover yet but have a callback scheduled with some of the big hitters in the UK insurance market. AirBnB has exploded in the UK over the las few years so there is definitely a market for agile smaller insurance players.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Khuong0......Thanks Khuong, I am glad it lead somewhere. If you get any further information would you please post it for other hosts?

I would love to see available a register of companies around the world that cover the short term rental market, and how their policies interact with general insurance. I have now compiled 5 companies in Australia who are involved with home hosting platforms! Obviously I can't gain any useful information about companies that might operate in this field outside of Australia.

Khuong, I have personally seen the utter devistation that is created when someone tries to run a business without the appropriate business insurance....and I will do anything I can to stop others from a similar experience!

If it is not too much trouble I would ask you to do a bit more homework and share whatever information you can obtain for the rest of the hosting community....cheers....Rob

Khuong0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4.....I've signed up to insurance with CIA insurance who do general holiday lettings insurance. I double-checked with them that AirBnB was included however I have not finished reading my policy details yet. Overall it was a similar experience to getting home insurance and the quote i received was quite competitive, surprisingly cheaper than standard Landlord insurance.

There are more companies out there but i just didn't have a chance to do research on them.

Please share if you have managed to find any other competitive rates.

For comparison mine came in at £100 for a 1 bed purpose built flat.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Khuong0 Hi again Khuong. Thank you so much for posting that. People like you, who are taking an active part in, not only protecting yourself but giving other the chance to do the same through your wisdom and research, are ultimately going to save someone from a potentially devastating experience.

I will follow CIA Insurance up, and would love it if you could post a link to them for other UK Hosts...

The premium will be cheaper than Landlord insurance because the insured risk is a lot less Khuong!! Hosting insurance only covers the situations that a 'guest' is likely to cause....it does not cover natural disasters so it is an addition to your general insurance, not a replacement for it.....cheers.....Rob  

Mary-Ellen0
Level 4
Dummerston, VT

What ever you do DON'T count on Airbnb 'host protection'.  I just had a guest ruin a large stretch of counter top due to placing a hot pan on it directly from the stove.  Here's what happened:  I reported within the required time frame.  Airbnb sent me a link to a form to fill out and requested a professiona estimate within 48 hours. (Seriously?)  

I got the estimate and forwarded on their form.  In order to submit the form I HAD TO CHECK a box stating that I agreed to let Airbnb make the final determination.  All along I kept asking when do I get to make a claim against the host insurance.....the answer:  Oh that comes after you fill out the initial reporting form blah blah blah....

In the end their 'final determination' was that the guest should pay the damage deposit of $250 and Airbnb would give me an additional $50.  I questioned in an email several times.  I was told then that I could not apply to their coverage because I had agreed to let them make the final determination.  Obviously this is fraud and I suspect they've been sued multiple times and lost many many hosts over this issue.  I will have to bear the nearly $4000 expense with no help from Airbnb despite their loud and boastful claim of 'up to 1 million in damage protection.  Yeah right!    The guest left a horrible review that is an outright lie after leaving me a message stating that 'everything was perfect and thanks for a great weekend'.  Airbnb will not take it down.

I'm pretty much done with Airbnb.....horrible review system and so many many other problems as I've sadly learned.

@Mary-Ellen0 It's really scary to see stories like yours. I am sorry about your house being damaged. As soon as I clicked on your profile, it shows the bad review and your response.  It does seem unfair that a guest can bash with a negative review you as soon as you submit a damage claim.

We also encountered the flawed airbnb host guarantee assertion which doesn't actually cover hosts. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a suitable coverage yet. Just expressing my solidarity with you for now.