Do airbnb's policies and rules override California State law?

Elle2
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Do airbnb's policies and rules override California State law?

I was told by several of airbnb's representatives and supervisors that airbnb overrides California State law.  Some supervisors said ablsolutely not.  I would like to know where it is written in airbnb's policies and rules that airbnb overrides California State law.

6 Replies 6

Hi @Elle2,

AFAIK, Airbnb Policies and rules do not override any State or Country laws on Earth. But you should rather trust a California host more on this.

What exactly did these reps/supervisors tell you?

Hi Jeet,

I am a California host and I have had 1 rep, 2 supervisors and a case manager tell me that airbnb's rules and policies override California state law.  I have a long term guest in my rental.  She has been there less than 4 months.  She has given me notice and is now backing out of her 1 year comitment which , by the way, airbnb does not uphold.  I have asked her to show her unit with the required 24 hour notice.  She is refusing to allow me to show it.  Airbnb is involved and the above airbnb empoloyees are stating that according to airbnb's policies she is not required to show it and these policies override California State law.  I spoke with 1 supervisor, Jace, who told me airbnb absolutely does not override California Law.

California law states:  landlord is allowed to enter the occupied property to show to prospective tenants with the required 24 hour notice.

Hello @Elle2,

I'm aware you are a CA and that is why I said, let's hope for a response from a CA host which would be more reliable.

However I'm more inclined to believe what Jace is true that airbnb absolutely does not override California Law.

You can quote the law and inform the guest that an Airbnb supervisor (Jace) has told you that Airbnb Terms do not override state law. And thus your are allowed to bring in prospective tenants with a 24 hours notice.

Long term rentals on Airbnb often come with such issues that is why most hosts avoid long term bookings.

Hope you this gets resolved.

Hi Jeet,

Thank you sooooo much for your information and support!  Yes, I cannot believe that so many employees of airbnb are adamant on the 'fact' that airbnb's policies and rules override California law.  It is shocking!  I am now asking my 'case manager' to provide me with info on where I can find it wiritten in airbnb's policies that airbnb overrides California State law.  I am waiting for her response. 

I actually did inform the guest and quoted California law to she and the supervisor.  I have not heard back yet from them, but, I received another phone call from another employee, the 'case manager' who is arguing with me again on this subject.