Do guests I host have to write a review?

Do guests I host have to write a review?

Hello, I have been hosting for some time now, and until now received reviews from all my guests. One recent group of guests did not write a review at all. I did write a review about them, though. I was of the understanding that as hosts and guests, as participants in Airbnb, we are required to write reviews about each other as part of the community spirit of this platform. Any comments? Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4
Christy104
Level 2
Midland, TX

I am in that situation now, it is optional not required is what I have been told.  I wrote one and they didnt write back so it will not appear until both parties write one.  They give you 14 days to write one or respond to one them its too late to write one.  I know you have to get 50% of your guest to reveiw to become a Superhost.  

@Christy104  No, a review will be posted after 14 days even if the other party fails to leave review. Otherwise they get posted earlier if both review before 14 days.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lokita0 When the guests leave after 3-4 hrs. You and the guests will be messaged to write a review. If you both write one they will post at the exact same  moment. If only one party writes one THEN at the end of 14 days that review will post. Either host or guests - whatever has been written before 14 days posts.

Yes, it would be great if everyone wrote honest fair reviews, but it doesn't always happen. 

I have a good amount of first timers and so I encourage them to write in the Guestbook on the desk - it is there they see what other more experienced guests have written and also they too can practice for a review. So far I have had about 88 guests and 75 reviews so that's really good. And over 70 written in the guest book. Also, I use quotes from reviews and the guestbook on my photos to write very positive stuff the guests have written. So I encourage hosts to have a Guestbook and also to mention to 1st timers about we also will be reviewing them - I want them to understand NOT ONLY do they review us - WE review them as well. It seems to be working so far. Happy hosting.

@Lokita0   I have had guests ask me many times to write a review for them promising me, unbidden, to write one for me and they have not.  It is a two-way street: hosts are penalized for getting less than a certain % of reviews;  if guests have no reviews it can make it harder for them to make a reservation especially with Instant Book.   Now, only when I receive a notification "guest has written a review" do I write one, unless  it was a negative experience and then I always write a review regardless to warn other hosts.  I agree with @Clara116   guests need to know it is a a two-way street and they get ratings and reviews from hosts, it may also make them more responsible, better guests.