Do guests who have cancelled still have access to your address?

Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

Do guests who have cancelled still have access to your address?

I have not been able to find any information on this. Do guests who have cancelled their reservation still have access to a host's address and exact location? They do have access to inbox communication which may contain other personal information.

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I just looked, @Christina0 . I have a cancelled reservation as a guest, and no address or phone information appears on it in Trips. Just the cancellation policy and refund amount.

However, if the guest kept the email they received from Airbnb, your address and phone number appear there. Or they might have written it down. I always do. 

And yes, the inbox communication remains. So they still have access to anything you told them in the messaging. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Yes, if you have the emails from ABB sent to your personal email. I have an email record of all of my trip details in my inbox archive. You can opt not to share your address with guests until your check in instructions are sent out. 

Hi, how can we opt to not share our address with guests until check in instructions are sent out? I have checked the button under the Location Section to not share our address until after the Free Cancellation Period which in our case is 48 hours as our cancellations are set at Strict. The reason I am asking is because a guest just cancelled after the Free Cancellation period so I was wondering if they still have our civic address??

Also, does Airbnb provide the guest the street name only not inclusive of the civic address? Kindly advise. Thank you!

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Christina0   

Hi Christina.  The commission rules were change so now we hosts are charged 15% for each booking.  Previously, a guest could cancel and get the service charges refunded up to a maximum of three times  (per year ?), Under the new rules, I am not sure. It's something I need to find out otherwise the scammers could have a field day by booking hundreds of times.

Can somebody advise me, please. ?

@Anthony223  This seems like a somewhat different topic from what Christina was asking, but are you under the impression that a host will be charged 15% on bookings after they were canceled by the guest?

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Anonymous  Hi Andrew.  I hadn't  given it much thought because we haven't been accepting guests for the past year.  I now have a strict cancellation policy just in case.  I doubt if AirBNB would do that to us.

Back to Christina's question.  I hope that guests can't book and cancel an indefinite number of times and get the addresses of everybody.

@Anthony223    go to:  Dashboard > Listings > Listing Details > Location

Under the Listings editor, there is a setting you can activate: 

Share address after the free cancellation period
Checking this box means guests won’t see your address, last name, or phone number while they’re able to cancel for free. After the free cancellation window, we’ll send guests this information.

So you won't have people just making fake bookings just to get your address. But there is no charge to the host when a guest cancels, I don't see where you're getting that.

Thank you for the information Andrew. I have the button selected now, so hopefully that will help. I was just concerned how much personal information is supplied to canceled guests.

@Christina0 Your phone number is provided to every confirmed reservation. And there's no button to click on to prevent that, like with the exact address.