Do hosts supply breakfast cereals?

Answered!
Joy362
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

Do hosts supply breakfast cereals?

I supply all condiments , tea, coffee, sugar, milk, biscuits, sauces, soup so that if they are late there is something there for them, washing tabs and conditioner, all bathroom requirements.

Do I need to supply cereal? 

1 Best Answer
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Joy362 

I really enjoy cooking and hosting and do advertise breakfast.  I promise home made organic granola, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea and condiments, so folks know they can have a relaxed morning enjoying the cottage and beautiful grounds without having to leave for breakfast unless they wish to.

I also provide maps of local groceries fish markets, and farmers markets in my house manual if they want to cook in and enjoy some of our famous fresh local catch.

Making your own granola is simple, inexpensive, you can change it up based on ingredients you have, i make it gluten free, and it only takes 30 minutes from start to aromatic and toasty cinnamon finish. I present mine in an old fashioned mason jar on the counter next to the jar of fresh ground organic Sumatra, and French press and drip coffee makers.

If theyโ€™re staying 2 or more nights, I add fresh eggs, some good bread, jelly, and if Iโ€™m in the mood and have time I might create a home made fresh baked quiche, muffins, or pastry.

Condiments, butter, cooking oil, and basic spices are givens as well, and I do inquire about dietary preferences in advance, appreciating food sensitivities myself and wanting everyone to feel loved and cared for.

Anything beyond whatโ€™s promised is a surprise I enjoy providing and my guests are equally inspired. 

I concur with the others; do it if you feel moved to, but if itโ€™s not in your listing itโ€™s an unexpected bonus ๐Ÿ’–

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46

@Sarah977 yea, that's me, massive dose of nicotine, massive dose of caffeine, and I'm good to go till I need to refue when my system is ready for foodl.  Both seem  frowned upon these days ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Kevin1322 @Sarah977   hehe, I'm in coffee & cigarettes breakfast group too ๐Ÿ™‚ I can't stand the smell of food in the morning, or chew, or cook, or jump in the shower directly from bed.. no no. I need my zen hour first and then I can face the world

Mrs Kev is right! Get her chickens!

You can buy them an Eglu and name it "Peckingham Palace".

๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ’–

It's no Yolking matter โ€ฆ. I hear that bantams live up trees, I just have to plant a slow growing tree to delay the inevitable.....

@Kevin1322 

you crack me up!

๐Ÿ˜†

Eggsactly ๐Ÿ˜‰

Scott424
Level 4
Deception Bay, Australia

Use clips to keep things freshUse clips to keep things freshI'm assuming you provide breakfast @Joy362 since you ask about cereals.

For every price point I recommend providing breakfast.. and a range of choices. Leave your options open and don't provide pictures or define what will be there.

The goal is guest experience, generosity, variety and a chance to try something new, feedback gold if unexpected. Try suit as many tastes as you can sweet, healthy, options for all. I try for a large range of cereals and provide milk, bread, 2 or 3 jams, peanut butter, hazelnut spread, and butter. A variety of teas, instant and plunger coffee, I'll stop my kitchen list there since we're talking about breakfast.

Half price and clearance specials should be your habit while shopping, it's amazing what great cool cereals I have in the my spaces with triple the per diem of the pictured shack setup.

Penny123
Level 2
Forbesdale, Australia

Penny123

I advertise that we are an "Old fashioned" BnB that definitely provide the makings of a continental breakfast.

I supply three kinds of cereal plus packets of instant porridge along with normal variety of black, green and fruit teas. There are also packets instant hot chocolate for the kids and bigger kids! Coffee lovers can choose from the plunger, Nespresso machine, and those not quite so discerning, instant granules.

In the fridge, I have individual plastic containers of peanut butter, strawberry jam, Seville orange Marmelade and the inevitable Ozzie Vegemite. Bread and butter, milk, Greek yogurt for the Granola, orange juice in individual containers and a bottle of chilled tap water. A little sweet treat is a small bar of Toblerone per person. The plastic containers with the spreads get refilled daily as does the butter and water, plus juice replaced.

On the breakfast table, I leave a bowl of fruit mainly what is on special, but always bananas.

Seems a lot I know, but we have some very happy guests, which makes me happy!

I do try and tailor the breakfast menu according to the guest tastes - soon I will hosting a family of vegans, so it will be soy milk, bread with no animal product, Nuttlex spread and a nut yogurt. Black and Green organic dark chocolate will be their sweet treat. Thank goodness I don't have such particular guests too often!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Joy362 @Penny123 @Sarah977 @Scott424 @Drew140 @Andrea-and-Francis0 @Kath9

@Kevin1322 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ana1136 @Emily487 

ABB is Air Bed and breakfast, isn't it?

Whilst I myself tend to be a fresh fruit for breakfast person I do provide a reasonable selection of food including a wide selection of cereals, eat your heart out NZ has the best Weet bix!

A tip some of you may not be aware of, and I'd expect the same thing happens worldwide, look out for items on Clearance at the Supermarket as often one can pick up more expensive better varieties that may not be selling so well & are around the same price as more common cereals, always a nice treat for oneself & guests.

We have had some great Australian brand cereals that I would not normally buy that have been nice to try.

It's quite incredible how the small brand cereals have popped up in little ole New Zealand, so many to choose from however at $10 a pop for a packet they are not in my budget!

Out of interest, what are the prices for cereal in your countries?

In New Zealand, Our prices vary from around $2 for cornflakes/ ricebubbles, between $3-$7 for porridge/ oats, $5 baseline for standard museli thought to organic boutique cereals which can range up to around $20 a packet.

@Helen427  "ABB is Air Bed and breakfast, isn't it?"

No, it isn't. It's just a clever name they came up with. We're no more obligated nor expected to provide breakfast than we are obligated to bed our guests down on air mattresses.

Scott424
Level 4
Deception Bay, Australia

@Helen427 wrote:

Out of interest, what are the prices for cereal in your countries?

In New Zealand, Our prices vary from around $2 for cornflakes/ ricebubbles, between $3-$7 for porridge/ oats, $5 baseline for standard museli thought to organic boutique cereals which can range up to around $20 a packet.

There are some amazing new cereals with great looking looking boxes ^^ so hunt those specials, use unit pricing and buy anything below $0.70 PER 100 Grams. You're not shopping for your own taste, you shop to suit every guests taste ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, we need to take care of our guest taste. But at the same time, different cereals are available with different price. One also need to take care of prices.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Weet bix range in New ZealandWeet bix range in New ZealandHere's a sample of how many different types of Weetbix we have here at my local supermarket to choose from

@Stephanie @Cathie19 @Drew140 @Joy362 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Kevin1322 

Same here @Helen427!