Do i have to click the pre-approve/decline button for an inquiry?

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Do i have to click the pre-approve/decline button for an inquiry?

I'm not on IB, but the regular "old" booking system. In contrast to a booking request (decline or approve within 24 hours)  I thought that an inquiry just needed to be answered to in a timely manner in order to be  recognized by Airbnb as a valid response, but I now see that after I send off my reply message, the red pre-approve/decline button remains highlighted in red under the inquiry in my inbox, as if I still needed to do something about it, possibly meaning that I can't just answer the inquiry with a return message, but that I also must choose between either preapproving or declining. Is that correct?  I'm afraid that if  I don't activate the button, my answer will not be sufficient enough to be counted as response in Airbnb's system. 

30 Replies 30
John1159
Level 2
Helena-West Helena, AR

F170DB2B-8F3C-4E2D-9A3E-D1FD5DB69E44.png

[Inappropriate Content hidden]

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I never see this message, it must be because most of the reservation stuff is done on a desktop, not using the mobile app.  I just see the inquiry message and an option to pre approve or decline, but it is never position as an either/or choice.

Yeah, I noticed the same--there's nothing red on the desktop site, but when I opened the mobile app, it highlighted the "Accept or Decline" thing in the inbox in red, which gave me pause and had me Google for this thread.

On desktop, it does say this in the recently-redesigned message screen:

"Respond to the next inquiry within 24 hours to maintain your response rate."

Sounds like a response to the guest is sufficient, but it would be nice to know for sure. (They messaged me for a discount; they don't qualify to IB, but I don't want to outright decline them just yet, as their behavior hasn't crossed any line where I wouldn't deny them a stay.)

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Chris773 all you have to do is reply to the message, if the 24hr clock is still counting down, refresh your screen and it'll disappear.

Click the link for more information

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2410/what-can-i-do-when-i-get-a-booking-inquiry

Glad to see the official word straight from the horse's mouth! Thanks for the link.

Natasha275
Level 2
Caldicot, United Kingdom

So if I’ve just returned a message query, does this mean that the guest won’t see it ?  I haven’t preapproved or declined,  I keep getting reminders  to reply but I have responded to the query!! Very confusing 🙄

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Natasha275 was it an inquiry or a request? Anyway, the guest will see your response but if it was a request you do need to approve or decline. 

Natasha275
Level 2
Caldicot, United Kingdom

Just an enquiry! Thank u Ana! 😊

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Natasha275 

Remember, I am talking about messages here, not a reservation request!

The system of course wants you to either pre-approve or decline a message, but you in fact don't have to do either! The guest has put in dates to able to send a message to you but, you can simply ignore the pre-approve/decline bar and answer their question....the message stream between you and the 'guest' has been opened.

The system will keep on telling you to pre-approve/decline but, if your message back to the enquirer results in a booking then, that will over-ride the need to do either. If it doesn't and you don't hear back after 24 hours you can dismiss the enquiry from your messages.

I hope that helps you Natasha.

Cheers.....Rob

Natasha275
Level 2
Caldicot, United Kingdom

Thank you so much Rob 😊 

Telissa0
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Hello new to air bnb... I was sent a message and the inquirer was confused asking configurations  on  bedrooms rather.. the enquirer did not list the name of the listing or show dates they were inquiring about...however said if I can sleep 5 adults and 2 kids 

I have 3 cottages so 3 seperate listings..

I clarified I have 3 listings so in order to host 5 adults and two children they would have to book 2 cottages not 1 ... they did not reply please tell me do I have to wait for a response or press accept booking or decline ? 

All you have to do is reply to satisfy the respond requirement. If they are a good fit, I will go ahead and pre-approve, but I never decline. 

This link has more info. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2410/what-can-i-do-when-i-get-a-booking-inquiry

Shannon107
Level 2
New York, United States

I really want airbnb to REMOVE the "pre-approve or decline" thing. People are reaching out asking questions and in my experience, the questions are all about breaking my rules.

i do not want to pre-approve or decline them when they ask questions. 

I want to simply answer their questions. Considering the types of questions too, it would be premature for me to approve or decline them. They are making unclear if they can adhere to basic house rules when they reach out (like check in and out times).

Please remove this ridiculous feature that burdens hosts.

I completely agree. I have on IB, so most questions come when they are hoping to break the rules, such as how many guests are “really” allowed,  or even though the calendar says it is booked, is it “really” booked, when they want to come.  IMO, They can book or not book. All we need to do is answer the question, not approve or decline when we really don’t know if they are planning to break the rules or not. 

@Shannon107  It is ridiculous, as they are just asking questions on an inquiry. But it doesn't "burden hosts"- if you had read through the other posts on this thread, you would realize that you do not have to click on either one of those options- just messaging back is sufficient. You can safely ignore the prodding messages from Airbnb to pre-approve.