Do you adjust your listing or hosting style as the seasons change?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you adjust your listing or hosting style as the seasons change?

Liv_0-1632234927373.png

Hi everyone, 

As Autumn arrives in some parts of the world, a recent Airbnb trend report shows that guests are interested in longer stays, picturesque destinations and natural scenery. 

In this month’s Spotlight, Host Advisory Board members Ningyi Wang, Till Zieger and Sam Reed gave us their input on how Hosts can adjust their listing and hosting style for seasonal changes—and there are plenty of options, from adjusting your pricing to providing guests with practical info around big seasonal events. 

What do you think? Do you change your listing or hosting style when the seasons shift? 

Thanks,

Liv

5 Replies 5
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi everyone! I’m excited to have gotten the opportunity to share strategies with you for hosting during seasonal fluctuations. I hope you’ll find this information useful as you continue along on your hosting journeys. 

You may have seen me around in the Community Center, but if not, I wanted to briefly introduce myself: My wife Jutta and I became Airbnb hosts in Germany in 2010 — we are some of the dinosaurs here on Airbnb! We started hosting a private room in our apartment when our daughters moved out, and we still get so much joy out of meeting new people from all over the world (even when we’ve had to keep a bit more distance from our guests due to COVID-19).

Our experience is that guests currently book at very short notice. So don't worry if your booking calendar for October and November still has many gaps: travelers are currently not making long-term decisions due to the constantly changing general conditions. So as a host, I've gotten into the habit of staying flexible - but I've still set a two-day advance notification in the calendar.

Besides the Cannstatter Volksfest - which is unfortunately canceled this year because of the pandemic - the autumn season in Stuttgart is characterized by chestnuts. School children shuffle through the fallen colored leaves to look for them and make nice things. The chestnut alley at Solitude Castle is especially popular with families. And when the snow falls, it's a great place to go sledding.

Thank you!

Till

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Till-and-Jutta0 I changed the styling of my room. In summer i have mainly linnen and now i have more wool items like handmade wool throws. And i put on the wood stove before arrival when it is colder. So when guests come in feels and looks cozy.

Groetjes Katja
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Katja202 Autumn styling is great! @Jutta7 is doing that, combining dried leaves and fruit, with Edelweiss from our garden:

2021-09-25 11.04.09.jpg

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Till-and-Jutta0  Ohhhhh that looks fantastic. Hmmm .... still no smell on internet, they really have to do something about that LOL. I want to put my nose in it en smell 🙂

Groetjes Katja
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Liv seasonal changes by the beach really is based on our temperature on the day. As to what clothing to wear.

The changes I make are really related to our long weekends and holidays with decorations, flowers and food  seasonal fruits and small gifts for the children for Christmas  Easter, Anzac day and school holidays.

We have reverse cycle air conditioning and I turn it on if hot and if cool prior to guests arrival to welcome them. 

My garden is always changing with seasonal flowers and the guests share.

As @Katja202 mentions your photos @Till-and-Jutta0 look good as Katja says it is unfortunate that we can't smell the flowers over the internet.