Do you all give a key?

Answered!

Do you all give a key?

Hi,

I'm about to host my first guest this evening. It occurs to me only now that many people expect to have a key, but I'm really not comfortable giving a key to guests at all. This is my home and I'm certain giving out keys to people will invalidate my insurance policy, not to mention makes me very uncomfortable.

I work from home so will be here most of the time and can ensure I'm here after a certain time, say 5pm to let guests come back.

So my question is, is it standard and expected to provide keys to guests?

I'd like to hear from people who are letting a room in their own home, not places dedicated to renting.

Thanks,

Simon

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Simon2362, I am in a similar situation to you - my listing is a room in my home and I  also work from home so I am here most of the time. Most of my guests are 1-nighters, so, if it is feasible, I don't give them a key, especially if they are arriving late and leaving early (which is often the case). I don't lock my front door until I go to bed (which is normally pretty late) so it's open for people to get in when they come back in the evening. I do give a key to people staying 2 or more nights or if I'm going to be out.

However, I don't really like giving out my key, especially now that there are so many more scams than there used to be. People can and have lost it or accidentally taken it with them, and there is always the concern that they could get a copy cut and let themselves in at a later date. Therefore, recently, I have been looking at getting a keyless lock with a keypad for which I can change the code in between guests. The one I'm looking at can also be done remotely if I am away. If you're concerned about the key, I would recommend looking into this.

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

@Helen350 I received my first guest last night.. well this morning. He arrived at 2.50am. He first said 11pm, then 1am then nothing. Not a great start to hosting, but he seems like a nice person in general.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Simon2362 Bad  luck, not a great start on the arrival... Of course you CAN refuse entry to someone who has arrived outside your check in times..... But many of us do let them in anyway, wanting to be nice & accommodating.. or not wanting a bad review from them!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm glad you are comfortable with your rules, @Simon2362, but many would-be guests won't be. Ultimately it's your choice, and only you can decide what works/doesn't in your home. As for the 'very low charge', most of us have learnt cheap rates = cheap guests. Perhaps things are different down there. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Gordon0 I disagree with the 'low rates = cheap guests' adage.  (Seems to be so in USA/Australia, but not the Lake District!) - I charge low rates, £20 for one/£30 for two, and a) I am booked when most of my rivals are not. b) I get good guests, whose values just want cheap & cheerful, outdoorsy folk; I get the sort who would be in Youth Hostels if Airbnb didn't exist.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think you're right in terms of specific areas (like the Lake District) because they attract a wholly different guest, @Helen350. Less 'special' areas might not enjoy the same patronage. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Helen350 lol same here, sure a couple of hairdryers, maybe a cheap desktop, or adventurous thieves might make off with a flat-screen or oven, really motivated ones might take the washing machine or fridge. Nothing I'm worried about happening. That said I do find my toilet paper supply being depleted quite quickly, wonder if there's a black market in the bog roll biz. Hahahahaha 

I thought the same about my tool box, just decades old dirty car tools and super frickin' heavy to run off with, nobody will bother taking them. Then when you price up replacements it was £300 and a broken sense of trust in my neighbourhood.

Add up the cost to you (not just monetary) of buying a new dishwasher, washing machine, TV, computer, sofa ('cos thieves going to piss on it) damage to the wall where the TV was ripped off  and the door frames where the washing machine was bashed through, and the effort to replace all the cards in your wallet and the door locks. It's very easy to underestimate the value of your belongings.

By the way, I realise this doesn't change the fact a lot of people expect a key. I'm just expressing my view.

Helen350
Level 10

@Simon2362 The airbnb community is not like this...... at least not in the UK! I've hosted over 300 bookings & most have been respectful, grateful, charming, undemanding,  & keen to be good guests (Remember WE get to review THEM!)

I've often observed on this forum, that the horror stories we hear tend to be of American guests in America! I.M.O. British guests, & foreigners who venture to the UK are good guests. The worst I've had to deal with is the very occasional guest being critical.. - of the shared bathroom, or the presence of other guests, or the lack of a lock on the bedroom door, or the one occasion when the Wifi was below expectation, or occasional cleanliness freaks equating old with dirty.

@Helen350 Absolutely, I don't imagine the vast majority of guests would be anything but very kind people.

@Helen427 

I've just discovered that my Sky TV box has been robbed (yeah, I know.. just "why??" 😉) Sadly, the only possible culprits could have been UK guests. (To be fair though, my British visitors are usually fab!)

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Simon2362   It seems like you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  I doubt very much you can enforce a curfew on adults who are paying for a room.  What will end up happening is that people will not read any of these details of no key, a curfew, and then when they arrive, they will be disgruntled.  I really think you should consider whether airbnb is something that fits your personal style.  And I  have to agree with @Gordon0  I would never rent a place where I wasn't given a key and was going to  have to depend on coordinating with the host, let alone a place where the host presumes to tell me what time I have to be back in the house.  But, good luck.

@Mark116 You might be right that AirBNB hosting is not for me,  but I'll give it a go my way and see how it goes. Thankfully I'm not dependent on the income.

The feeling I get from your message is one of "I'm paying, so I get what I want". Is that how you feel when being a guest?

@Simon2362   I feel like being able to come and go quietly without having to arrange things with a host or be stressed about said arrangements or having to interact with the host every single time I come back to the house or being fearful lest I 'miss curfew' like I was 15 is a baseline expectation of renting a room.  

Helen350
Level 10

@Mark116  (& @Simon2362 ) I disagree on your curfew thoughts. Whilst I personally try to be accommodating to all my guests, I believe it IS  reasonable to set curfews. It's  part of being a good 'fit'. Time was, when airbnb hosts  considered whether guests would be a 'good fit' before Instant Book.... It is appropriate for guests to be respectful of both hosts & fellow guests, & not to wake others when coming in late. Most of my guests who've been out late ASK for permission - certainly I would, if ever I were a guest. I think @Simon2362 is right in his analysis above, that hosts can set expectations & expect certain norms IN THEIR  OWN HOUSES.

@Helen350 @Mark116 I do detect a difference in point of view from hosts in different locations.

I am surprised that NY hosts seem to be very willing to provide keys. Is NY a very trusting place? I think the UK perception of NY (city) might be one that fears crime and thefore people keep to themselves.