Do you allow film and photo shoots in your listing?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do you allow film and photo shoots in your listing?

article-0-12915AA1000005DC-111_634x631_popup.jpg

I have a bit of experience with this but was just wondering what other hosts' perspectives were on the subject.

I've always had photo shoots at my home because I'm a magazine editor so have lots of industry contacts, plus the house has been listed with a location agency.

However, since I started hosting, I've also received quite a lot of requests for this via Airbnb. Most of these are not from professional photographers, but students, amateur photographers, people launching a new brand/product etc. who can't afford agency rates and are therefore trying Airbnb instead. I say no to the majority as they seem to expect to hire the place for the room rate (and some even expect to stay in the room to boot), not realising that I am in the industry and know full well what a shoot involves and what the going rates are! 

Still, if they are willing to pay a reasonable rate (much lower than agency fees, but higher than Airbnb rates) and willing to stick to any conditions I specify, then it is a good way to make some extra cash. I've only had one bad experience with this, which was with some film students (NEVER AGAIN), but otherwise it has worked out well. You get more than the room rate and they don't get to stay the night. There is cleaning involved but usually no laundry.

Often, they are just using Airbnb as a way to make contact and want to book direct, which I am not keen on. I don't want to be delisted for breaking Airbnb policy just to save someone a few pounds.

Another idea is to barter with a photographer who also has experience of shooting locations. I'd be willing to let them shoot here for a greatly reduced rate in exchange for a few interior shots of the house. I haven't tried this yet as it's difficult to exchange websites etc. on the message system prior to booking, and I'd need to be sure they know what they are doing as shooting locations is not the same as shooting fashion, product etc.

Has anyone else tried this and what has been your experience? I wonder what Airbnb would think about adding a category for photo shoot locations?

56 Replies 56

I too am interested in a place on Airbnb where we can offer this type of thing, but being a farmer and not a Photographer or Videographer, I don't have any first hand experience in how to price such a thing.  Several times, I have been approached for this, and once, the guest did not disclose his intent to film a low budget rap video at my campground which caused other guests to be inconvenienced, and subsequent bad reviews. 

Once a documentary was filmed, and they too booked without asking, but later once I found out what was planned they offered a site fee. Again, it happens often enough that I feel like I may want to address it in my listing descriptions but have not, yet

That aside, now that I know that it is usually a lot of equipment, lots of people, multiple vehicles etc,  what would be reasonable rates recommended?  Assuming, like you discussed, we are dealing with students and small groups of photgraphers etc? 

I would also like to branch out into photography sessions for weddings, graduation photos, baby,  engagement etc, but again, what is reasonable when you can go to any public building and get as much free time as you like....

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Janna40 

It's really impossible to say without knowing your local market and what going rates are there for shoot locations, but certainly, film/video crews should pay substantially more than smaller crews shooting stills. I usually try to find out more information before quoting a price, including:

- How many hours

- How many people

- Which areas will be used

- What the images/footage will be used for

I then charge around half of what an agency would based on the above information and make it very clear that they need to stick to the hours/areas.

When you have other guests staying, you do need to think about the inconvenience to them and what is and isn't acceptable to paying guests. I should think filming a music video is a no, no, unless the guests are out while that is happening, but those videos usually take forever to film, so that's unlikely.

I always ask my guests first if it is okay or, if the shoot is booked before the guests book, let them know about it as soon as they book. Usually they are going to be out anyway and they don't have a problem with it, but I keep them informed of when the crew will be arriving/leaving and which areas they will be using.

People booking via Airbnb and then filming/shooting without your permission is absolutely not okay. I would report anyone who did that to Airbnb.

As for weddings/celebration photos etc. I don't know how it works in Phoenix, but here in London, you cannot take professional photos in public buildings without permisson. Even on many streets, in public parks etc. you need a permit for that, but of course, people do just try to do it sneakily anyway. Your best bet is to do some research on venues similar to yours that are hiring their locations for that and see what they are charging.

Thank you so much! Very helpful information!  And if Airbnb wants to start a category for it, I am all in!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

What an incredibly interesting discussion @Huma0 ! I'm not so artistic but can definately see this potential market for Hosts. When I was younger, a wedded couple random turned up outside my family home, took some snaps infront of the climbing roses and drove off. All without saying a word! 

Out of curiosity, is there any rights of usage for the pictures they snap of your property? Your listing is your IP afterall 😉

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

I've also found people in my front garden taking photos., but never a bride and groom! Sometimes they apologise and tell me they just think my garden is really cute, othertimes they look startled to be caught in the act and run away. One lady, who I found crouching in the flowerbeds simply said, "Don't mind me. I've been taking photos of your garden for years," and just carried on!

As for rights, it does vary. Typically, the photographer owns the copyright, unless he/she has sold those rights to the company that has hired him/her. There's usually a contract between client and photographer and, if nothing has been agreed, the photographer automatically owns the pictures. The location/home owner has no rights to the images at all.

That is why it's important to find out what the images will be used for and to charge accordingly. It would be difficult to keep track of them afterwards though, but it doesn't hurt to have it in writing in case you find out that they are being used for some other purpose.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So, this week, I had another person contact me about doing a photo shoot here for commercial purposes (launch of a brand). I told her straight away that it would not be for the airbnb price. After a lot of back and forth to find out her requirements, I quoted her a price which I think was fair and which she said she was happy with. 

She then tried to send me her contact details and asked to pay direct. I explained to her why this was not possible and that, even with the Airbnb fees added, she was getting the place for a fraction (a third or less) of what a location agency would charge. I said I'd send her a special offer so she could clearly see what the fees were. She agreed to the price and said she would book it the next day.

The offer expired. So, I sent another. That also expired and she has gone silent.

Okay fine, the dates weren't blocked because of the offer so it's not like I lost other bookings, but there was a lot of correspondence with this guest who seemed 100% positive that she was going to book, including answering detailed questions about lighting conditions in each room. I do feel like it was a massive waste of time. Perhaps next time, I will incude a minimum price for shoots in my initial message to avoid timewasters like these.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I had a  major Australian TV channel contact me to shoot part of a crime show in my front apartment.  They were planning to shoot for 2 days and offered to book for 4 days.  As my adjoining apartment was empty and i was in there cleaning, i offered them one of the bedrooms for their wardrobe preparation.  I found it interesting as i could watch through the adjoining door.  No real hassles, the actors attempted to use other rooms as well in the adjoining apartment but i moved them out as i needed to clean.

I forgot .... I did get queries from my neighbours why police (actors) were at my house.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Wendy117 

That's funny that your neighbours thought they were real police!

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but I'll be honest with you, I would never let a major TV channel film in my place for two days for the price of four nights on Airbnb, especially if they were using a room in the other apartment. They got your place dirt cheap and I am sure they know it. That didn't stop them from trying to film in other areas too.

Sorry, I don't mean to be cyncial and, if you were happy with the arrangement and all went well, I suppose it really doesn't matter, but, the location agency I was with would charge top dollar to a major TV channel (price on applicaton. i.e. MORE than the highest price shown below).

To give you an idea of costs (bear in mind this is for London and for a house, so will be a lot more),  here is the rate card the agency sent me for filming (they take a 20% cut from this):

FILMING SHOOTS

Interviews                                                                  £500 - £800

Online                                                                        £1000 - £1500

TV Commercial                                                        £1800 - £2500

Idents                                                                         £1200 - £1500

Music Video                                                             £1800 - £2500

Movie / Drama / Series                                           £ P.O.A

Wow!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Wendy117 

Yes, I know, and these rates are for ONE day, during the week, 9-6pm only. Any hours after that, or weekends, are charged double time!

Of course, you're genearlly not going to get the same rates via Airbnb because, as I and other hosts mentioned, the people usually requesting via Airbnb are amateurs or on a tiny budget, so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up here! However, a major TV channel is used to paying the going rates and will be very well aware that they are getting a massive bargain.

@Huma0  your right of course, but also right that i was happy with the arrangement (due to ignorance) so i will remain positive about the experience.  They did not stay overnight, or cook, or use the laundry, and they managed to complete the shoot in one day. I was also lucky enough to fill two of those days via another platform.  BUT i will definitely keep this in mind -  although i am not sure why anyone else would want to shoot in my humble home as it is not so special.  These guys were looking for a typical 1900 workers cottage. Thanks for that information - very enlightening.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Wendy117 

Well, as I mentioned above, film/tv crews are often looking for something more 'ordinary', not just glamorous locations. Think about all the TV dramas you watch and how many normal looking homes are featured.

Absolutely, if you were happy with the arrangment, then great. They paid for four nights and were only there for one day, plus you got to book the other days out anyway. If they did not break stuff and create endless cleaning for you, then it's win win. One thing to consider though is that film/TV crews can use an extraordinary amount of electricity, what with their lighting and everything else, but sometimes they bring generators for all of that.

So, with rentals via Airbnb, I would never charge the agency rates or close to them. I don't charge the room rates either. It is something inbetween, depending on what areas they will be using, for how many hours, how many people will be here and also what they are going to use the shots/film for. Everone has to personally decide what amount of £s or $s makes it worth their while.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Wendy117 

When's it airring? Might make a cool addition to your listing, "as featured in the hit crime drama..." 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  yes, i had thought so too.  Two years ago now.  But the crew did not know and when i searched for the name of the show they gave me (cant remember now) i only found an American show.  So not a well known TV show.