Do you allow guests to use your fireplace?

Answered!
Richard1
Level 7
Lenox, MA

Do you allow guests to use your fireplace?

I have a wood burning fireplace in my rental apartment and since I started hosting in 2014 I have not allowed guests to use it.  As the colder tempeartures arrive I am considering converting it to an ethanol buring fireplace. The apartment is a great little getaway for couples and the fireplace would be a nice romatic touch.  

My last guest was a little disappointed when I informed her that she could not use the fireplace.  The ethanol fireplace does not require a chimney and there would no risk of flying embers, but then ... it is fire.  

So what are your thoughts: should I update the space with the romance of dancing flames or play it safe and deny use of the fireplace?

1 Best Answer
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I would either allow them to use it, or I would remove/disable it completely. 

When hosting, the fewer times you have to tell a guest they can't do something, the better it is. 

So provide instructions by all means, but if you still think it's too risky then get it removed, boarded up, etc.  Also because sooner or later someone will manage to misunderstand or forget what you said and use the thing anyway.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

I had a wood burning stove once and know they burn really hot. I would allow my guest to use it if they have had experiences using fireplaces before.
New-Dawn0
Level 1
New Rochelle, NY

Hello Richard,

I am interested in this conversation because we have a large historic property with many non-working fireplaces.  They were originally gas but the chimneys were cemented closed many many years ago.  We have also had inquries about the fireplace but so far have not considered it due to the risks.

Where can I find more information about the ethanol fireplace?

Thanks,

Nancy from the New Dawn Foundation

Nancy,  Just do a Google serach on ethanol fireplace and you get lots of info.  Or try Amazon. To convert a wood burning fireplace to ethanol you just remove the wood grate and seal off the chimeny (or close the flue).  To convert a natural gas fireplace you would have to remove the gas line from the fire box and close the flue.  The ethanol fireplaces work better with the chimney flue closed as this will divert the heat back into the room. 

The ethanol is very clean burning and places very few hydrocabons into the air.  The companies that make them state that there is no smell, but some of the reviews state there is some odor.  Since the flame is consuming oxygen and emitting some contaminants back into the air it is recommend that a window be opened slightly when in use.  

From my analysis I believe the greatest risk of this type of fireplace would be during the transfer of the fuel to the reservoir. This process typically requires the use of a funnel and the 1 quart - 1 gallon size fuel bottle. Fuel should never be added when the flame is present or the container still hot.  Perhaps I will require the guest to contact me if the reservoir requires refilling.  The runtime after refilling of a typical fireplace is 2-4 hours (depends on the size of the reservoir). 

At $20 per gallon I would prefer that my guest not operate the fireplace all day.  Perhaps I can offer this as a paid amenity.

@Richard1 Yes we prepare the fire for our guests. If we know their arrival time it is already lit for them. We also light it for when they come in for breakfast. If they go out for the day, we either keep it going or prepare it for when they return. It is a Jotul woodburner so a basket of logs is in their room.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Excellent question Richard.  I also have the same dilemma. I have a wood burning fireplace, but I don't allow guests to use it because I'm afraid they'll start a fire they can't control and worse, make a mess!  I'm going to investigate converting it into a gas fireplace, but I don't know if that's even possible.  I tell guests that my insurance company doesn't allow them to make a fire.  I know they are disappointed. Almost wish it wasn't there!

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree with you Clare far too risky, I was in a pub last week having dinner and the realistic gas fire was lit, some idiot thought it was logs and started a massive fire  by throwing newspaper on it that could have burnt the place down when people are in strange towns they do crazy things that they would not do at home.

@Sara2 Oh my!  Must have been a pretty realistic fireplace....but that's exactly why I don't allow guests to use my fireplace.  

Sue714
Level 5
Angaston, Australia

@Sara2 agree some people do crazy things, our last guest obviously wanted to have a romantic night, he to lit  our battery operated candles.

Hi Clare!

I have converted gas fireplaces and a gas fire pit. They are clean, easy and most guests love them.

Your gas bill will be large, so you might want to google what others’ gas bills average out to be.

Most of of the time, I have one fireplace already lit before they arrive, and it’s certainly a delighter.

A few guest get a little annoyed because they want a real wood log fire, but there’s one thing I’ve learned in these last nine months, and that is, as much as I love my guests, they are not all created equal...and I have to prepare as though  people are going to do stupid things. 

Hey @Kelly652! Thanks for your input.  Actually now I am considering an electric fireplace.  Would hate to have some kind of malfunction and have carbon monoxide poisoning.  And, guests can't screw things up!

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I would either allow them to use it, or I would remove/disable it completely. 

When hosting, the fewer times you have to tell a guest they can't do something, the better it is. 

So provide instructions by all means, but if you still think it's too risky then get it removed, boarded up, etc.  Also because sooner or later someone will manage to misunderstand or forget what you said and use the thing anyway.

Anne11
Level 2
Portland, OR

I have a woodstove. I do NOT have a picture in my listing nor do I have it checked as an amenity. I don't want the liability, the mess or the headache of providing wood.
Kathleen117
Level 1
New York, NY

I have been allowing guests to use my fireplace for the past year, but I'm considering changing that policy and telling guests that it is not a working fireplace. The people who typically rent my house come from NYC and I'm sure most don't have a lot of experience using a fireplace or know anything about fire safety. I also really worry about people drinking too much and falling asleep with the fire going. Guests have done that in the past with candles, and it is scary! I can tell they just don't care for your space with the same level of concern that they'd have with their own space. For instance, the hearth has become so much blacker since I started renting the house because there have been guests who have made huge fires, and huge fires can easily get out of control. I'd love to hear more opinions on this topic. 

Kathleen,

Since I have converted my fireplace to a biofuel (ethanol) I have had perhaps 6 people request it using.  I have had multiple people ask about the availability of the fireplace prior to booking and I believe having it helps secure the reservations.  I purchase the fuel for approximately $5/quart and I charge the guest $7.  I prefer to prepare the fireplace prior to their arrival to avoid them spilling the fuel. It is a little more work for me but helps maintain my 5 star rating.