Do you allow guests to use your washing machine/dryer?

Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Do you allow guests to use your washing machine/dryer?

We have only been hosting for a couple of months and nearly half our visitors are young chinese students who are always polite and quiet.  However, we have had one or two incidents where they have used our washing machine (and washing powder etc) without asking and expected to use the dryer too.  We never use our dryer in the summer - too expensive - but I'm just wondering what other hosts think of this.  

I feel that my husband and I are good hosts and our reviews are testament to that, but I personally wouldn't dream of going to stay in a B and B, or guest house and expect to use the washing machine and certainly not without asking.  We currently have some guests staying who want to cook in our kitchen!  Is it just me or are hosts expected to extend more than a bedroom and a bathroom to their guests?  We receive £48 per night (guests pay £50) and for that our guests have a good sized room with king sized bed, large TV with DVDs, teas, coffees, biscuits, continental breakfast, free WiFi, brochures/info for the area, magazines, tissues etc, their own shower room with shampoos/conditioner,  shower gels, towels etc. in a Grade 2 Georgian house, a short walk from the sea, the station and the town -  I actually don't know where else you'd get all that for the money!

36 Replies 36
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do it for cyclists but do not mention any of that in my AirBnB listing. I do not allow kitchen access, I have a microwave they can use out front.

I have been know to cook breakfast for cyclists.

David
Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Thanks for commenting - if your guests were to ask you if they could use washing machine etc, do you just say no?  I don't like to do that really and I guess it could reflect in their review, but I think I probably need to man up!

@Penny80

I say no, well I tell them where the local Laundry place is. I will put a load through for cyclists, they do not have the option to drive.

Does not happen that often.

David
Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

That's what I'll do from now on, thank you!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Penny80 I used to allow guests to use my kitchen and my laundry facilities. When guests started arriving with big bags of dirty clothes and expecting to do several loads while San Francisco was in a drought, I stopped offering th laundry. If someone asked, I would usually agree to one load. So many guests would return late and start cooking in my kitchen at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m., that I stopped offering it as well. Not to mention, if as a host, those areas are not spic and span, a host can ding you for that in reviews. I put microwave, kettle, coffeemaker and small fridge in the guest space, and I expect them to make do with that.

Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Hi Kate - thanks for your response.  I totally agree with you, in fact I think it was good of you to offer the laundry/kitchen in the first place!  Our guests have kettle and facilities in their room to make a drink and have a snack and I really think that is enough on a Bed and Breakfast rate.  I give them a good selection to eat at breakfast and most people seem happy with that.  But coming back from a full days work and then having to put someone else's washing on, with my laundry powder, then hang it out, get it dry, fold it and deliver it back to them for free is beyond the call I reckon!  Just got to find a nice way of telling guests that we don't offer that service 🙂 Thanks again!

Stingy nonsense... you guys are getting too picky with your cash flow and forgetting about the guest's needs. Nauseating one-sided stuff here. I type this from another "income property" where the host is off-site and probably owns 10 of these flip house-type properties. We have a few plates. No coffee cups. No access to a simple stack washer. Constant noise from the other occupants and paper-thin walls. $400 for the week (when an apartment will rent for $350/month in this area). 

@Lee197 holy cow! Please tell me where I can rent an apartment for $350/month! And they come fully furnished with a washer and dryer and everything? Seriously, that sounds incredible! 

@Katie201

Well you will not get anthing like that in Colorado! That much I can be certain of.

David

In Tempe, AZ... there are several listings in this price range on Craigslist, etc. 

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Penny80 at my previous listing, I gave access to washer/dryer for guests who stayed for 5 nights or more. However, due to the location of the laundry that was not out of sight, I caught others who did not stay for 5 nights using it behind me on purpose. I used to give full kitchen access too and that did not really working out for me. Some guests took over the whole kitchen and have no common sense that 1. it was my kitchen and 2. the kitchen was shared.

So, in my current listing, I have a limited kitchen access for guests. No stovetop cooking/oven. They can use the microwave and have space in the fridge. I provide the plates, spoons, cups, etc, and they can use the shared dining table for eating.

For laundry, I have the same rules, it is only for guests who stay for 5 nights or more for one load a week. I am the one who do the washing and drying and I hand them the clean laundry unfold. With the private location of the laundry room in the current house, fortunately nobody sneak in to try to use the laundry room behind me.

Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Hi Farah - good idea with stays of 5 nights or more. Will do that from now on and thank you for commenting!

@Penny80 you're welcome. I suggest for you to also have this clear in your listing, so it will not be a surprise for guests and they know what to expect/what the rules are.

Penny80
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Good idea, will add that on the listing. Thank you 😉