Do you charge for soiled sheets & towels?

Dunstan0
Level 3
Bath, United Kingdom

Do you charge for soiled sheets & towels?

Hi I would appreciate your input on this one.

As a host would you charge a guest for stained sheets and towels?

There is a towel with lipstick that won't come out and also I have some sheets that with stains that won't wash clean.

Do you consider this to be 'fair wear and tear' or would you charge when you notice a fresh make on linen or towels?

Sometimes guests have used white towels on the floor  which renders them useless for future guests. Obviously first step is to update my house rules to prevent it in future...

Another issue is menstrual blood. I'm not totally clear if this is due to carelessness or if it is 'just one of those things' but either way, guests aren't going to be happy if they check in and there is a blood stain on the sheets!!! Understandably so. It has only happened twice in a year but I'd like to have a clear policy in place for next time...

As a male host I would be most grateful for your input on these.

Does anyone know how hotels deal with it?

Thanks in advance,

Dunstan

=> AirBnB Host

=> Living Nutrition Advocate

=> Empowerment Coach

=> Inspired Community Catalyst

53 Replies 53
Caitlin7
Level 1
Spokane, WA

As a female host, I personally would not charge for these things. The blood in particular could be due to carelessness, but more likely is as much a surprise to the guest, and is probably so embarrassing for the guest that the conversation is not really worth it.

To me, the lipstick on the towels is far more frustrating because they chose to use your towel as a tissue to wipe away makeup. I still would consider it wear and tear. Hope this helps!

@Dunstan0 You can get all stains out if you know what products to use. Blood, wash with cold water, never hot because hot sets the stain, then soak in rust remover (the product made for laundry). Oxyclean sometimes works as well. I use only white sheets and have never experienced a situation where a sheet or towel has become useless if left on the floor. It takes more work to clean them, perhaps even soaking for a while, but they will come clean.

I just started hosting last month, and noticed mascara, foundation, and other makeup on my pillowcases and towels quite a few times during the first weeks.  I happened to see packs of makeup remover towelettes at the dollar store and bought a couple.  They're pop-up and re-sealable.  I put one on the bathroom counter with the other ammenities and have had no makeup on the towels or pillowcases in the couple of weeks since.

I am a female host and am pretty irritated. I realize this is an older thread, however I was looking for help also. My guests just left and were clearly aware they needed to deal with menstrual blood. To attempt to protect the bed during sex, they used the white towels to lay on, however this did not help. Now its the sheets, the towels and thankfully there was a mattress protector on the bed. Makeup is another whole subject. Half my face washcloths are ruined. I updated my policy to warn there will be a damage charge for abuse of the house which includes both subjects in addition to eating food that drops and stains in the bed. In addition from now on I will be sure to point out the house rules at booking and confirm there will be an additional claim for damage if this is abused. I know there are accidents for ladies but sometimes there is no excuse.

They are charging me £20 for slight menstrual blood mark which was ob accidental.  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Dunstan0 I've had all these things happen but I've been able to get all the stains out.  I did mention a situation where one of the guests left a lot of makeup on sheets, towels and pillow cases.  It was more work, but more of an annoyance than anything else.  

By the way, hydrogen peroxide diluted with water works miracles on blood.  Google it. 

I agree, hydrogen peroxide is the best solution as far as I know to remove blood stains. Learned this from the community and found myself in the situation and it worked very well. Just dilute it with water and let the clothing soak over night and next day just gently brush it and the magic will be revealed 🙂 Thanks all for your tips. Very helpful

Sonny2
Level 3
Seattle, WA

This is happening to me multiple times. I think we as host need to put our foot down and make it clear to guests. This is our home, Not a multi national hotel chain that uses harsh chemicals to get blood borne pathogens off expensive pluffy towels and duvet covers and sheets. I provide other less expensive towels and tell them to use them for wiping floors or other things. Would anyone really want to use towels another guest used to wipe off blood or fecal matter even after it was washed? Not me. ! therefore I wouldn't want any future guest to use it. My good nature of a sensible human towards another human. My basic thought is this always! " Would you rent this to your Mom or Children ?" 

My thoughts exactly! I am currently with a long stay guest (who fortunately leaves in a few days) and this morning changing his sheets I discovered a big blood stain on the bedspread, pillow case and pillow!! I will surely charge him for the pillow.. no matter how much I wash it or if I get the stain out, those items are not hygienic anymore... I wouldn't have a family membre sleep on/with them

Jan-and-Dave0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I use a small decorative bowl with two black washclothes and a note requesting they be used to remove makeup.  It has worked so far.P1050051 (1).jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jan-and-Dave0, this is a great idea. I stayed in an Airbnb last year and the host had a little box like you of flannels which were specifically for makeup removal and thought it was really useful. It is a really handy tip. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

There are some tissues specially for it and even well shaped to fit into the washroom rack. That way, you wouldn't need to spend money and time rewashing the towels every time they are used. They can dispose them and even can be flushed in the toilet. Thought another suggestion. 🙂

We have these and a few guests STILL wipe makeup on the hand towels. Apparently it works better, and they see no problem with damaging a host's property. C'est l'vie

@Jan-and-Dave0 Great idea!! I've been thinking about putting out make-up wipes or even a sign telling guests not to use the white towels to remove their make-up but this is much better!! I hope you don't mind if I borrow this idea for my Air BnB. 

Thanks, 

Allison