Do you count kids towards your guest total?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Do you count kids towards your guest total?

We have had a few reservation inquiries over the last week where the would-be guest says they have an infant. We don't take infants due to some very steep stairs in our very old cottage. After some back and forth explaining this, the infant turns into a 3 or 4-year-old, yet the guest did not indicate that in the inquiry.

We have a nightly charge for anyone above 2 guests and suddenly its "oh, I didn't realize kids counted and there was a charge...." (Methinks this is a tad disingenuous as ages are clearly listed and charges pop up with the added guest of that age.) Some of these requests have multiple pets and kids and while we don't charge a pet fee, these sorts of groups can be messy and require additional turnover time/lots of laundry. 

Are other hosts not counting children? If you have a charge over additional guests of a certain number,  do you collect that for kids? While we are happy to host families, we definitely need to charge appropriately. 

1 Best Answer
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ann72 @Laura2592 you CAN count infants... your house rules just need to say that all people must be listed, please mark all children in the children box. And yes, we get names and ages on all guests... and I don't provide anything different or extra to infants

it's just so unfortunate that computers are this difficult thing that can't be programmed to do different things for different users....

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 we charge for every body... including infants, including pets... and as soon as I knew an infant was actually a 3YO, that would be a decline, report/block. Hard NO.

**back before I quit allowing ABB animals, I had guests count them in the guest count too since there's no good system for charging a pet fee

I think your listing is actually pretty good at spelling out the 'only this many humans/pets' counting system

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  Yes, all humans are counted as a guest for us, but airbnb's policies on children are very confusing, they market that children 'can' can stay for free, but hosts can count them as guests, so its very disingenuous on the company's part.  

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

We don't charge for infants, but after the first two guests, we charge $15 for anyone three years of age and older. Its never been a problem yet, probably because we ask for the names of all guests staying with us.

@Laura2592  In a perfect world: Kids cost double.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592 @Mark116 @Larry339 @Kelly149 @Anonymous 

- how do you get a guest to count the infants in the guest count when Airbnb tells them infants don't count?

Children under two require a portacrib and a highchair, and as my best friend said when someone asked if they could bring their ~8-year-old boys for free, "Jelly all over the walls."  Really don't see why any of them should be free.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.03.17 AM.png

@Ann72  you can't count infants so we just don't allow them. We do allow kids and there is a charge at our place for any over 2 guests per person per night. Inquiring guests will say they have an infant to avoid the charges, I will say "oh, sorry! We don't allow infants due to safety issues" and then the inquiring guest reveals the "infant" is 3 and is great with stairs but oh my, that nightly fee! Shouldn't they be free...?

I am thinking we may go to adult-only hosting in the near future. 

@Laura2592  That's so annoying.  One of my listings allows children and I've had that conversation once or twice, especially when it comes to "How old will the infant be when you arrive?"  As you say, suddenly the infant is a toddler.  Grrr.

The other two listings are restricted to two adults each.  It's just easier.

@Ann72 We ask for the names of all guests regardless of age because our insurance carrier requires that information for insurance coverage. 

@Larry339  Nice move!  I think I'll institute that.

@Laura2592 

My listing is single occupancy and I state we don't allow a 2nd guest regardless of age. I seriously don't care what Airbnb says about infants not counting as guests. My house, my rules. 

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/your-space-your-rules-10

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ann72 @Laura2592 you CAN count infants... your house rules just need to say that all people must be listed, please mark all children in the children box. And yes, we get names and ages on all guests... and I don't provide anything different or extra to infants

it's just so unfortunate that computers are this difficult thing that can't be programmed to do different things for different users....

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

I refused to accept children and babies, in general, any children, and my life became much better after this decision).

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I count everyone. Mainly because of Chicago regulations. There is a maximum per sq footage regardless of age. If someone insists, I let them know there is a $2500 overcrowding ticket from the city and there is a counter installed. That usually shuts them up