Do you decorate for the holidays in your AirBnb?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Do you decorate for the holidays in your AirBnb?

We have a little stone cottage in the woods that is almost fully booked through the end of the year. We had a booking today for a few days before Christmas (we are also booked over Christmas) and the guest said he was looking forward to spending the holiday season at our cottage and that it must look great over Christmas.

Though our space could be super cute with the halls all decked, I am wondering how much, if any, effort we should go to. Should we do a tree? Lights? Not everyone celebrates Christmas so I don't want to offend anyone. We have a record player and I found a couple vintage holiday records at a thrift store, but that was about the extent of what I was going to do. We don't always have a tree at our house...

Thoughts? What do you do in your hosted space?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great topic @Laura2592 and one that I'm glad to learn more about. Seems generally hosts are conflicted as to whether to get the dec's up or not due to the diversity of their guests religious backgrounds. I wonder if the listing type may also influence this decision, also? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I've never done anything special, but I think some lights are nice, and maybe some non-religious festive decorations that wouldn't offend anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. An arrangement of  pussywillows and rosehips, some snowflake decorations, that sort of thing-seasonal rather than specifically relating to Christmas. A Christmas tree isn't something that non-Christians do, so I'd skip that. And you could leave a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates wrapped up in some wrapping paper that isn't specific to Christmas.

And I don't think there's anything offensive about asking a guest, if you feel like it- "We were thinking it would be nice to decorate the place a bit for the holidays. We don't care to pry into our guests' religious beliefs and don't want to offend anyone, so just wondering if you'd enjoy some decorations?" If they say "We'd love Christmas decorations!" then you could even get a small tabletop tree and decorate it.

Just don't do what another host did that a guest reported here (I doubt you would, most hosts wouldn't)- the hosts went in the place when the guests were out for the day and decorated the place for Halloween to "surprise" them. The guests were really upset that the hosts had gone inside without prior notice. 

Do you let the guest bring in a Christmas tree 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  That *bleep* that appeared in my post is hilarious! I guess I had to call them kittenwillows so as not to offend the computer bot 🙂

@Sarah977- that bleep is truly hilarious - I had a good chuckle over that!

@Susan1404  Profane plants- whodda thunk?

LOL

What's really funny is that *bleep* likely just makes everyone reading it immediately think of the sexual connotation of that word. If the bot hadn't bleeped it, no one would have thought twice about a plant name.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ha! I went and fixed it for you @Sarah977 ! Spambot is being a little overly cautious...

-----

Oh, thanks, @Stephanie. But it was so entertaining 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah, but there is no stopping spambot @Sarah977 . It's like Liam Neeson... it has a particular set of skills and will find you, and your pussywillows. 

-----

Jeffrey325
Level 2
California, United States

I just had a guest ask me if we decorated and if not, if it would be ok for them to bring a small Xmas tree and decor.  This booking wasn't even over the actual Christmas holiday!  It may not be a bad idea to have a small storage box with light decor for guests if they want it.  

@Jeffrey325  When they start setting up Christmas displays and items for sale in stores in Sept, I guess there's nothing that odd about guests wanting a Xmas tree even if the holiday is a couple weeks out 🙂

Jeffrey325
Level 2
California, United States

Agree with you.  Earlier and earlier every year.  I love Sayulita, BTW.  Was there for a wedding and a surf trip 3 years ago.  

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Laura2592- I first started hosting last November and had to decide whether I should decorate for Christmas or not.  I decided to do a few simple decorations on the front porch (my airbnb is a separate cabin from my own house).  I did a small tree inside with rustic decorations, and some shelf sitters.  As a final touch, I draped a Poinsettia garland across the mantle of the fireplace.  I was 90% booked through the holidays and everyone loved the decorations judging from the comments I received.  I will be doing the same this year, but will make a few changes to keep the look fresh.